Author Topic: Look At This Tyre.....  (Read 3869 times)

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: Look At This Tyre.....
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »
Found this on youtube

Second half of video is a braking test From 30 mph to a stop,  worn tyres  with 1.6 mm tread, emergency braking  distance increased by an addition of  2 car lengths over new tyres on a wet road with surface water, and note, only 30 mph to zero.  First half of video shows stability issues and skid recovery problems of worn / budget tyres on wet roads with surface water
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:53:37 PM by E27006 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »
I have found Michelin tyres not real good in wet anyway,  but give good wear,  it is a trade-off between mileage and grip really,  and the harder, longer wearing compound lacks grip on dry or wet roads, I noticed a huge difference when I stopped using Michelin ES and fitted Avons - both in grip grip and handling.  I used to get Michelin due to high annual mileage and understood to trade off between grip and mileage,  but now at about 5K a year per car (we have two cars used mainly on alternate trips ) the lower mileage / treadwear rating of the Avons does not bother me,  but the grip is awesome, wet or dry. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
It is strange that Michelin is advocating changing your tyres less often. Irrespective of their stance on the matter, as a tyre supplier you would think they would just keep quiet, not advocate running tyres for longer.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »
I have found Michelin tyres not real good in wet anyway,  but give good wear,  it is a trade-off between mileage and grip really,  and the harder, longer wearing compound lacks grip on dry or wet roads
Yes, I have noted the same. Mileage, decent noise and good handling has kept me using mainly Michelins for a long time. Factory mounted Dunlops in my Jazz are wearing so fast, that it seems I need to get Michelins already next summer.

Knowing wery well the negative effect on grip, I try to get tires that are made several years ago, as that gives even more mileage. Harder rubber also imporoves the handling. According to my experience, if annual mielage is low enough, a tyre is good for more than twenty years. After 25-30 years the plies tend to break causing a bulge, which you can feel very well inside the car. I have had that happen couple of times. Never had any sudden failure.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:08:17 AM by TnTkr »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 07:12:46 AM »
25 - 30 years  :o

and there's me worrying about my 2012 manufactured tyres on my 2013 car that still have 5mm tread on them due to only having covered 25k.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 07:48:55 AM »
25 - 30 years  :o

and there's me worrying about my 2012 manufactured tyres on my 2013 car that still have 5mm tread on them due to only having covered 25k.

Tyres up to  5 years old can legally be sold as 'new'.......

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
Of course a tyre loosees some performance during the years, but if the driver takes that into account, it is very much usable for twenty years.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »
Of course a tyre loosees some performance during the years, but if the driver takes that into account, it is very much usable for twenty years.

I believe tyres also get more porous as they age,  requiring pressurised air to be added more often....

Just like tyres people also lose their grip as they age.....

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »
It is correct to state that Rubber can last 30+ years, that is why it is used as an insulator on railway power and signalling  cables which can withstand  30 years in the open exposed to the UK  climate. 
My local independent tyre fitter showed me mechanical failures of modern tyres, it is a trend beginning around 2010,  the failure is a circumferential crack at the crown of the tyre, where the crown is the 90 degree corner between the sidewall and the tread, flex the tire you can see all the way to the white material of the carcass, as it is a recent problem he thinks it is due to changes in tyre compounds,  tyre compounds have been re-formulated over the decade to reduce rolling resistance and save fuel,  perhaps he has given away the answer

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 02:40:49 PM »

I believe tyres also get more porous as they age,  requiring pressurised air to be added more often....

Just like tyres people also lose their grip as they age.....
You may very well be right. I haven't noted it, but I check tyre pressures with a meter on compressor hose, and I feel need to adjust pressure every time I check it, because some air comes out while pushing the connector on valve. Currently I don't have older than 12 years old car tyres in use.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 03:13:00 PM »
It is correct to state that Rubber can last 30+ years, that is why it is used as an insulator on railway power and signalling  cables which can withstand  30 years in the open exposed to the UK  climate. 
My local independent tyre fitter showed me mechanical failures of modern tyres, it is a trend beginning around 2010,  the failure is a circumferential crack at the crown of the tyre, where the crown is the 90 degree corner between the sidewall and the tread, flex the tire you can see all the way to the white material of the carcass, as it is a recent problem he thinks it is due to changes in tyre compounds,  tyre compounds have been re-formulated over the decade to reduce rolling resistance and save fuel,  perhaps he has given away the answer

Anyone who has ever rewired an older house with VRI ( vulcanised rubber insulation ) cable and had the rubber crumble to dust ( like a vampire in sunlight ) will know that even in total darkness rubber does not last for ever.  It is mainly sunlight that destroys things ( high energy UV light ), UV can destroy pretty much anything if exposed long enough, one of the reasons Red paint fades so much is that it absorbs the high energy rays at blue end of spectrum.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
They were saying it was acceptable to run the tyres down to 1.6 mm. I wonder if this was a spokesman going rogue. I must admit I'd not be too comfortable going too far below 3mm myself.
If it was unsafe/dangerous we wouldn't be allowed to do it and tyre manufactures wouldn't guarantee a tyre safety down to 1.6mm. I run mine down to 1.6mm all the time and while you can notice the reduced grip, it's not that drastic although the car recently has been wiggling on the motorway when going over standing water. If the tyres aquaplane completly you get a little wheelspin at motorway speeds which is alarming.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »
As long as the tread depth is above 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tyre then it's not an issue, regardless of what the tyre police on this and other forums say.

Many suggest replacing them at 3mm but personally If 1.6mm is legal then there is no reason not to run them down to 1.6mm. Even Michelin have said that this is pointless and that tyres would be worn down to 1.6mm.
There are reasons to avoid running tyres down to 1.6 mm wait until it is raining with pooling of water!
As the the tread depth diminishes, the tyre loses capacity to clear water, the 1.6mm  tyre will  be prone to aquaplane over the tarmac surface, steering control and braking capacity will be  diminished or even lost altogether.  The UK limit of 1.6mm is probably too close for comfort, I believe other countries enforce greater depths for minimum tread, there is no excuse to skimping on tyres, they actually a bargain for the important function they perform. What do you save anyway? Four set of tyres in 10 years, or 5 sets in 10 years of motoring, That is a difference of only £20 / annum, barely worth the bother
The tyres I fit work out at 30 quid a tyre and while they are awful in every way possible, they have done thousands of miles in rain and even snow up over Dartmoor in early January. I refuse to pay 60-70 quid a corner when the cheap ones do the job just fine.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »

The tyres I fit work out at 30 quid a tyre and while they are awful in every way possible, they have done thousands of miles in rain and even snow up over Dartmoor in early January. I refuse to pay 60-70 quid a corner when the cheap ones do the job just fine.
[/quote]

Well it's your choice, but did you watch the video showing the budget tyres performing as poorly as a worn tyre? The inabilty to regain control when the good tyres were barely affected.
Another test I have seen measured treadwear rates, the budget tyrtes wore out quickly negating the saving at purchase. 
If budget tyres are so fit for purpose, why do the car makers avoid using them as a factory fit?
Even the cost-concious Dacia Sandero at £7995 OTR new, leaves the factory with Continental tyres all round,  Continental are a highly regarded maker,  most certainly not a budget brand
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:06:28 PM by E27006 »

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 04:20:34 PM »
Like I said earlier, tyres are a very important necessity.
Good quality tyres give you piece of mind, particularly if you are doing long journeys on A roads,motorways,etc, this is where they come into their own.
But if you are just poodling around town, the budget tyres basicly do the job, the journeys are low speed, and you are seldom far from home.

Tags: