Author Topic: Water World.  (Read 3676 times)

guest4219

Water World.
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »
Like many Mk.1 Jazz owners have reported,  I know my car has a soggy bottom - sorry -  boot.  ;D
There are many posts and threads about this, I know, but putting aside for a moment the NSR roof seal cause, it seems to me that signs of water ingress are pronounced around the place inside the boot just above the car-jack's clamp.
The could be from a leaky rear hatch seal, or a seepage through the point(s) where the hatch support strut brackets  are bolted to the car body.
My question is, therefore, is it possible to loosen off these bolts, lift the strut brackets and apply sealant, OR do the bolts have loose nuts, rather than welded-on-to-the-car-body  ones?
The former means having to remove interior trim, whether to grip the nuts,  or to try and find 'em if they dislodge and descend into the hidden depths.
All help gratefully received!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Water World.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »
Yep, bought a new jack as the old one went rusty when roof leaked.

You can loosen the strut mountings or remove the bolts without issue,  propping the tailgate or balancing it on your head both work and it's light enough to carry solo.  When open the struts are at full extension so there is no extra compression to be wary of.

The whole tailgate is removable/replaceable just by undoing the visible bolts and unplugging the wiring & water pipe; the 'nut' threads are welded in.  No interior trim needs to be removed.

NB. Sealed mine just on the gutter ends - struts & hinges were not disturbed, and taking it to bits wasn't needed.
--
TG

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
Hi,
I drilled a small hole under the mounting bracket inthe spare wheel well, what gets in runs out again😊
Chris

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:01 PM »

Hi,
I drilled a small hole under the mounting bracket inthe spare wheel well, what gets in runs out again
Chris

Did the same on my wifes mk1 - problem solved,  strangely enough my mk1 never leaked.   Wifes mk2 Si leaked as well, turned out to be leaking around radio aerial base.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »
I like this idea, will try this at the weekend. ;)

I have same issue.

Will report back..

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Wifes mk2 Si leaked as well, turned out to be leaking around radio aerial base.

My Mk2 Ex leaked too, through the grommet hole where the washer fluid passes from the car body into the door frame.

So far, touch wood (and we are over three years in now) our Mk1 does not leak. Maybe it was fixed before we got it.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
There was re call for water ingress into boot. And I think the recall got updated too as it was still happening. Might be worth checking to see if it was done.

Tags:

anything