Author Topic: i-shift gearbox service  (Read 4929 times)

Maurice

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX i-shift
i-shift gearbox service
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
My 2009 i-shift Jazz will soon be due a gearbox fluid/filter change.
Has anyone done this job?

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Re: i-shift gearbox service
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
Not sure about the gearbox filter on an iShift (?) but our independent garage changed the transmission fluid last December with fresh Honda MTF-3.

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »

It's a manual box so should be drained hot and refilled with the measured amount. I don't see any filter as there is no pump ie. the gears are splash lubed.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
It is the same as for the manual transmission.  I have drained and refilled my Mk1 m/t - easy enough with 1/2m of hose and a funnel.  Access to the drain and fill bolts was not great....  and the car has to be raised and level.  A 3/8" square drive was needed for the drain plug.  Ensure you can remove the fill plug before draining the oil!

The Mk1 / GD manual transmission took 1.5 ~ 1.6 litres until it is level with the fill hole with some overflowing. (thanks auntyneddy)  The engine takes 3.6 litres of oil.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
Our 2010 Ishift gearbox is also due for oil change this year. If you refer to the on line workshop manual it covers the procedure. Also if you enlarge the diagram by stage 5/6 it gives you the position and torque required for the level drain plugs.  The correct washers are listed by LINGS no doubt COX will be a good source also.
The correct MTF oil is available and not too expensive.
There is no mention of a filter in either the online manual nor in the parts illustrations on the Lings site.
However I do not wish to disagree with TG who's knowledge has been so useful to many but on the page MTF Inspection and Replacement it states 1.4L at fluid change and 1.6L at overhaul.
Also the author appears to have got his reference letters a little mixed up.

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
Thanks auntyneddy, I've clarified things above.

Eurocarparts did not sell the crush washers, so I had to order them online - for the manual transmission on a Mk1 / GD it needed a 14mm & a 20mm.  A plain copper washer is sometimes specified, but the ones on the car seemed to have a thin folded form, once torqued though they probably end up similar to the plain copper ones.
--
TG

Maurice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
"Our 2010 Ishift gearbox is also due for oil change this year. If you refer to the on line workshop manual it covers the procedure."

AuntieNeddie, could you provide me with the link to the on line workshop manual?

Many thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Thanks auntyneddy, I've clarified things above.

Eurocarparts did not sell the crush washers, so I had to order them online - for the manual transmission on a Mk1 / GD it needed a 14mm & a 20mm.  A plain copper washer is sometimes specified, but the ones on the car seemed to have a thin folded form, once torqued though they probably end up similar to the plain copper ones.
--
TG

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-assorted-copper-washers

You can get kits of plain metric copper washers from Halfords,  I have a set which comes in handy for cars and motorbikes.  The action of tightening the threaded plug down onto copper will work harden it and if you try to re-use it in that state it will not deform and seal properly,  if you need to re-use plain copper washer you can anneal it by hanging it in a gas flame with copper or steel wire and heating them with gas until they glow cherry red this is about 700degC (melting point of copper is about same as steel, over 1100degC),  then drop them into cold water - may need a quick polish on the faces with fine emery or sandpaper to clean up surface. This will not work with crush washers, only solid copper ones.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:26:37 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
Maurice,
Being an old miserable duffer I am afraid I can't put the link so that you can automatically access it
HOWEVER:
http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html will find it, log into the English version and all will be revealed I hope.
When you get to the relevant page scroll down and in order to look at the pictures ( more me) just hover over the drawing and it will enlarge it.
The manual seems pretty easy to follow, it must be for me to do so.
Good luck

Maurice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
Maurice,
Being an old miserable duffer I am afraid I can't put the link so that you can automatically access it
HOWEVER:
http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html will find it, log into the English version and all will be revealed I hope.
When you get to the relevant page scroll down and in order to look at the pictures ( more me) just hover over the drawing and it will enlarge it.
The manual seems pretty easy to follow, it must be for me to do so.
Good luck

That's very helpful, AuntyNeddy. Many thanks.

Tags:

anything