Author Topic: Just got a Jazz MPG seems too low?  (Read 10770 times)

guest4646

Just got a Jazz MPG seems too low?
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Hi there recently bought a Jazz with only 17000 mikes on the clock as a private sale. Honda serviced from new
Its An 2007 SE 1.4 and we only seem to be getting 33MPG.

I know the car had been used for short journeys and had spent a bit of time standing as 2 of the tyres had started to perish.

I guess a good service may help but what MPG should i realistically expect?

Thanks

guest2662

• Topic Starter
Re: Just got a Jazz MPG seems too low?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
38 -45- 50 in the summer if not to heavy on the foot  ;)

guest4646

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks Boatman will see if a service helps

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
I have a 09 1.4 ES and I use every weekday 22miles each way to work, the journey taking 50 min and its motorway for half the trip and I manage 47.6 at this time of year,  not using the on board computer, but filling up and logging the mileage.
Perhaps its need a good run to clear out everything!

Regards Dave

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
I would suggest that at that age with those few miles on it, it wants a good thrashing with a heavy dose of injector cleaner in it.
Also check that none of the brakes are binding, look for very hot wheels.

Vic.

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
Got 2004 in same model - I get 42mpg around town with light footed driving, over 50 on a run.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »
Hi there recently bought a Jazz with only 17000 mikes on the clock as a private sale. Honda serviced from new
Its An 2007 SE 1.4 and we only seem to be getting 33MPG.

I know the car had been used for short journeys and had spent a bit of time standing as 2 of the tyres had started to perish.

I guess a good service may help but what MPG should i realistically expect?

Thanks

if it has been main dealer serviced from new it has probably still got its original factory oil and air filters,  and probably even original oil that was put in when it was made (you may note a touch of cynicism here about dealer servicing - quite right - I bought a 3 year old dealer serviced Jazz with 18K on clock and oil filter was really rusty and air filter was a dark green element I have never come across before and absolutely filthy).  Also only doing just over 2K a year has done it no favours.  Tip a bottle of redex or similar in the tank and give it a good thrashing to clean out the injectors which will soon crud up when only doing local short runs.

i would expect 38 to 40 around town, and maybe over 50 on a run as long as you don't go over 70.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:42:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
I'm getting about 38-43mpg on short little runs (30mph roads)
On longer 40mph roads I can get it to 45 - 52mpg

And on the motorway doing 60mph I can just eek 60mpg.

So quite happy considering its still only just starting to warm up weather-wise.

Mines also with full dealer servicing, but as mentioned maybe take with a pinch of salt. I changed my oil over and by god was the oil drain plug tight. Also oil filter doesn't look too new to be honest.
Anyway now its in my hands i'll be doing my own servicing.

Get some forte injector cleaner. That used to be the bee's knee's.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:58:57 AM »
Mine is also main dealer serviced had the drain plug on super tight. I would be afraid of stripping the threads to put it on that tight! I get about 40 mpg doing mostly short trips of a few miles and I'm happy. I try to get into 5th gear as much as possible, but usually I'm in 3rd behind someone doing 20mph in a 40 zone!

Mpg could be affected by any number of factors; servicing (oil, spark plugs etc), tyres pressures, windows down, roof rack fitted, how much stuff you lug about, and of course driving style / conditions (terrain, traffic density).

guest3821

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
I can confirm that main dealer history is absolutely no guarantee that the car has been properly serviced.

We are used car dealers and the Jazz is one of our specialities, so we get quite a few through our hands - mainly 2004 - 2008 models and from our experience the standard of main dealer servicing seems pretty abysmal.

When doing routine servicing or pre-sale PDIs in our own workshops, it's often apparent that oil and air filters, engine oil and certainly spark plugs appear much older than they should, based upon the stamps in the service book.

The 1.4 should easily achieve and average of 40mpg with mixed motoring and 45mpg upwards on longer runs.

An indicated 33mpg on the trip computer would suggest that something is amiss.

I would recommend at least and oil and filter change plus a check of the air filter and spark plugs and replacement in necessary.

Binding brakes, low tyre pressures and even a minor exhaust leak all can have a significant effect on fuel consumption. 

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
As I understand ,Pancho,the Jazz ECU adapts itself to the driving characteristics of its owner during the initial months of ownership so shouldn't the ECU of any Jazz being sold second hand, be reset to the initial factory settings? My  own car ,a 2008 EX was very sluggish when I bought it in July 2010 with 11000miles on the clock and returned low  MPG figures.Despite complaints to the Honda dealer on two subsequent services  no improvement was evident until I reset the ECU myself (a simple task).Result- improved performance and MPG (c50 MPG currently)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
As I understand ,Pancho,the Jazz ECU adapts itself to the driving characteristics of its owner during the initial months of ownership

Hmmm...never heard of that before.  Auto gearbox ECU's do this, but not engines.

I don't doubt your results, but wonder what it was that affected them?   Were you measuring MPG brim to brim, or going off the dash display?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
the ECU of a modern car is continually adapting to driving style and will soon catch up with a new driving style - but resetting the ECU will speed things up.

I have always said that cars with 'too low' a mileage are not good buys - they have had lots of standing around and lots of cold starts where the engine has not warmed up properly, and most wear takes place in first 5 miles after a cold start. Also petrol left in for too long 'goes off' and starts gunging things up.   Anything less than 100 miles a week (5K a year) is probably a warning sign.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3821

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
As I understand ,Pancho,the Jazz ECU adapts itself to the driving characteristics of its owner during the initial months of ownership
Yes that is correct, the Jazz in common with most post 1996 vehicles will have a 'learning' type ECU. Apart from the manufacturer's base settings the ECU is monitoring other parameters such as fuel quality and knock values and then optimizing fuelling and timing accordingly in an effort to achieve optimal performance including fuel consumption.

As culzean says however, this data is continually being updated and perhaps all you have done by resetting the ECU is to accelerate the update procedure - hence the apparent improvement in fuel consumption.

Having said that, when I get the opportunity I'll give it a go and report back.

I'd also agree with culzean that very low mileage cars can bring their own specific problems, in that they are likely to have been used for just very short journeys and thus may not have got up to operating temperature on a regular basis. This can be bad news for engine internals, although any problems may only manifest themselves much further down the line. More frequent engine oil and filter changes than the manufacturer's recommendations would certainly help in this instance.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
Yes that is correct, the Jazz in common with most post 1996 vehicles will have a 'learning' type ECU. Apart from the manufacturer's base settings the ECU is monitoring other parameters such as fuel quality and knock values and then optimizing fuelling and timing accordingly in an effort to achieve optimal performance including fuel consumption.

That's certainly true, but it's not a long term thing - the ECU is doing it all the time and will react to a new tank of fuel or if you drive at altitude. 

I'm not aware of any that "learn" the driver's driving style.  Imagine a car used by a couple who had very differnet driving styles (which is likely to be quite common) - the car wouldn't know where the heck it was!

Tags: