Author Topic: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport  (Read 10046 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 11:00:03 PM »
Do the 3 nuts supplied fit the shouldered bolts, or are they too big?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:36:23 PM by sparky Paul »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 01:10:51 AM »
Cheers all, I guessed the 2 bolt/3 bolt flanges wrong way round.

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz se sport
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
Thanks Sparky Paul for your help :)

Yes the 3 nuts supplied dont fit the bolts and are too big.

I had a look on the new middle pipe rear joint and its just 2 holes and i looked on existing joint on the car and there are nuts at the end of the spring bolts so do you know what size nuts go on?

I was guessing M8 for the 3 missing bolts for the cat/centre flange until you mentioned M10, is size critical?
Sorry for so many questions but I just want to get the right bits together so the job goes smoothly.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 04:35:52 PM »
I know some car exhaust flange joints use fine series M10x1.25 threads on nuts/studs. Worth checking carefully to avoid getting wrong items.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
I was guessing M8 for the 3 missing bolts for the cat/centre flange until you mentioned M10, is size critical?

It would be a lot easier if I had them in my hand  ;D

As embee says, M10 is a common size for flat faced exhaust flanges, usually the ovalled type locking nut. You just want the biggest thread that will go through the hole, as snug as possible.

According to the Honda manual, the shouldered spring bolts should be M8, the cat flange M10.

Two useful pages - expand the pic with the grey button, then double click to zoom

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00A18400025501KDAT00.HTML

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/K0/SAA2EK0A18400025601KBAT00.HTML
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:11:56 PM by sparky Paul »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
The original cat had the three studs welded to the flange, I think that's why the fitting kit only has the nuts.

A bit stingy of them not to supply three bolts with the new cat.

wil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 08:58:19 PM »
The saga continues, had my 17 year old Mk1 CAT stolen outside my house last week, don't know why they bother as probably on it's last legs. Tried to confront them but as soon as I step foot outside one chap had a pole in his hand ready to threaten me, not worth the risk in the end.

I bought the full kit including the CAT shield, fitted it all myself over the weekend on axel stands.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Converter-Complete-Exhaust-Anti-Theft-Guard-Sensors-Jazz-Kit/174558941372?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz&hash=item28a48610bc:g:-vsAAOSwGzpf14a0

The two downpipe bolts were a breeze and came off easily, I guess being so close to the engine \ CAT the high temperatures kept them in good condition.  As already mentioned, the CAT to middle section 3-hole flange had no bolts supplied, only 3 x M10 self-locking nuts and a gasket, I went and purchased some M10 x 40mm bolts and heavy duty washers from a local DIY store to complete the install.  The self-locking nuts were a struggle to tighten as I assume by design that's how it's supposed to be, this but took longer than everything else and left me with a dead arm...lol.

Fitting the CAT shield wasn't too difficult, undo both the inner lower wishbone bolts to attach the front section of the shield, the other holes had to be drilled through the hollow chassis rail in order to attach the 6 remaining self-tapping screws, these holes needs to be drill to a diameter of around 5.5 - 6mm in order for the screws to go in easily or you'll end up snapping them like I did.

The O2 sensors supplied with this kit worked absolutely fine with my CVT Jazz despite what was mentioned in other posts regarding manual and CVT incompatibility.  Cleared the codes with my own diagnostics ran the car for the past few days whilst capturing the O2 sensor functionality and everything responds as expected with no logged fault codes.  The only slight issue is that the post CAT O2 sensor did not come with the grommet for the wiring entering the hand-brake area, I'd cut off the grommet from the old sensor and installed it onto the new sensor wire then used a small cable tie to secure it in place to stop it sliding around.

Hope this info helps anyone wishing to DIY, cheers
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:03:32 PM by wil »

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 12:40:35 AM »
....... purchased some M10 x 40mm bolts and heavy duty washers from a local DIY store to complete the install.  The self-locking nuts were a struggle to tighten as I assume by design that's how it's supposed to be, this but took longer than everything else and left me with a dead arm...lol.
From the link given by Sparky Paul, the image shows the 3 nuts are M10x1.25, fine pitch. If you got "standard" M10 bolts they will be M10x1.5 coarse pitch. They will be tight to fit together!

wil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »
....... purchased some M10 x 40mm bolts and heavy duty washers from a local DIY store to complete the install.  The self-locking nuts were a struggle to tighten as I assume by design that's how it's supposed to be, this but took longer than everything else and left me with a dead arm...lol.
From the link given by Sparky Paul, the image shows the 3 nuts are M10x1.25, fine pitch. If you got "standard" M10 bolts they will be M10x1.5 coarse pitch. They will be tight to fit together!

Well that explains it then, it's on nice and tight now and probably never going to come off..lol

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »
Damm..I just brought the same M10 bolts as you Wil, not sure whether to just force them on like you or wait for delivery another week and get the 1.25 thread bolts which cost a fortune for what they are!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:55:09 AM by Stinger888 »

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
... or get M10x1.5 nuts to go with the bolts you have.

Fine threads are usually less prone to coming undone, but you can use methods which wouldn't be appropriate for a manufacturer. I'd suggest increasing the bolt "stretch" length by adding washers or spacers, the longer the part of the fastener in tension the more "springy" it is, and what tends to make them come undone is relaxation of the clamped parts (gaskets etc). With a longer clamping "spring" the small relaxation has much less effect on making it lose clamp load.
You can add thread-lock and/or a secondary locknut, threadlock will still provide some strength even at 200C (it turns into a "glass" phase, not very strong but still locking).
Exhaust locknuts are usually deformed thread designs, nyloc inserts won't survive the temperature.

Arthur70

• Art
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz ex
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 06:02:47 PM »
what I dont understand about cat thieves is what do they do with them, are they just for scrap, in which case the yards are not doing their job proper, ie checking ID.
If its for sale(fleabay) then the police are not doing their job.

Its not just the cost of replacement its also any collateral damage.  I had a friend whos cat was ripped out using an angle grinder causing no end of damage.

what a sickener.
Art

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I posted this in the FS&W section

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12923.0

RTG cat anti-theft plate is currently available with a 15% off ebay voucher, until 16/03/21.

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 11:44:38 PM »
At last my Jazz is back on the road after 4-5 hours of taking out damaged parts, alot of cursing and fitting the new cat, centre section and lamba sensors. On 1st Startup it was quite smokey and I dont know why but it sounded like a slipping clutch sound but after it few anxious minutes the mysterious sound went.

The AA recently did a Airbag recall at my home and I saw a Airbag light as well as the Engine light..hoping to call them back so they can sort it...does the Engine light go by disconnecting the battery!?

Will be adding extra security around the driveway and getting cables welded onto the cat.

Thanks to everyone who commented/give advice ..it was much appreciated  :)

Praying the Low lifes wont be back again

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 09:04:30 AM »
The AA recently did a Airbag recall at my home and I saw a Airbag light as well as the Engine light..hoping to call them back so they can sort it...does the Engine light go by disconnecting the battery!?

You may have to rest the EML with a diagnostic tool, a generic OBD reader should do it. If the AA come back for a visit, they could do it if you chat kindly to them ;)

Never heard of the AA doing faulty airbag recalls, that's a new one on me.

Tags:

anything