Author Topic: 16" space saver wheel  (Read 6979 times)

guest3368

16" space saver wheel
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »
Hi, I know this subject is on a previous thread but that is over 8 months old. Anyway I have a EX Jazz & like others do not like the thought of not having a spare wheel (even a space saver).  I've been looking at the prices on the web & by chance I visited my local dealer who had a 16" (Part no: 06421-TF0-E10) in stock.  The parts dept guy said that they make plenty of sales for these wheels so they always keep a few in stock.  Plus I managed a discount so - you can get a 16" space saver wheel & do ask for a discount.

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
Re: 16" space saver wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
is it a secret what you paid, did you get the kit or wheel and screw ? Ive seen the full kit on ebay for £180 or part kit without floor for £157, I just cant make my mind up on what to get yet

guest3858

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:48:40 AM »
I paid 180 pound for my brand new space saver wheel from Honda for that price you get a new space saver wheel plus a new plastic thing which goes on the top of the spare wheel and on top of that you have a new carpet and a sticker.
If you have an S.I model like mine with the optional cargo net  you will find that the plastic thing is to thick and the carpet too is no needed for one this because the plastic thing is not sitting flush with the boot floor.
I removed the plastic thing and the extra carpet and i can still use my cargo net.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
I managed to find a second hand original alloy complete with part worn tyre on the bay for £80 some months ago. So now if I have a puncture I can carry on without speed restrictions and no urgency to have punctured tyre repaired.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest3368

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Hi, I paid £150,  not much less than eBay I guess but I was able to check the wheel & didn't have to wait plus it is a 16" not 15" as seems to be what is on offer on eBay ( although I dont think there is any safety related difference between the two).

One thing I didn't ask & need to find out is if I have to fit the spare wheel do the crome wheel nuts - 3 normal & 1 locking fit the space saver, or do I have to fit normal wheel nuts?

Finally, it came with a polystyrene insert which sits on top, retaining bolt & washer & carpet.  The polystyrene insert has trays cut in which can accommadate a few bits such as the blue tool kit that came with the car, it doesn't quite fit flush as noted by batman but I'm using the insert at the moment.  I have a rubber anti-slip mat covering the boot area so the area is covered so it is virtually level.

Road noise doesn't seem worse with the replacement carpet & it means I dont have to carry the Honda tyre gunk & compressor (plus the tin of Holts tyre repair that I bought).

Yes, a trade off between loss of storage space & piece of mind but as I'm off touring Northumberland a couple of times this year I'm comfortable with the former.

Hope this helps.

uovouvou

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX with Premium Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:38 AM »
One thing I didn't ask & need to find out is if I have to fit the spare wheel do the crome wheel nuts - 3 normal & 1 locking fit the space saver, or do I have to fit normal wheel nuts?

If you need the spare wheel you just fit the standard chrome wheel nuts and locking nut.  I can guarantee that this works as I had to drive 30 miles (at 50mph on the M1 - now that was an experience) after a blowout.  Interestingly, the tyre tread on the space saver didn't look any different, so I would presume that you could go further than the 50 miles recommended if you were sensible (i.e. stopping every 50 miles for 15 minutes to allow the tyre to cool down perhaps).

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
Got a 16 matching alloy from eBay for £10 and 8 delivery and falken Tyre for £ 70 so I'm sorted for a spare wheel .  OK the wheel is not mint, no scratches but it got some flaky paint and crossion. Mostly inside the wheel but some by the valve but will be ok as a spare. May clean it up with some paint at a later date. There was a couple of wheels at £ 75 and £25 postage but made it a little expensive with Tyre.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:06:33 PM by jazzster »

Tags: