Author Topic: Replacement glass  (Read 2517 times)

guest5079

Replacement glass
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
I unfortunately will have to have the rear screen replaced due to damage. A local firm will do the job. Looking at my policy all glass is covered for damage as well as breakage so nearly 4 weeks back I contacted my broker with all the relevant information. On Good Friday  I received an Email telling me to ring a number before 4.30pm the previous day. NOW I cannot use a telephone so I sent an Email asking them to put it all in an Email for the following Tuesday. NOTHING. This Weds last I contacted my broker and asked for an update( that's being polite) I have received an Email NO apology from some firm called Rapid Claims. Basically the car has to be repaired by Autoglass. If I go locally I will have to pay and upon receiving my receipt they would 'look to reimbursing me'. this has set off warning bellsTo add insult to injury referred to the windscreen and wanted ALL the information repeated. Autoglass would probably have to do the job at one of their depots ( Plymouth or Truro) both a distance away. According to the manual it is quite a complicated job and the car cannot be moved for several hours. Living in the wilds on the Devon Cornwall border I have asked how am I supposed to cope with this?
Has any one any experience of Autoglass only I have read of problems experienced by members after having glass replaced. What really pigs me orf is the local firm is only 5 miles away, have been there a long time and is unlikely to do a bum job. Is it normal for Insurers to off load claims as I am insured with RSA.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Replacement glass
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
Neddy,  I have had three windscreens replaced by Autoglass over the years including one heated one on a Mondeo.  I have also had them repair two windscreen chips.
I had no problems whatsoever with Autoglass so don't worry.

Vic.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
Had a side window replaced so no glue involved, but they brought their own canopy to the office car park.  Came twice - once on the day of the breakage to cut & fit a piece of plexiglass, then back the next day with the glass they had ordered.  All  easy, don't worry about the payment side, sounds like covering their backs.  So long as you don't have horizontal rain on the day all will be fine.  Any bonded glass puts the vehicle out of action for 24 hours.
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
There should be no need to go to Autoglass. They will come to you https://www.autoglass.co.uk/.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
Autoglass are as good as the best and they come to you - that's what they do!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
Thank you all for your help. Suffering from long term severe depression makes everything a drama.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:04 PM »
I had Autoglass come to me once.  A couple of days later I noticed a dent on the bonnet.  Almost certainly their man had put his knee on it. The paint was broken at the edge of the dent and so the metal started to rust......

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
There used to be a character in one of the dailies called Marlon. He always had a black cloud above his head.
Today Autoglass turned up to replace the rear screen. Only he couldn't because no rubber gaskets had been supplied. Coming back next week.
Think of Marlon because while I was talking to the Autoglass fitter it started raining, I will change my name to Marlon.

Fitter was a tad ticked because I had taken all of the bits of to give him a clear run.

Tags:

anything