Author Topic: Worn diff or CVJ...?  (Read 2474 times)

guest6230

Worn diff or CVJ...?
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »
I seem to have developed a clonking noise when going on and off light throttle, it feels like slack being taken up in the driveshafts, a single light clonk each time on and off. I need to get it in the air, hoping it's only a CVJ and not the diff.  :-X  Anyone know if Jazz's are weak in this area?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Worn diff or CVJ...?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
I haven't seen any posts on this forum about diffs giving problems,  more likely to be CV Joint or maybe even an upper or lower swivel joint,   check the wheel nuts as well,  it isn't unknown for tyre places and garages not to tighten them properly.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
One easy way to check for worn CV,s is find a quiet car park and then very slowly with the window down turn on full lock one way and then the other. A worn CV will usually make a ticking noise. It will also tell you which one is the worn one or there are those and I am one, that would advocate  replace both if one is worn.
I would think a diff would start whining before it got to the snatching stage.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
The scrapyard Jazz I've seen usually still have their drive and suspension, so it doesn't seem to be an in demand part, and it's not something brought up here regularly.  CVJ faults would usually become apparent as said above when cornering.  The input shaft bearing is the drivetrain part most mentioned, but that's not a knock. 

If you can't replicate it when stationary against the handbrake fwd and rvs, then I think it may be worn bushes on the control arm or drop links.  The suspension's top mount although fairly uniquely designed so it moves when the the car is unloaded on jacks, could also be the source.   Jacking the front should provide some clues.
--
TG

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
OK, haven't had much time to gets to grips with this but I can confirm that there is no clicking on full lock in either direction. But on hand brake I get a single click when I ride the clutch, then if I put it into reverse I get another click. I'll investigate more this weekend but think it's a wishbone rubber.

Tags:

anything