Author Topic: Hit Footpath at night  (Read 3926 times)

EXT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3 i-vtec 2012 GE6
Hit Footpath at night
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
I have DG1 and GE1 serving. lately I was driving ge1 and had slight bump on my right front wheel to a footpath. the car moving fine after that only the wheel moved little backwords. I took it to wheel alignment guys and they said about sub frame. one of them said on their job list "Modify to correct RF caster & camber".
not sure what actually need to be fixed. they are quite expensive and don't actually have full specs of the car. so can someone pls guide regarding this....

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Hit Footpath at night
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
The chances are something is bent, and what that something is is probably visible with a close inspection. Right Front caster and camber would probably point to the wishbone being distorted. as it is the weakest link. The chassis is unlikely to have been damaged, as the wishbone is fitted to it via rubber bushes and the rubber doesn't allow the transfer of energy.
I had a wishbone replaced a year ago and it cost £40 for the part. Once the damage is identified and repaired, Kwik Fit can check the alignment for a reasonable price.
I had similar damage done to a car a few years back. I had parked with my front wheels turned out, and an American tourist struck the tyre. Did a surprising amount of damage, but just to the steering arm. The chassis was sound.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »
There are two bolts connecting the upright to the knuckle that can be loosened to give a couple of degrees of adjustment of camber & toe.  These damper pinch bolts can also be swapped for two other bolts to give a greater adjustment if needed.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/html_en/000000000002204.html
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
He says the wheel has been moved backwards. To me that says more than adjustment. My wheel had been moved backwards because things got bent!

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
here is the pic.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:08:38 AM by EXT »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
Take the wheel off and check the state of the wishbone.

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
one of my local mechanic said its the the ball joint bolt. I think that one connected to wheel side of the wishbone.
will ask honda or the normal parts shop. I actually dont trust pirate parts though.....

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Certainly, if the bolt is bent (that's it on the right of the photograph), the geometry will be well out.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
The ball joint stud doesn't normally bend after a wallop, it usually either pops the balljoint out of its socket, which would make the car undriveable, or the wishbone gets twisted or bent back. Looking at the pic, it looks more like a deformed wishbone or split rear bush.

Subframes can be bent, what exactly gets damaged can depend on the angle of the impact, but as Jocko says, the wishbone is the weaker part. Normal course of action would be to replace everything that is obviously damaged, then take some geometry measurements.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:46:00 PM by sparky Paul »

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
It seems is the balljoint. will post pics if I get time .....
honda said they dont sell balljoint only but complete with wishbone and is over 5k.
normal parts dealer has in stock but 04 model jazz onwards. not sure if all model upto 2012 using same balljoint. can someone please confirm....
thanks guys
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:50:21 PM by EXT »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
An aftermarket balljoint is only £10-£15 for 08-15 Jazz, however it's not a straightforward job to replace them as they are pressed into the wishbone, so the wishbone will have to come off anyway. A complete aftermarket wishbone with balljoint and bushes is around £40-£50.

If the balljoint is damaged, I would check the wishbone carefully for any distortion or damage to the bushes. If the balljoint is damaged, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the wishbone has also suffered damage.

There's nothing wrong with decent branded aftermarket parts from an authorised seller. There are fake parts about, both genuine and aftermarket.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »
Those look identical Jocko, I would of course go for the cheaper one, being the skinflint I am.  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
Those look identical Jocko, I would of course go for the cheaper one, being the skinflint I am.  ;)
So would I, but I was showing the options!

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »
I left the car yesterday by my local mechanic. will update as soon as I hear from him...

Tags:

anything