Author Topic: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport  (Read 10045 times)

dbjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2007 1.4 SE CVT
Re: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2021, 12:04:05 AM »
An update on our cat theft and replacment (a non Honda garage replaced the cat and sensors under insurance). 

The EML was coming on every month or so afterwards, particularly on a motorway up a hill.  I code read them: 2 errors one on each sensor. P0131 and p0131.  We arranged to take the car back to the garage in March 2020 , I read the codes the day before, still showing.  They took it in and miraculously could not read any codes.  I put my reader back on and the codes had disappeared!  I have no doubt the garage just wiped them but can't prove it.  Giveaway was the hostility of the manager when, very politely, I asked the likelihood of the codes disappearing overnight. 

EML did come on again after this but my partner whose car it is never arranged a date to go back and touch wood EML has not shown recently.  The garage insisted they put genuine Honda sensors on but I wouldn't believe a word they say. BTW they had originally failed to replace the plastic undercover the thieves had undone half of, and which I had carefully saved.  They threw it away!  The March 2020 visit was partly for them to replace that. 

Garage is a coachworks co in Ashford Middlesex, PM me if you need to know who the cowboys are.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
EML did come on again after this but my partner whose car it is never arranged a date to go back and touch wood EML has not shown recently.

P0131 could have been a leak at the manifold joint, hopefully it went away as the fire ring gasket sooted up.

Garage sounds like a bunch of shysters, but you were lucky to get it done on insurance - many are written off.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »
https://news.met.police.uk/news/police-operation-to-stop-thefts-of-catalytic-converters-423914?fbclid=IwAR0NIE1lVMqqy_IlpzTPiDJPH17NTNwJ-pPFn1baOAAL1XBuVTO8-ZE4j4I

Good post. It's great to read that some attention is being paid to the crime. From the article:

"On the Essex coast, police officers intercepted a shipping container believed to contain stolen metal and car parts, which was due to be shipped to the Ivory Coast to be processed and refined."

>:( So that's where they end up!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 08:24:42 PM »
Anyone experience or thoughts on the CatClamp?

http://www.catsafe.org.uk/index.html?product=standard-catclamp

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:57 PM »
Anyone experience or thoughts on the CatClamp?

http://www.catsafe.org.uk/index.html?product=standard-catclamp

Got to be careful that the flange of the catclamp is not the lowest point under the car, some speedbumps are tall enough to do some damage to the exhaust if too low.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

billyausten

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE3 Jazz Sport
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »
This concern is what swung the catlock for me. A ground strike on the Catlock is just likely to scrape it and make some noise. There is limited scope to snag or catch anything. A ground strike on a catclamp may well loose you the very thing you are trying to protect! All the loops of wire hanging down look like a snagging hazard to me. Don't get me wrong, I think the system would be good where the cat is typically higher off the ground, a van for example. It is just not the most suitable for a jazz specifically out of the available options.
Current: '08 GE3 Sport, '97 CE1 Aerodeck 2.2iES
Previous Hondas: CA5 CC1 EE8 EE9 CC9 CH1 ED7 ZE1 CN1 CE1. - Non Honda: E-RNN14 GTiR E-BNR32 GTR

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
You don't really want anything fastened to or near the cat that might strike the ground or catch on kerbs, etc. and shock the cat. These older ceramic cats are quite fragile, I had one disintegrate over 25 years ago.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2021, 05:16:28 PM »
This concern is what swung the catlock for me. A ground strike on the Catlock is just likely to scrape it and make some noise. There is limited scope to snag or catch anything. A ground strike on a catclamp may well loose you the very thing you are trying to protect! All the loops of wire hanging down look like a snagging hazard to me. Don't get me wrong, I think the system would be good where the cat is typically higher off the ground, a van for example. It is just not the most suitable for a jazz specifically out of the available options.
Yes, I think you are correct, the advertising seems focused on commercial vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarringtonL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear your problem, hope yours is sorted soon but here's a warning about non OE parts.
My daughters 2006 Jazz, 1.4 DSI manual, 51,000 mles genuine, had the cat stolen outside her house in Uxbridge, they did 4 more the same night. I bought a non OE cat & sensors from GSF car parts and were fitted by a garage in Uxbridge. The thieves had cut the rear sensor wire but ripped out the front one. You cant buy the socket from Honda only a half engine loom ! So I got one from a scrapyard and they wired it in. 18 months later I'm still unable to turn off the EML and an auto electrician has checked all wiring, sensors etc and says the cat is the problem. OE parts are a must ! Luckily my MOT garage ignore the light ! Now she's either got to drive it into the ground or buy an OE cat from Honda, beware non OE cats, cheap for a reason.
The fitment detail on euro car parts says Euro 4 - check OE ? What that means is a mystery to me & the guy on the end of the phone ?
Hope your saga ends well unlike mine.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2021, 01:42:20 PM »
When I worked for the motor factor, we sold dozens of cats for all types of cars and never had any problems. I'm not saying you cannot get a faulty cat, but you can get a faulty OEM cat as well.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
18 months later I'm still unable to turn off the EML and an auto electrician has checked all wiring, sensors etc and says the cat is the problem. OE parts are a must ! Luckily my MOT garage ignore the light ! Now she's either got to drive it into the ground or buy an OE cat from Honda, beware non OE cats, cheap for a reason.

An new OEM cat for a mk1 car would probably cost more than the car is worth, even secondhand ones can cost £300+. Jocko's right - there's nothing wrong with aftermarket cats, they should do exactly the same job as the original.

To be honest, I doubt that your cat has failed if you are passing MOTs - if it gives good results for the CO emissions tests, the cat is doing all it's supposed to do. Your garage may overlook the EML, but they surely cannot pass the car with a failed emissions test.

I suspect you need further investigation with more advanced diagnostic equipment. It is important that the O₂ sensors are functioning correctly, as they dictate the engine's fuel mix - and an incorrect fuel mix can eventually damage the replacement cat, and then you will fail the MOT on emissions. However, with the EML on, the engine should run intentionally lean so as to protect the cat - but that may have other consequences, such as reduced power and/or mpg, as well as poor emissions results.

The fitment detail on euro car parts says Euro 4 - check OE ? What that means is a mystery to me & the guy on the end of the phone ?

I presume that means the part is type approved for Euro 4 emissions vehicles.

A general tip: One of the less obvious problems encountered with a new front pipe is the manifold joint - they can take a bit of fiddling to get the fire ring air tight, and a leak here may throw up a sensor fault, poor emissions, and may even damage a new sensor. No sealant or exhaust paste should be used on the joint either, as that can also kill sensors. A tiny leak will soot up, but then the EML will still need resetting - and you need the correct diagnostic tool to do that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:57:11 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2021, 02:09:27 PM »
I doubt that your cat has failed if you are passing MOTs - if it gives good results for the CO emissions tests, the cat is doing all it's supposed to do. Your garage may overlook the EML, but they surely cannot pass the car with a failed emissions test.
The emission test goes straight into the system, and a garage cannot fudge a failed test. The only way a garage can do that is by sticking the emission test probe up a good known exhaust. And if they get caught, they lose their testing status and the business that goes with it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2021, 02:57:44 PM »
On the London news an hour ago that London has seen 150,000 cat thefts in 2020 with the thieves turning up in 4's with metal bars to scare away owners as they steal in broad daylight.

I'm surprised they haven't targeted a dealer and dine all the forecourt cars.
Let's be careful out there !

GarringtonL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »
Thanks for your comments Sparky Paul & Jocko. Not sure if I should start a new thread with this issue ?

What I can't understand is why the electrician (who came highly recommended with a van full of laptops & gear etc) says the cat is the problem ? He showed me the sensors were working correctly & sending the signals to the ecu & there is no leak on the system.
The car is not down on power but it is running slightly rich (whiff from the exhaust) but still getting over 42 mpg ?
Honda want a stupid amount to run diagnostics so unsure where to go from here ?

The MOT station don't bypass the system & the certificate states the "CO" as fail but overall emissions are a pass ?
Any more thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks again.

Tags: