Author Topic: RAC advert  (Read 9343 times)

guest3350

RAC advert
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
Have people seen the RAC advert, can't believe they are showing a Honda Jazz as the car that has broken down.They obviously haven't done their research,using one of the most reliable cars on the road.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: RAC advert
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Funny thing,  I was only talking about that the other day - the car they rescue should be French or Italian,  by using a Jazz (or any Honda) the RAC risk losing all credibility for the advert.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:31 AM »
They would not be in buisness if everyone drove a japanese car... the only way a jazz would be broken down is if it had ran out of petrol or had a flat battery.. and yes, it would be a french/italian car as they should well know!! i had a AA man out to our van not long ago and we got chatting and he said the only hondas he had ever gone out to was the faults i have already mentioned... obviously they are having a dig maybe??  ;)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:32:41 AM »
Ahh you have fallen for it . . . . . you need to think of it the other way round, that even the most reliable car COULD breakdown, and that is why you need breakdown cover.  ;D ;D ;D

guest3273

• Topic Starter
RAC advert
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
It was probably some advertising executive who knows bugger all about cars!

guest2662

• Topic Starter
Re: RAC advertzzie
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
spot on ozzie  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
You have a point Ozzie - But it's a bit like using size 10 models in weight watchers adverts as the 'before diet' examples,  or people that already have perfect skin and hair (and everyone knows they have, because they are a model, and became a model because they have good skin and hair etc.) in haircare and cosmetic adverts.

But if everyone drove Japanese cars the 'fourth emergency services' would have to rename themselves as 'the flat tyre, battery and fuel supply service', or the 'clueless driver rescue services'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »
Yep, I agree Culzean.

The one that gets me is the shaving ads, if its a shave "in progress" it shows a face covered in foam, and he is already closely shaven underneath, or a computer animated graph showing how the razor with x number of blades cuts closer than previous multi-blade razors, and of course, the kiss from the lass at the end.  :D

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
Even worse are the adverts for food that have been sprayed with some chemical that is supposed to enhance their natural colour.  Daughter used to work for Saatchi & Saatchi and she said all that food had to be thrown away as it was unfit to eat.  She wanted to donate it to a homeless person's shelter but was told it might poison someone!

There is no RAC in South Africa, but the Automobile Association's TV advert showed a broken down school bus being towed by an AA van.  A bit farcical since the bus must have weighed 3-4 tons and here was a 1200cc Nissan LDV towing it!
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
i watch almost all of my tele programs on the computer so i dont see many adverts, but I remember this one http://youtu.be/uBOmqecAAsU

totally unrelated to the topic at hand however.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
Here it is:

RAC advert

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:36:04 PM by RichardA »

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
You can see what's the matter with that Jazz.  It looks neglected, has a harassed owner, probably his wife and daughter are giving it stick, and the tyres look a bit flat.

I think we are unimpressed since they featured a Jazz, our pride and joy.  May I suggest that you send that link to Honda and get them to suggest to the RAC that a 1980's Ford might be a better bet (or a Trabant).  The advert could not have cost much to make.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
Note to self - find out how to embed Youtube videos! :)

Actually, it's common for the AA and RAC to use thinly disguised Japanese and Far Eastern cars in their adverts. There was an AA advert some years back with young guy wishing he'd spent the money on breakdown cover rather than some new jeans (now ruined by wiping his greasy/oily hands on them). He clearly was driving a Proton Persona (i.e., mid 90s shape Mitsubushi Lancer).

guest3312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 01:08:19 AM »
Note to self - find out how to embed Youtube videos! :)

other forums have a little icon at the top(like the one for embedding a picture or link) idk how to set it though.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
How to embed a YouTube video:

This is taken from a forum I run - forum.ccc.za.org

1 - View the YouTube video clip you want to use (it must be YouTube, Adobe flash clips do not work)
2 - While it is playing, right-click on the picture, select "copy embed video' and left click this

(this will copy the URL of the video to your clipboard, its quite long and will look like this  <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>[/color]

3 - Back to the forum, go to the category you want.    Click on NEW TOPIC

4 - Now, click on the round RED symbol on the menu bar just above this message, on the left.  This is the flash command

You will need to do a bit of editing

5 - The flash command inserts the code:  flash=200,200 into your message.  200 x 200 is too small, this is the size of the video clip.  If you look at the YouTube URL above, you will see it says "height: 390px and width: 640px.

6 - Go to the flash command you have just inserted when you clicked on the flash symbol and edit the 200,200 to read 640,360  (get the order right)

7 - Now, the tricky bit.  You have the URL of the video clip in your clipboard.  Position your mouse between the two sets of square brackets ] & [ and then press Ctrl+V.  This will insert the whole YouTube URL into this space.

You haven't finished yet.

8 - Very carefully insert your mouse on the right-hand side of the last ] in the flash command, and delete some of the URL until you get to the words" value="http and delete them so the very first word right against the last ] is http  (no space between ] and http)

Ok so far.

9 - Now, click on Preview below and you should see the video clip appear in your message

10 - Now Post it.

Tags:

anything