Author Topic: Emissions fault light - Help!  (Read 7019 times)

guest4465

Emissions fault light - Help!
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
Hi,

New to the forum.

I've got a 57 plate 1.2l Jazz with just shy of 60k miles on the clock.  I've been having problems on and off with the emissions fault light.  I first took it to the garage about 6 weeks ago, they said it was the catalytic converter which I got replaced.  A week or so later the light came on again so took it back to the garage and then they said it was the lambda sensor which needed replacing - so I duly had it replaced.  Another week goes by and the light comes on for a third time.  The diagnostic showed it was the lambda sensor (again!) so the garage replaced the sensor at no cost to me.  A few weeks have gone by with no problems but driving to work this morning the fault light has re-appeared!

My question - is this a problem any other Jazz owner has had? Is it possible that the diagnostic test can suggest it's the lambda sensor when really it's something else?

Help!!

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: Emissions fault light - Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
You need to get the fault codes and look at them.  A Samsung phone running Torque in conjunction with an OBD-II reader will get them from the ECU.  Ask the garage for the fault codes printout or what they saved
If music be the food of love, play on

guest4465

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The garage don't still have the code and I don't have access to a Samsung phone or the reader. Is there anything else you could suggest? Or any common problems I should be looking at?

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Get the code, (if you have got an Android phone (doesn`t have to be a Samsung one) get an OBD II reader off the internet (it is communicating through Bluetooth), or just go to back to the garage and ask them to read the code out to you) and post it here.
(If you live nearby HP13 postcode I can read out the code for you free of charge.)

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
If the garage do not have the code, this means they were taking guesses!  Its essential to read the codes from the ECU first.  It will highlight the problem immediately.

The ECU only stores a certain number of error codes, I am not sure about Honda but in a Hyundai it is 128 error codes

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
If the garage do not have the code, this means they were taking guesses!

Absolutely! Guessing can be expensive. In this case they've guessed 'backwards' from an expensive catalytic converter to a (relatively) inexpensive lambda sensor and still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Catalytic converters can fail prematurely because of over-fueling/running too 'rich', burning oil, ('fouls' the catalyst materials) a 'jarring shock' (such as in a car 'accident' or a careless garage technician hammering at seized nuts/bolts on the exhaust), abrupt cooling from very hot (such as fording deep water after hard running causing metals with diverse rates of expansion and contraction to stress/crack) or a 'push-start' typically for a manual gearbox car with a flat battery when excess/unburnt fuel can get dumped into the exhaust system. Or a 'bad luck' manufacturing defect.

However, barring any of that, it'd be odd for a cat to fail at your car's age and mileage.     

CODES are a must...

guest4465

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:25:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to update you, I still don't have the codes however the light has magically gone off by itself. I will have a good run of anything between 4-6 weeks where the light doesn't come on then it will reappear for 2-3 days then go off again.

I can't afford any more garage bills at the moment so I'm having to get by with this "solution".

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to update you, I still don't have the codes however the light has magically gone off by itself. I will have a good run of anything between 4-6 weeks where the light doesn't come on then it will reappear for 2-3 days then go off again.

I can't afford any more garage bills at the moment so I'm having to get by with this "solution".
Get it into the garage and tell them to give you the codes and stop pissing you about.

If you can't be bothered, get the code reader from Amazon for £12 and post the code on here and someone will tell you the fault.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 06:29:58 AM »
There is a huge selection of error codes at this website

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=682412

Tags:

anything