Author Topic: Accelerator issue when first start  (Read 7748 times)

Sammi27

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2004
Accelerator issue when first start
« on: May 25, 2024, 11:41:26 PM »
HI, I bought a Honda Jazz 2004. First car. Great car BUT when it first starts the accelerator doesn't work?. I have to start the car, wait a few minutes then the accelerator will give me speed. If I don't wait a couple of mins then I can pump the accelerator and the car won't move. No power in the accelerator?? Once it's going then its fine but it passed its Mot etc. Honestly getting annoying sitting in the car for 2/3mins before it goes.  It's automatic,, I dare not drive long distances at present

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Re: Accelerator issue when first start
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 07:35:39 AM »
Can you clarify by what you mean by "no power"?

Is the problem that the engine does not rev or when the engine revs the car does not move?

Also, when was the car last serviced and do you know if the transmission fluid has been renewed?

If you can give us an idea of current mileage that may help.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Accelerator issue when first start
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 11:11:35 AM »
If you mean the engine speeds up but the car doesnt move  its likely to be a problem with the CVT   automatic transmission.        It may improve  if you get the transmission oil drained and replaced with fresh fluid of the correct type. 

Unfortunately the correct oil/fluid is quite expensive and I cant guarantee   it will be a complete cure.  But its a regular serving requirement on cvt cars  so if its been neglected in the past it  may need doing anyway even if another cause is found.  .

Not all garages have enough experience to work on cvt transmissions beyond possibly changing the oil, or  replacing the entire transmission with a  working one.  If they can even find  a decent replacement. .  Some older CVT Jazz are in the scrap yard for that very reason. They have a faulty CVT gearbox which will cost more to repair than the value of the car  (Sorry)   But try and find an independent garage with experience of Honda  and  CVT Jazz, as they may know of a cheap and easy fix. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 11:24:11 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Tags:

anything