Author Topic: Kangaroo effect  (Read 12276 times)

guest5315

Kangaroo effect
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
I am having an issue where the car is not smooth at low revs and gives the kangaroo effect. At 30mph in 4th it is OK, any slower and kangaroos, 20mph in 3rd and kangaroos quite noticeably but not like a bucking bronco lol. In 1st at less than 10 mph its kangaroos also but get it up 1500 rpm much better. I notice in reverse at low revs it will like go into anti stall and rev up to 1500 if I do not rev it enough. In normal driving if at 1800 rpm ok but drop down around 1500 or lower and she starts to feel rougher. It is fine when cold at low speeds and maneuvering the issues start when warmed up, it also ticks over smooth always. If you rev it the revs hold a little but not huge, also when change gear revs hold a little.

Have I got a problem or just characteristics?

I have read on here about EGR valve problems, also similar kangaroo issues but not exactly like mine as they say they have idle issues to which I do not. I have seen about cleaning the throttle body but have not found clear instructions. Is it possible to DIY clean the throttle body? Any idiot guide instructions about if it is possible?

I have the Haynes manual now but not a great mechanic so may opt for garage if can find a good one.  :(

Any thoughts?

Cheers
 :)

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Kangaroo effect
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »
Does seem odd because I can be below 20 in 5th and it'll be smooth
Which is nice

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »
Does seem odd because I can be below 20 in 5th and it'll be smooth
Which is nice

Mine undriveable in 5th at that speed, its not happy in 4th either so 3rd the option and its not smooth.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »
When were your sparkplugs last checked or changed - other posters have had problems when rear plugs haven't been changed by garages (because they don't even know that the GD has 4 at the back as well as the 4 at the front).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
The GE engine, 2008 onwards, is much more flexible than the earlier GD and will comfortably pull 5th gear at less 30mph but with little acceleration of course.

Vic.

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
When were your sparkplugs last checked or changed - other posters have had problems when rear plugs haven't been changed by garages (because they don't even know that the GD has 4 at the back as well as the 4 at the front).

I have only just bought it so no idea when they were changed, it had a service not long ago but I doubt plugs changed. An easy thing to do though change them all, I will do that.  :)

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Are Bosch spark plugs Ok to fit to the Jazz? If not which is best?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
Have used NGK for many years in bikes and cars and never had a problem.  Most modern cars use iridium for longer life (up to 70K) and sometimes because plugs can be a pig to get to (on GE Jazz and Civic you have to take pieces out of the plastic apron in front of windscreen to change plugs) I use them on my bikes because of harsher combustion conditions on motorbikes (up to 12,500rpm - and have to take fuel tank and radiators off to fit plugs,  so want them to last longer).  GE uses iridium as standard,  GD didn't.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:09:23 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
I can get NGK for and extra 20p a plug so no problem. Yeah it looks a bit of a potch to change the plugs on the Jazz, I am finding its a well deigned car for space but a pig otherwise.

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
I fitted new NGK spark plugs and a new air filter also. What a transformation, it now drives much better. I can drive at 22 mph in 5th and still pull away as before I needed 3rd. It changes gear across the range better too, less snappy on the throttle. I would have never believed plugs would make that difference and in 35 years of driving have never seen such a dramatic change lol.

It still does not like 3rd at 20 mph though most odd, not as bad as before but still hunting a little. Maybe still a small problem or maybe my driving, I am very light footed and can drive with an eggshell under my foot lol. Perhaps it’s a characteristic of the engine, I have only driven this Jazz so nothing to compare it to.

As far as I am concerned now job done under the bonnet  ;D

Thanks for all the advice.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
Glad you're sorted,  interesting to now what the gap was on the plugs you removed - seems you're not the first to suffer from rear plugs not being changed on a GD.  I think rear ignition coil failures reported on GD are down to gap in plug getting too big and causing coil pack to arc over with high voltage  :-X

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 06:23:33 PM »
Alas I only checked one plug for its gap as it came out and that was from the front, it was set to about 1.1/1.2mm.

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
I spoke too soon when I said it was sorted, she still is jerking at low revs though a hell of a lot better still far from smooth. EGR valve clean next :)

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
I have now cleaned the EGR valve. There is some improvement but still not 100% there, a hell of a lot better than the car I bought but still at times jerks at low revs. I guess it will end with a throttle body clean :)

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
What is worth a try and certainly will clean out the valves is fill up with Shell V-power or equivalent the next couple of times. You should notice a big difference and after a couple of refills you should get better mpg. It's a bit more expensive but it might fix your problem and is cheaper than an unneccessary part replacement.

Tags: