Author Topic: Daytime running lightsI've had my 2012  (Read 2504 times)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
Daytime running lightsI've had my 2012
« on: December 04, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
I've had my 2012 Jazz EX CVT for just over a month now and I couldn't be happier with it, although I actually use it very little. It is smooth and quiet and plenty powerful enough for my needs and I'm happy to report that it is a lot quieter and smoother riding than the Mark 1 I had few years back.

I have got one question however. It does not seem to have any daytime running lights and I am wondering whether there is any way that I, or the supplying Honda dealer, can programme the vehicle to give me these lights. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.

Many thanks

Peter in Devon 🐨

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Daytime running lightsI've had my 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
I think that I am right in saying that DRL's were required to be fitted to new models introduced after January 2012. If I am right your model Jazz does not have any so they cannot be 'programmed' in retropspect.

Vic.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
Anything (well almost) is possible if you spend enough money, but it would be disproportionately expensive to change your car.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »
There are after market kits that people fit to cars. You could go that route if you wanted.

Personally I drive with the headlights on all the time anyway. A small silver car, the headlights being on can only help me being spotted.  :)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:59:20 PM »
I have a set of Ring DRL on my Jazz. It does the job. 

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 11:55:34 AM »

Have you got a photo of those fitted?

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
My Jazz was a 62 reg. also without DRL's.
My solution was to replace sidelight bulbs with brighter LED's, and drive with sidelights on in daytime. This also has the advantage that rear lights would be on as well , making you visible from the rear.
The disadvantage with retro - fitting DRL's is that legally they have to be in certain positions on the front of the car , and have to dim when main lights come on, so it can be tricky to find a place to fit them that looks OK and is legal.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »

Yes. Here it is.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:02:42 AM »
I've often wondered why rear drl's were not adopted. Volvo's had them a while ago and they seemed a good move.
Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
The Honda Fit japanese site listed the Honda official DLR for the 2012 my, rather similar to the Ciroen C3 DLR light version ,the unit fitted on the the lower front/side of the f wings.
Looked good but the shipping costs killed it for importing to UK.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:09:56 AM »
I've often wondered why rear drl's were not adopted. Volvo's had them a while ago and they seemed a good move.
My Volvo had the system you are talking about. Basically when you turned the ignition on the lights came on in dipped beam. You couldn't switch to the main beam though you could still flash the headlights. There was an option to disable the set up with a sequence you had to go through. I used to disable it in the summer as it tended to mask flashed headlights and, as an ex bus and coach driver, I like to use flashed headlights for signalling HGVs and the like that have passed me and for vehicles joining at sliproads to let them know I see them. In the late autumn till early spring, I would enable the system. That way, I never needed to switch on my lights unless I was driving outside of a built-up area, something I do not do very ofter after dark.

Peter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
Thank you all for your contributions. It seems that there is no easy way to overcome this problem. Although my previous 2009 VW Polo had DRL's. I think I shall just have to continue to drive with my headlights on, at least as I keep my car in a garage I should be aware if I leave it with the lights switched on, when I close the garage door.

Peter in Devon

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
Thank you all for your contributions. It seems that there is no easy way to overcome this problem. Although my previous 2009 VW Polo had DRL's. I think I shall just have to continue to drive with my headlights on, at least as I keep my car in a garage I should be aware if I leave it with the lights switched on, when I close the garage door.

Peter in Devon

My Jazz beeps at me if I switch off ignition with lights on...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
My Mk1 beeps loudly if I open the driver's door with the lights on. Makes checking the lights a noisy affair.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »

Yes. Here it is.

That is a neat installation. They look 'factory' too.  :) Halfords have a Ring set for not a lot, and the Youtube Ring video confirms installation is something I could do.

Did you insures have an issue with them being fitted? I will call ours tomorrow and see what they say. If there is no change in premium, and I dont think there should be, then I think I might fit some.

Tags:

anything