Author Topic: Jazz Mk. V Requirements  (Read 4305 times)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Jazz Mk. V Requirements
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 05:40:18 PM »
Provide thermostatically controlled shutters for the engine compartment and let the the aircon run in reverse as a heat pump in cold weather which currently has a significant negative impact on the mpg.

How would that differ from a heater that is connected to the engine cooling system like in conventional cars?

Heat pumps used for heating in cold weather do become less and less efficient as the exterior temperature drops.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 06:53:05 PM »
Provide thermostatically controlled shutters for the engine compartment and let the the aircon run in reverse as a heat pump in cold weather which currently has a significant negative impact on the mpg.

How would that differ from a heater that is connected to the engine cooling system like in conventional cars?

Heat pumps used for heating in cold weather do become less and less efficient as the exterior temperature drops.
As you'll shortly discover when the cold weather arrives, the engine has to run more of the time than is needed for getting from A to B in order to provide heat for itself and the cabin. Also, as the system is designed for optimum engine efficiency, there's less waste heat and the intermittent engine operation of the hybrid system creates more opportunity for the engine to cool down, particularly in urban conditions but less so in fast driving where the engine has to work continuously. I think the problem is worse on the Crosstar with its bigger front grille (the basic Jazz shows how little grille is needed) plus the Crosstar lacks the undertray which means more draught from below. It might also be possible to tap into the cooling system for the battery pack.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »
Being a long time owner of a Mk1 and a Mk2 Jazz I was looking forward to purchasing a Mk4.  However I left the showroom disappointed, the floor area of the boot has become too small for my needs, a lager floor area is more useful to me than a tall boot.  Secondly, as has been mentioned many times, the passenger seat needs height adjustment.  My wife said she felt she was sitting on the floor.

Also reading on this forum that some owners have a start-up procedure of switching off driver aids because they are too intrusive makes me glad I bought a Toyota.  I just get in and drive.  It has the same safety features and driver aids as the Jazz and they work as you would expect.  Even though my Corolla has a low stance, with the seats pumped up my wife and I are happy with the view out. 

The Jazz is a good car and the hybrid system is one of the best and if the above concerns are addressed I could be back in a Jazz.

P.S. I have just had a look at the hr-v on Honda's web site and for me the prices look high.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 11:00:54 PM »
Although the Crosstar has a larger grill I don't think this adds extra cooling over the standard Jazz since the top half of it is actually blanked off. However I agree not having an undertray may well add to cooling and slightly reduce overall air dynamics and hence fuel consumption. Therefore an undertray on the Crosstar would be good and I'd certainly like the Blind spot and Rear cross traffic alerts that are on the standard EX model to be on the Crosstar as well.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 07:55:08 AM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a Mark 5 in the way that you’re thinking of it, ie a development of the current model line. If Honda were to introduce one in 5 or 6 years time (which seems to be a typical Jazz life cycle), then that’ll be just before the 2030 ban on ICEs. That may not leave enough time for Honda to be able to sell enough units to cover the development costs. More likely is we’ll see a new all-electric model somewhere between the ‘e’ and the Jazz sometime in the late 2020’s, with maybe one or two facelifts on the Mk4 to keep sales going until new ICE sales stop and folks are forced to buy an electric car.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
I think you will find that the sale of new hybrids are not banned from 2030 but have been granted extra time up to 2035. By which time I shall probably be dead, as will many current Jazz owners if the age demographic is to be believed!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
I think you will find that the sale of new hybrids are not banned from 2030 but have been granted extra time up to 2035.

Not (quite) correct. The hybrids that can still be sold up to 2035 have to be able to travel a "significant distance" without tailpipe emissions. Exactly what'll count as "significant" is still under discussion, but some sources suggest it'll be around 20 or 30 miles. That would certainly not include the Jazz Mk4, and may well rule out anything that isn't a PHEV.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fleet-news/electric-fleet-news/2021/03/10/hybrid-significant-distance-consultation-announced-ahead-of-ban

In any case, that doesn't really change the argument that anything with an ICE in it is on the way out, so manufacturers are unlikely to develop new models if they can't see a commercial return.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
Better alloy wheels would be good - the current ones with the alloy/plastic spokes are fiddly to clean and don't give you easy access to the brakes for cleaning dust.

They also don't protect from kerb scrapes, I had a loan SR and that had scraped alloys despite the plastic spokes that stick out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2021, 02:34:14 PM »
You know what they say about equipment designed by a committee,
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
Virtually all the changes people are requesting for the Mk5 Jazz could easily be incorporated into the Mk4 on any new model year:

Height Adjustable passenger Seat - simple change as these are fitted as drivers seat to left hand drive Jazz sold in most other countries.

Sensible sized wheels/tyres - again simple change just needs accrediting by Honda UK.

Undertray - how hard can that be?

Okay PHEV would need major development but otherwise the other changes could be effected tomorrow.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »
You know what they say about equipment designed by a committee,

... one hump or two?  ;D

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2021, 04:19:50 PM »
Better alloy wheels would be good - the current ones with the alloy/plastic spokes are fiddly to clean and don't give you easy access to the brakes for cleaning dust.

They also don't protect from kerb scrapes, I had a loan SR and that had scraped alloys despite the plastic spokes that stick out.
Those wheels are naff I reckon. Why dress up mag-alloy wheels so they look like old fashioned steel wheels pretending to be mag-alloy's? I'd be happy with honest steel wheels.
Neil Ives

guest4871

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
Perhaps we could have NCAP4 and NCAP5 models and let the buyer decide?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2021, 07:45:25 PM »

Those wheels are naff I reckon. Why dress up mag-alloy wheels so they look like old fashioned steel wheels pretending to be mag-alloy's? I'd be happy with honest steel wheels.

Could it be for the same reason as Tesla uses the Aero wheel covers? Watch this: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30169467/tesla-model-3s-aero-wheel-covers-efficiency-test/

If nothing goes right, go left!

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2021, 07:51:47 PM »
When I look at the existing mechanical / electric configuration of the Mk4 Jazz, I believe it would be straightforward to manufacture the Jazz as a PHEV (or for someone to retro-fit the Mk4 as a PHEV).
This fits with the trend for batteries increasing in power density but tending to stay the same physical size,
That's probably what form the Jazz Mk5 will take - it will, however, kill off the Honda E

Tags: