Author Topic: Look At This Tyre.....  (Read 3868 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Look At This Tyre.....
« on: July 15, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »
I was sat in my car listening to the radio while Mrs Westy was shopping, when a MK1 Jazz Sport parked in the spot next to me. Well, have a look at the tyre on the NSF !!  :o

A new tyre can only be £50 or so, really gets me cross when people run a motor in such a condition. I know we all see it daily, but not noticed it on a Jazz before!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Look At This Tyre.....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »
Seems to have enough tread depth just needs to get the tracking sorted.
Where I used to work someone was driving on a space saver that was showing the steel in the tyre. Needless to say a work colleague informed the police and he was stopped a few days later when leaving work.
I don't know what the outcome was.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
Nah, that's fine.

This one seems OK as well:

:D
Let's be careful out there !

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
As long as the tread depth is above 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tyre then it's not an issue, regardless of what the tyre police on this and other forums say.

Many suggest replacing them at 3mm but personally If 1.6mm is legal then there is no reason not to run them down to 1.6mm. Even Michelin have said that this is pointless and that tyres would be worn down to 1.6mm.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
As long as the tread depth is above 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tyre then it's not an issue, regardless of what the tyre police on this and other forums say.

Many suggest replacing them at 3mm but personally If 1.6mm is legal then there is no reason not to run them down to 1.6mm. Even Michelin have said that this is pointless and that tyres would be worn down to 1.6mm.

I agree, it seems OK with more expensive tyres, but not the cheap and cheerful ones.... ( which are sometimes not real safe even when new ).   https://www.roundtriptyres.co.uk/tyre-guide/should-i-change-my-tyres-at-3mm/

Thinking of the environment,  raising the limit to 3mm would have a huge impact on the number of tyres that get thrown away.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »

I'm sure I heard somebody from Michelin saying exactly that in an interview. This must have been at least 5 years ago.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 05:14:49 PM »
Seems like a false economy. The tyres are your only contact with the road, for £50 a corner, it has to be right.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 05:22:05 PM »
Absolutely, never skimp on tyres or brakes.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
From Michelin: (underlining mine.)

If the surface of the tread rubber is level with these raised areas, the tyre tread depth is most likely very close to the legal limit of 1.6 mm. Beyond this limit, you are putting your safety at risk and you are breaking the law. Even if the remaining tread depth is greater than 1.6 mm, you should adapt your speed and driving style to the external conditions, particularly on wet roads. Something we should all do irrespective of the tread depth.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tips-and-advice/advice-auto/when-to-replace-tyres][url]https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tips-and-advice/advice-auto/when-to-replace-tyres[/url]

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 07:39:58 PM »

I'm sure I heard somebody from Michelin saying exactly that in an interview. This must have been at least 5 years ago.
Saying what? That tyres should be replaced at 3mm or that they should be run down to 1.6mm?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
They were saying it was acceptable to run the tyres down to 1.6 mm. I wonder if this was a spokesman going rogue. I must admit I'd not be too comfortable going too far below 3mm myself.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
I would not like to drive on snow with 1.6mm summer tyre depth..
Grip is bad enough with 8mm..

You can have a very spectacular spin at 20 mph with worn rear tyres.
Do not ask how I know. (It was a BMW 318i many years ago).

Michelin CCs are on 5mm so good for 3 years yet

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »

There are reasons to avoid running tyres down to 1.6 mm wait until it is raining with pooling of water!
As the the tread depth diminishes, the tyre loses capacity to clear water, the 1.6mm  tyre will  be prone to aquaplane over the tarmac surface, steering control and braking capacity will be  diminished or even lost altogether.  The UK limit of 1.6mm is probably too close for comfort, I believe other countries enforce greater depths for minimum tread, there is no excuse to skimping on tyres, they actually a bargain for the important function they perform. What do you save anyway? Four set of tyres in 10 years, or 5 sets in 10 years of motoring, That is a difference of only £20 / annum, barely worth the bother

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
The narrower the tyre the less distance water has to travel to the edge to escape,  so narrower tyres with 1.6mm probably  better than a wide tyre with 3mm on standing water,   Not sure if tread depth of a ribbed summer tyre matters much on snow anyway as winter tyres work by trapping snow, softer compound and a lot more sipes...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:27:46 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything