Author Topic: Steering wheel lock please?  (Read 71040 times)

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
Steering wheel lock please?
« on: December 09, 2023, 10:19:24 AM »
Looking for best to buy?.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Re: Steering wheel lock please?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 10:25:31 AM »
I have a Stoplock Pro Elite which i bought for my previous car (BMW X1) which fitted over the large steering wheel 'hub'.  Fits my Jazz well too, though I believe that the sort that completely cover the wheel provide the best security but are heavy and their size makes storage difficult.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 11:32:52 AM »
+1 for Stoplock, why target Jazz when you can be off inside 2 mins on JLR vehicles

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 11:56:31 AM »
Disklok is the strongest option, although a more expensive option.

A recent article I read suggested that these days they are stealing just about all cars, Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage being high on the thief's list. 
JLR, particularly Range Rovers have an issue, but this is related more to pre 2022 versions, which JLR are addressing with a key software update to enable the key go into sleep mode.

Another option to improve car security is to disable the comfort access.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »
Stoplock pro here. Fits the wheel perfectly, easy to use. The arm rests nicely on the gear stick panel/trim.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:05:28 PM »
+1 for Stoplock, why target Jazz when you can be off inside 2 mins on JLR vehicles

Maybe because those JLR vehicles have a Bearlock installed?

If nothing goes right, go left!

FMIB

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 12:16:07 PM »
I always have my fingers crossed that no one will want to steal my Jaguar when my Jazz is sitting next to it on the drive  ;)

Still, my Jaguar has the Secure Tracker Pro fitted(3 year subscription) which hopefully addresses both the key issues and tracks the car since it is Thatcham S5 compliant

Thatcham Category S5 is for devices that provide post-theft vehicle tracking and Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR). ADR is a feature on premium tracking products that identifies approved drivers. These identifiers are usually small tags the driver keeps on their keys or on their person. Vehicle movement without a tag will automatically send an alert to the owner directly.

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »
Can you take a Jazz without  having the keyfob?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 08:53:06 PM »
Can you take a Jazz without  having the keyfob?

I use the Stoplock, but I also keep the key in two Faraday bags, and they live in the microwave at the back of the house. That should stop any signal escaping to their devices. My 2nd key has the battery removed.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 10:54:52 PM »
And all this effort and money, while it takes 3 or 4 seconds to simply turn of the reception off the key?  :o
Just read on the right side of page 169 of the manual:
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:09:43 PM by Jazzik »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 04:03:50 AM »
If you do get a steering wheel locking device don't do what a friend of mine did

He got out of his Mazda and duly fitted the lock which just ratcheted shut over the steering wheel .......... then realised the key was still at home

What a bad design to not need the key to lock it

As per an above post, we know we can disable the key fobs with the 2 button trick but I didn't know till yesterday that a microwave oven is a faraday cage
Put a mobile phone inside a microwave, shut the door and try to ring it, then just open the microwave door and try again
Let's be careful out there !

FMIB

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 05:59:36 AM »
A microwave is all well and good as a faraday cage, up to the point that the wife forgets your keys are still in there and heats up a meal!

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 07:25:42 AM »
As per an above post, we know we can disable the key fobs with the 2 button trick but I didn't know till yesterday that a microwave oven is a faraday cage
I learned this from Snwoden  :)

My "Faraday" cage (the older Smint boxes fit the fob quite snugly still allowing for some padding - the new ones still fit but are a bit longer, flater and wider):

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.41
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 07:28:00 AM »
And all this effort and money, while it takes 3 or 4 seconds to simply turn of the reception off the key?  :o
Just read on the right side of page 169 of the manual:
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf

Also quoted in preceding page is keyfob battery life of approx 2 years, I got a low key battery warning last week on the dash, 2 years and 1 month since new, battery change easy,

Tags: