Author Topic: Gearbox oil  (Read 4817 times)

TonyO

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
Gearbox oil
« on: October 05, 2026, 05:58:12 PM »
I have a 2016 1.3 Manual transmission.  It's done 53,000 miles. The gearbox is still smooth and quiet, but given the car is now 10 years old, should I change the transmission fluid?

ColinB

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1552
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2026, 06:11:41 PM »
Honda recommendation is every 8 years or 75k miles. Your choice.

My car is similar age and mileage. When it was at the 8-year point, it was covered by a service plan and gearbox oil should have been changed then. But I can't check; I have no record of work done under the plan and the dealer has closed and taken the service records with them. And it seems they didn't report to the Honda mothership. So I've asked for the oil to be changed when it's serviced next week. Similar "Has it been done?" issue arises with the other infrequent service items such as coolant change (10 years or 125k), spark plugs (75k), and fuel filter (6yrs or 75k).

TonyO

  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2026, 07:31:40 PM »
My local garage said no need,because the gearbox is operating so smoothly. My instinct is that this is exactly when to get it done, rather than wait for issues to develop. I'll take it to a Honda dealership I think.

TnTkr

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 928
  • Country: fi
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2026, 07:33:58 PM »
I'd suggest changing the gearbox oil. And do not accept anything else than Honda's oil.

CRC

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 224
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2026, 09:13:55 PM »
I changed the manual gearbox oil at around 65 k on ours, used about 1.3 litres of Honda oil ( it actually says on the bottle "For ALL Honda manual gearboxes") and couldn't really see a difference between the oil that came out and the new oil that went in ... both were clean and golden, with no swarf on the sump plug magnet.

It obviously does it's job well, because at 132k miles, the gearbox is as slick now as it was at 20k miles.

pebbles

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:23:59 AM »
just changed the transmission oil in the wife's 2013 ( GG ).
The gear change was fine in normal weather but got a bit notchy in the recent heatwave.

According to the schedule my 2018 GK should be due now , @ 6 years , but it can wait . The gear change is fine and it's only done 40K.

jazzaro

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 859
  • Country: it
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:26:41 AM »
I have a 2016 1.3 Manual transmission.  It's done 53,000 miles. The gearbox is still smooth and quiet, but given the car is now 10 years old, should I change the transmission fluid?
Replace oil every 72 months or 75k miles, the first expiry you reach.


ColinB

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1552
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:34:08 AM »
I have a 2016 1.3 Manual transmission.  It's done 53,000 miles. The gearbox is still smooth and quiet, but given the car is now 10 years old, should I change the transmission fluid?
Replace oil every 72 months or 75k miles, the first expiry you reach.

What’s the source of that image please? It’s slightly different to what my nearest dealer is telling me, so I’d like to be clear before challenging him.

pebbles

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:45:41 PM »
from the owners manual  page 479.
that's the section I refer to for most servicing jobs.

ColinB

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1552
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:06:20 PM »
from the owners manual  page 479.
that's the section I refer to for most servicing jobs.

Yes, I agree. But the info in my copy of the handbook is different to the one Jazzaro posted, which is why I'm wondering where that comes from.

jazzaro

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 859
  • Country: it
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:54:54 PM »

What’s the source of that image please? It’s slightly different to what my nearest dealer is telling me, so I’d like to be clear before challenging him.
It should come from HondaKarma, just some days before the shutdown.

Tags:
 

Back to top