Author Topic: Instrument clust not working  (Read 961 times)

booradley

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Honda Jazz 1.3ltr
Instrument clust not working
« on: July 13, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
2011 Honda Jazz,

I bought this car off a family friend who recently had the car MOTed and had a new battery put in both around a couple weeks ago. Test drove it the day before and was absolutely fine, next day I come back to pick it up and somewhere along the 5/10 minute drive home the whole instrument cluster is not working, so the rev dial, the speedometer and fuel gauge have all flatlined and the digital display within the speedometer is backlit but blank. Attached is an image of what the instrument clust looks like.

When we got home, we turned the engine off and got out the car and the lighting on the instrument cluster was still lit up even though the car and engine was off and car was locked. I did come and check on it in the morning and the instrument cluster lighting had turned itself off at least (saving the battery) but the problem with the gauges still persists.

I was thinking could possibly be related to new battery? I have checked the fuse which associated with instrument cluster and looks fine, should i check all of the fuses for good measure? Also my dad was fiddling with a lot of the lights and switches in the car to try and get the appropriate lights on the car before driving it back, may that did something? I have no idea what could have caused this to be honest, any help or ideas greatly appreciated. Previous owners i trust and have said they will cover the costs of getting it fixed

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Instrument clust not working
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 10:56:17 AM »
Can you provide a little more info, do you have the Jazz handbook, the radio code usually on a card with service record/handbook, Any other issues do the lights operate side dip main,
If you know the radio code then disconnect the battery for 10-15 mins. Check battery voltage should be 12,5v, if less charge battery. Then reconnect battery check instruments , let the forum know result. We are here to provide help & assistance.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 11:32:07 AM »
Very strange, not something I've ever heard of.

Having a read of the manual http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html - apparently the Jazz has a Guage Control Module. The manual says:

" Gauge Control Module Self-diagnostic Function
NOTE: Before doing the self-diagnostic function, make sure the No. 1 (10 A) and the No. 22 (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box are OK.
The gauge control module has a self-diagnostic function which consists of the following checks:

The beeper drive circuit check.
    The indicator drive circuit check.
    The switch input test.
    The LCD segment check.
    The gauges drive circuit check (Tachometer, Fuel gauge, Speedometer).
    The communication line check (of the body-controller area network (B-CAN) communication line and the fast-controller area network (F-CAN) communication line between the gauges)."

Not sure if that is of any help, but it does tell you which fuses to check.

You can find the Gauges section of the manual in the 'Body' section.

Other ideas: Diagnostic tool to scan for fault codes. Check battery earth strap is clean. Check battery terminals are fitted properly. Ask around for a decent local auto electrician.

HTH

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 02:14:11 PM »
I had the exact same problem back in 2007 with my Civic Hybrid when it was just one week old. My garage did not know what to do and had a hybrid expert come over. They replaced the gauge part of the dashboard, but it was something very simple like a bad connector or a soldering not adequate.
When I got the car back after a few days the odo showed 000000, which was nice  :D

Tags: