Author Topic: Back ache  (Read 8639 times)

Alan

Back ache
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
Been suffering a back ache ever since I have had the car (March) which I am now putting down to the drivers seat. I wondered if anyone else has suffered this problem and what they did to cure it.  :( :(

guest3312

• Topic Starter
Re: Back ache
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
I personally am not used the the lumbar support either. My Z has nice cushy sink-in backs. It took a week for me to adjust to it, but at first, I couldnt imagine myself driving any longer than 30 minutes in that seat.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
I assume that my 2011 EX CVT is much the same as yours, There is no separate lumbar adjustment.
 I have to say that I have had no problems with journeys up to 300 odd miles.
The total mileage stands at just short of 9k at the moment and no probs so far.
Although I am reasonably tall, I do drive with the seat fully back, raised to it's highest position and fairly upright, as my previous car was a 4 x 4 and I enjoyed the high driving position.
I believe I would have back problems if I drove with the seat backrest sloping back to any degree.
Don't know whether that helps.

Alan

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
I assume that my 2011 EX CVT is much the same as yours, There is no separate lumbar adjustment.
 I have to say that I have had no problems with journeys up to 300 odd miles.
The total mileage stands at just short of 9k at the moment and no probs so far.
Although I am reasonably tall, I do drive with the seat fully back, raised to it's highest position and fairly upright, as my previous car was a 4 x 4 and I enjoyed the high driving position.
I believe I would have back problems if I drove with the seat backrest sloping back to any degree.
Don't know whether that helps.

I have found that I have to have the seat back upright far more than I did with my Civic (no back trouble there) as any reclining position becomes agony, a situation I have not experienced in any other car. I think it is caused by the built in lumber support which as you mention is not adjustable, more lumber than support I am afraid.
I popped into my friendly Honda dealer this morning who let me try out a Jazz with leather seats, which are softer and the lumber support is not as prominent and I found them far more comfortable in all positions.. :(

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
I think it is fairly universally accepted that good lumbar support is very important in any seat, car or otherwise, and I find the Jazz seat excellent in that respect. In fact, in previous cars that didn't have such good support in that area, I used to stick a cushion in the small of my back. The criticism that I would level at the seat in my current Jazz (2010 EX) is that the head rest is a bit too far forward, forcing my head and neck into an unnatural and uncomfortable position.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »
The head-rest on my one can tilt, so if you tilt it towards the back window, it does not protude so far forward.  The book devotes many pages to health and safety that it is becoming a nuisance.  They seem as bad in Japan as they are in England about H&S
If music be the food of love, play on

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
i am a dissabled driver, (crumbling at base of the spine) blue badge holder, i have driven many cars, i find the jazz to be the most comfortable of all the cars i have driven, i-e new smart Hyundai Nissan note, Toyota IQ Nissan micra Renault mod as, fieat panda, all in the last eight years, the jazz is the most comfortable of all the cars i have owned.

guest3340

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
I also suffer with back problems and find the Jazz very comfortable, the lumbar support is spot on in my opinion ;D

guest2040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
I find that you have to adjust the seat tiny amounts until you get it right,
 then pray no one moves it.

Plus all the supermini's i have owned have had what i call small seats,
 the Audi that i owned had a seat that was like a armchair.

guest3196

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Been suffering a back ache ever since I have had the car (March) which I am now putting down to the drivers seat. I wondered if anyone else has suffered this problem and what they did to cure it.  :( :(

Mine has leather seats - not sure if it makes a difference. For the first couple of weeks I couldn't get comfortable, but fortunately minute adjustments of the back rest resulted in a pain free driving position, and I'm happy with it now. Everyone has strict orders not to move the back rest.

guest3300

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »
The Jazz is "Officially" the wife's car but, as my car is a Volvo V70, the Jazz Hybrid is now more of our everyday car giving nearly three times the mpg!!
My back does sometimes give me some grief and I'd always considered the Volvo seats to be the best in the business. I could adjust the lumbar support until the driving position was really comfortable.
I do like the seats in the Jazz as they have a fair degree of lumbar support as well but I've found it best to raise the seat just about as far as it'll go and to spend some time getting the seat back just right. Don't forget to adjust the steering wheel as well, that can have a significant effect on your driving comfort.
Fortunately my adjustments also suit the wife so there's little chance of them being altered.

guest3309

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »
Same thing happened to me. Within a week of getting the car (2010 EX) I experienced lower back ache. I had a 2004 Civic Ex before in which I never had a problem. It seems minute adjustments may help but I admit to using cushions!
It is the only thing I would fault the car for and I would swap the front seats if there was a precedent for doing so.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
I think you guys that experience back ache maybe have the angle of the seat back set incorrectly.  One daughter is a orthopaedic surgeon and she commented favourably about the seats in a Jazz.  She is all for people having the seat as upright as comfortable, and sitting up straight.  Also vital is how you have to move to grip the steering wheel.  Since the wheel can be adjusted, its important to get this right, or you may be leaning forward to hold the wheel.   Even a few degrees can make a difference.  She drives a Citroen DS and this has amazing seats.
If music be the food of love, play on

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
Have the seat back fairly upright, you should be able to comfortably hold the top of steering wheel with arms slightly bent,  but normally hold it at 10 to 2 position.  Seat base should be low enough that front of it doesn't press into back of thighs when legs are in normal driving position, if it does press into the thigh it can become uncomfortable on longer journeys.   I drive quite a few miles and find that this works for me.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: