Author Topic: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it  (Read 14409 times)

guest8289

  • Guest
Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
I stupidly didn't test drive the 65 reg jazz I bought today as I've already had 2 and been very happy with them. The 30 mile journey home was awful and I'm thinking of returning the car.

The ride was very bumpy and there was lots of road noise.

But worst of all, even at the maximum setting my seat felt too close. The pedals were very awkward to press. My legs were very bent and to get to the biting point my entire foot had to come off the floor by several cms. If covering the clutch my foot was at a 60 degree angle. Brake and accelerator angles were almost as bad.

I'm really shocked at how disappointing and uncomfortable the ride was. I'm only 5' 8"! I am very big though (310 pounds) so maybe that is why? My 2012 Honda that I just part exchanged was fine with regards to seat position and pedals.

peteo48

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2746
  • Country: gb
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
Just shows how personal driving positions are. I'm 6 foot and don't have the seat all the way back. One of the reasons I like the Jazz is that the driving position seems to suit me completely - more than some bigger cars.

But there is nothing worse than a driving position that doesn't suit you and, if you have tried all the possible adjustments and still can't get comfy then it might be that you need to cut your losses. I had a similar problem with a Ford Escort many moons ago and just had to get rid.

mikebore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 616
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »
I am 6ft 1in and don't have a problem.
My wife still has her Mk1 and I previously had a Mk2. The Mk3 is a very different car.
Big mistake not test driving it, but you know that now!
I would still chose the Mk3 over the Mk1 or 2.
I suppose the seat isn't faulty in some way
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:06:55 PM by mikebore »

guest8289

  • Topic Starter
  • Guest
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 11:05:26 PM »
I am 6ft 1in and don't have a problem.
My wife still has her Mk1 and I previously had a Mk2. The Mk3 is a very different car.
Big mistake not test driving it, but you know that now!
I would still chose the Mk3 over the Mk1 or 2.
I suppose the seat isn't faulty in some way

Hi, are your feet at a very steep angle when covering the pedals? Is your seat backed all the way?

mikebore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 616
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »
I am 6ft 1in and don't have a problem.
My wife still has her Mk1 and I previously had a Mk2. The Mk3 is a very different car.
Big mistake not test driving it, but you know that now!
I would still chose the Mk3 over the Mk1 or 2.
I suppose the seat isn't faulty in some way

Hi, are your feet at a very steep angle when covering the pedals? Is your seat backed all the way?

Not that I am aware of. (My car is CVT so no clutch pedal).
I do have the seat all the way back usually, but I can move it forward a bit if there is a big load or big people in the back.
The up and down control moves it forward and back it, so you can get a bit more legroom by having it right down. I usually have it a bit up from the lowest.

MicktheMonster

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 246
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
I also bought a mk3 without trying it, the other half decided she wanted one, no point arguing... I'm 5'8" but had no problems with seating and comfort, with hindsight as I'm getting older I should also try before I buy, I usually test drive 2nd hand cars to see if I can find faults but haven't bothered with new cars as they're under warranty and you don't test the actual car you are getting. Also find dealers a faff to get involved with. A lesson learned I suppose.
Last new car I tested was a Nissan Note in 2006, eventually bought a 2 year old Jazz as it had more room for baby buggies etc. It was pricey at the time but I think I've just about had my money's worth out of it 13 years later.

Jocko

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9356
  • Country: scotland
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
I am 6' 1" and weight 260 lbs and I had no problems with either my Mk 1 or the Mk 3 I had on loan. With the loaner I just slid the seat back to suit and adjusted the mirrors. No faffing about.

Roddy0000

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 226
  • Country: 00
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »
I stupidly didn't test drive the 65 reg jazz I bought today as I've already had 2 and been very happy with them. The 30 mile journey home was awful and I'm thinking of returning the car.

The ride was very bumpy and there was lots of road noise.

But worst of all, even at the maximum setting my seat felt too close. The pedals were very awkward to press. My legs were very bent and to get to the biting point my entire foot had to come off the floor by several cms. If covering the clutch my foot was at a 60 degree angle. Brake and accelerator angles were almost as bad.

I'm really shocked at how disappointing and uncomfortable the ride was. I'm only 5' 8"! I am very big though (310 pounds) so maybe that is why? My 2012 Honda that I just part exchanged was fine with regards to seat position and pedals.
Assuming you bought this from a garage, did they give you an option to return it in x number of days and to swop it or refund, some have this option.  Otherwise I guess you might lose a lot of money....

mikebore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 616
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
I can't help wondering if there is something with the OP's car. Not sliding back as far as it should or something.

We have three 6ft or over posters and another 5ft 8ins poster who don't have a problem.

ColinB

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1549
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
For a 5’8” person to be complaining that with the seat as far back as they can get it they are still too close to the wheel and pedals definitely doesn’t sound right. I’d check the seat tracks to ensure something hasn’t got jammed in there to prevent it going fully back.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, the steering wheel is also adjustable for height & reach, and that can make a big difference to where the seat is positioned.

ColinS

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 983
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
Also check the height adjustment.  The seat goes forward as it goes up.

mikebore

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 616
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »
The ride was very bumpy and there was lots of road noise.

I have a bit of a problem understanding this as well. Having owned Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3, I haven't noticed a big difference, although the Honda claims were that the Mk3 made improvements. Certainly not worse.

I would concede that the Mk3 engine is probably noisier, with the Mk2 being the quietest, but I am not very reliable when it comes to sound...it depends what frequencies my hearing aids decide to amplify.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:56:45 PM by mikebore »

Rory

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 659
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 08:41:07 PM »
One of our new Jazz's had the tyres still at their transit pressure, which made the ride 'interesting'.  Should be less likely to be a problem on one that isn't new, but you never know.

I commented elsewhere that I had a brand-new mk3 as a courtesy car a few months ago and thought it was noisy.

Agree with others - the seat space issue doesn't make sense at all.

guest8087

  • Topic Starter
  • Guest
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 09:10:16 AM »
I am loving my new Jazz. I find it quiet and comfortable. Not that fitting would be an issue with me as I am a wee smout.

AlanTR

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 77
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Can't get on with new Jazz, thinking of returning it
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 01:11:45 PM »
Swap it for the CVT version, sit back and have a relaxed drive. After driving for 54 years, my first auto purchase - really glad I made that decision. Also have a manual car and have no trouble changing between cars.

Tags:
 

Back to top