Author Topic: ACC and Automatic Full Beam drop outs  (Read 81923 times)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
ACC and Automatic Full Beam drop outs
« on: January 03, 2024, 04:16:02 PM »
Has anyone had the following situation which happens to me fairly regularly?

You're in cruise on a dual carriageway or motorway and suddenly the ACC drops out and can't be reenabled.

At the same time the automatic full beam function is disabled. Lane keeping assist isn't affected.

To fix I need to pull into a lay-by, stop and briefly put the car into P. ACC and auto full beam functions are then restored.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: ACC and Automatic Full Beam drop outs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:59:25 PM »
I don’t use the auto lights as I always dip the headlights before the on coming car appears .I find night driving annoying when too many cars facing you need your headlights to trigger the dipping function . Range rovers and new land rovers are awful for doing it made worse by their headlamps higher off the ground than must cars . Sorry deviation from question

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 09:33:41 PM »
Others have reported similar behaviour with the ACC:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14258.0

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 05:06:22 PM »
I don’t use the auto lights as I always dip the headlights before the on coming car appears .I find night driving annoying when too many cars facing you need your headlights to trigger the dipping function . Range rovers and new land rovers are awful for doing it made worse by their headlamps higher off the ground than must cars . Sorry deviation from question
You can disable auto high beam but keep auto lights if that helps.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 05:40:59 PM »
Ah thank you ! I will go have a read on that one !👍

nowster

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 02:53:50 PM »
Flashing the high beam turns off automatic high beam. Flashing it again turns it on again.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 08:18:47 AM »
Flashing the high beam turns off automatic high beam. Flashing it again turns it on again.
Does this remain off indefinitely or is it reactivated upon the next time you start the car?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 08:27:07 AM »
This is another bit of car tech I don't see the point of

It's so simple to push the stalk away and pull it back between dipped and main beam

I can see approaching headlights from round bends far sooner than the sensor can and take action before annoying oncoming drivers, cyclists, pedestrians
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 11:14:05 AM »
Does this remain off indefinitely or is it reactivated upon the next time you start the car?

...Reactivated unless you switch off in the menu.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 06:53:48 PM »
P352/356 of manual to switch off auto high beam permanently

infotainment screen.... vehicle setting.... lighting setup

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 08:48:43 PM »
I don't understand why people don't use the auto high beam function...
I always drive with auto high beam activated and I'm really impressed. It works absolutely flawlessly!
In over 16 months I have never (indeed, not once!) had an angry flash reaction from an oncoming car.

Germans test everything and they do it thoroughly. Also the lighting of cars. Here's a test of the Jazz's (Crosstar) LED headlights:

The video speaks for itself, I translate the valuation (4:18) for you:

impeccable!
Very satisfactory for standard lighting technology.
Responding to oncoming and ahead traffic is just as reliable.

To compare: the Toyota Yaris:

Valuation (5:11):

Because of the fog, it was an "increased level of difficulty."
Nevertheless, the reaction to oncoming and ahead traffic could be much better. Even without fog, oncoming traffic was briefly blinded.
The illumination of the high beam is also more selective in the distance and only conditionally "helpful".

I probably wouldn't use it in a Yaris... :(
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 09:05:58 PM »
...I think over the last 35yrs it would be safe to say that I've activated 'high beam' with intent, less than 35 times. So for me Auto high beam is an unused feature!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:04:13 AM by shufty »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 09:14:20 PM »
I don't understand why people don't use the auto high beam function...
I’d agree it works well (at least in my Mk3, can’t speak for the Mk4 but I assume it’s similar) for oncoming and preceding traffic, and also when good street lighting means you don’t need full beam. But it’s not so good for pedestrians, cyclists, traffic waiting to emerge from side roads, and on winding country roads where the preceding car is constantly disappearing and reappearing. So, like most of the auto systems, it’s great in most situations but you have to be aware of its shortcomings and be prepared to override it if it’s hindering rather than helping.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 10:27:12 AM »
I keep it  on and its generally quite good. But I do monitor it and sometimes override it manually in the  circumstances described by Colin B.  Occasionally I  keep the high beam on for slightly longer than the auto system if I judge a car approaching from round a bend is not yet  going to be affected by it. But With this level of attention I can just as easily always do it manually.

I suppose even in the old days  some drivers were never very considerate with dipping their lights, and they are much brighter now.(The lights that is. I have doubts about some drivers)  Not something that was taught or needed much  in typical driving lessons.   If technology can take the place of drivers having the responsibility  its progress I suppose.   

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 02:03:58 PM »
I can see approaching headlights from round bends far sooner than the sensor can and take action before annoying oncoming drivers, cyclists, pedestrians

This is also something I don't understand. Why would you switch to dipped light sooner than perfectly on time?
And about cyclists: if they use decent (LED) lighting and not a candle flame (or no lighting at all), our Jazz responds most of the time normally and dippes.
Pedestrians are much more likely to be visible at a greater distance when you use high beam, just like those cyclists without (adequate) lighting. Once you've seen them, you can of course pull that stalk... ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 02:07:32 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: