Author Topic: Cup / End Cap Oil filter removal tool size  (Read 10156 times)

guest4283

Cup / End Cap Oil filter removal tool size
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Does anyone use a cup / end cap oil filter removal tool? If so what size? I think there's at least 3 different sizes.

Space underneath Jazz looks to be a bit tight, Haynes says take the splash guard off first (10 clips and 2 bolts!). I have chain removal tool, but have never had much success with it.

I have ordered some plastic clips (10 for £1.30) off ebay (just in case I need to take the guard off) as dealer would probably charge me 50p per clip!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Cup / End Cap Oil filter removal tool size
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
No need to remove any covers.

I use some oil filter pliers,  never had any problems.

Be sure to buy the ones that cover the diameter of the jazz filter.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
see this link

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74024-oil-filter-removal-tool-for-hamp-synergy-h1540-rta-505-h1540-pfb-515.aspx

The Hamp oil filter is the exact same size as the genuine honda oil filter so this tool should fit. You could also try ebay just type in oil filter removal tool/cup for honda jazz, its bound to be cheaper!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
if you want to use the 'cup' style oil filter wrench that fits onto a 3/8" socket wrench square drive.  Use a LASER (readily available from most car shops for about £5) number 4232  which has 14 flutes and is 65mm Across flats.

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=1056&item=3595
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:47:50 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
I too use oil filter pliers, Sealey I think but there are loads to choose from on e-bay or amazon or screwfix etc.
As a cheapskate method you can just stick a screwdriver through the old filter...

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

I have ordered some plastic clips (10 for £1.30) off ebay (just in case I need to take the guard off) as dealer would probably charge me 50p per clip!

Can we have a link please

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »
As a cheapskate method you can just stick a screwdriver through the old filter...
Well I have seen this done by redneck mechs, but I'm not that much of a cheapskate! I just don't like being taken advantage of.

Thanks culzean for detailing the oil filter size, which is what I originally asked for.

Ah I see we have another connoisseur of value for money. I haven't received them yet so they might be rubbish  :)(direct from china). Hold on I'll check my records and post the link.

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

I had to do that once very messy.

H is For only get the filter removal cap if you want to torque  tighten the new filter. Don't forget you cannot use it on other filter for other cars. I have the first one form the halfords list

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=oil+filter+removal&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »

... if you want to torque  tighten the new filter... :o
I'm a veteran of the oil change procedure so I know they should be tightened by hand only! You should know that too!

Here you go matey:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370800103184?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Check the whole ad to see fit they fit your model year.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »
I normally oil the thread and filter seal with fresh oil, tighten hand tight to get the seal touching sealing face and then 1/4 turn only.  If you tighten it any more it will leak.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
I normally oil the thread and filter seal with fresh oil, tighten hand tight to get the seal touching sealing face and then 1/4 turn only.  If you tighten it any more it will leak.

Sounds good to me. But I've lost count how many times people posting 'how to' videos on youtube will say '...now use some of the old engine oil to smear around the seal of your new filter...' No!!! >:( The oil engine oil will contain metal particles and other crud held in suspension. You do not want to be using old engine oil on a new seal.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
Clips have arrived and seem good quality, individually sealed in bags! I can recommend the following clip removal tool as a quick means of undoing them. It saves monkeying around with a screwdriver ;D.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Mini-Trim-Clip-Removal-Pliers-2pc-Vehicle-Service-Tools-Body-Trim-Doo-/271054768998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1c1f8b66

Dustygd3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd3 sport
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
I always used a honda filter cup tool to get my old oil filter off, very easy to use too!
eBay no 400574081013

Genuine HONDA Filter Tool. These are a must have for any Honda owner. They are perfect fit for all Honda Oil filters (OEM & HAMP) and are used by Honda technicians themselves. They easier to use than all of the universal style removal tools in that you simply use a 17mm socket/spanner to remove the filter... it couldnt be any easier!!

Dusty

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
Ok thanks for the intel.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
Apologies to how2 I've just had a look at the oil filter and it does have a torque spec on it. :-[ I have (many moons ago) buckled an oil filter wall when I used an undo tool to tighten a filter. So I know how paper thin the steel walls are on these filters. Anyhoo I attach the pics to prove.

How do you jack the front of the car up? Haynes says using the bottom radiator cross member, but there appears to be a plastic guard covering bottom of radiator.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything