Author Topic: Need some help. p0122  (Read 4262 times)

guest5117

Need some help. p0122
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
Hi All

Engine light came on a few days back. Drove home and checked codes using bluetooh scanner. It came back with only one code P0122. Looks like its something to do with the throttle position sensor. Some search on google suggests I must look for a green/yellow wire that has tendency to break, before going ahead with replacing the sensor or getting the throttle body cleaned.

The fault seems intermittent, and if i delete codes it comes up after a hill climb but doesn't come up if i drive on straight roads. Unfortunatley I live on a hill so most of my trips cause the light to come on at the end of the journey.  So , as you have guessed it by now, I am driving  the car with this fault as it is my daily driver.  Mileage is now 102K

Thanks

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: Need some help. p0122
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:59 PM »
You don't need to replace the TB or the sensor just need to mend the wire IF it's broken. Why not start with that?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right path. 2004/5 Jazz CVT with the electronic throttle body are prone to breaking this yellow/green wire.  There was one on here just last week.  It could be something else, but this is the best starting point.

Symptom is often throttle responding intermittently to pedal, sounds like yours might be OK for a while, but could become an urgent issue at bottom of hill.

--
TG

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Thanks
There doesn't seem to be a complete guide of how to try and trace this wire. I am going to try it today after work. I have a feeling I am going to fail miserably and will have to pass this job to a garage who (I hope) know what they are doing.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:43 PM »
OK, just an update

After trying o find a sunny day and free time for a few days I finally gave up and decided to drop the car off with a local garage. Unfortunately the garage refused to look at the wire alone. They wanted to do diagnostics again and change the sensor with a new one if sensor code comes up.
So at that point I decided to take it to a back street garage I know who will do what I want.

Amazingly on my way to the backstreet garage, to my surprise, the engine light went off. This was very strange , as this had not happened in the last week and a bit since I saw this problem. Anyway I took it to garage and they took air filter assembly off and peeled tape of wires etc. They couldn't find the yellow/green wire and none of the wires was broken or oddly bent. Finally they gave up and put everything back together. I have now been driving the car for a few days and no sign of that engine light, no error code and no erratic idling.

now I wait and ponder what it was

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »
In that case I would suggest that they are looking for it in the wrong place. I used to do a lot of those broken wire jobs for the local garage and they're not always easy to detect. Sometimes you cant see the break as its inside the plastic covering which is still intact. It does sound like an intermittent break in the wire which makes contact most of the time. If that was the group of wires then just the mechanic moving it around may have moved it enough to make contact for a while.

I'm not familiar with that problem but there may be some pics on here somewhere showing exactly where the wire is located?

Mike.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:25:56 AM by MikeG1944 »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »
^^ They're right - it won't be in two pieces, but the copper will have stretched and be breaking but the plastic outer will be intact, reports suggest it's at a tight bend where the break happens.  Just fiddling around in the general area does sometimes fix it for a while making troubleshooting tricky.  Whether the garage splices in 3" or 3' of cable is probably down to how embedded that part of the loom is.
--
TG

Tags:

anything