Author Topic: Speedometer problem  (Read 5867 times)

guest4463

Speedometer problem
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
I own my Honda Jazz 1.2 2004 for a little more than 2 months. This is my first car.

Had no problems until recently I started to notice that the speedometer needle gets frozen at some random moments during drive. It gets alive only after intensive speeding/slowing. For instance while driving with 60km/h and  I slow down to a desired 50km/h, the needle doesn't move, only when I reach 40km/h it drops down. Or sometimes while stopping from about 90km/h, it doesn't move smoothly, but instead jumping from 20km to another 20km until 0km/h.
It feels like there is problem with its sensitivity, but it doesn't happen all the time.
Before going to service (where probably I will rob of money), are there any clues how to fix this?

Thanks

guest4426

• Topic Starter
Re: Speedometer problem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:50 PM »
could be as you say a sticky needle, or a faulty vehicle speed sensor

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
Have you checked the wiring, the speed sensor is at the top back of the gearbox (manual) or top  of cvt box. You can check the wiring is all good and the sensor is located with a mounting bolt. You might also take out the instrument pod, which I imagine is a PITA and check the free movement within the speedo. 2nd hand instruments also appear regularly on e-bay, so that would save you cash if the speedo itself is faulty.
On bikes, the speedo is vulnerable to hot/cold, and if the pin is not tight can catch, so as a first remedy you could give it a good whack and see if that helps!

guest4463

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »
Thanks for your replies!
These days I bought a bluetooth OBD2 scanner wich I will connect to my smartphone and I will check the speed sensitivity trough this device. If that's ok, then it's nothing wrong with the sensor, right?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, the visible needle is the only mechanical part, so this seems to be the culprit.  It is a big job to disassemble the speedo and try and see what it is.  My guess is a bit of dust
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags: