Author Topic: Engine Oil Leak  (Read 10361 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Engine Oil Leak
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
The car is a Nov 2006 CVT.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a patch of oil on the drive so I looked underneath.
There were drops of dirty oil on the underside of the engine at the gearbox/engine join and on the black inspection cover.I removed the cover and discovered that the oil appeared to be coming from the vicinity of the rear crankshaft oilseal.
I cleaned it off with a view to keeping an eye on it before taking it to the dealer as it is still under warranty.
The oil level is correct and not over full.
500 miles later there is now no sign of an oil leak.
Now I am forever looking under the car in case it comes back!!
Anyone else experienced this?

Vic.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Engine Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
The oil leak did return but is very slight. As the car is still under warranty I took it in to the dealer who diagnosed a leaking sump gasket and quoted £142 to fix it!
I pointed out that the car is still under warranty until 20th Nov and that the warranty quite clearly states that oil seals are covered.
I am awaiting a phone call to confirm that it is a warranty job.If they find a get out clause my son will do it at his repair shop.
This is covered by a post somewhere on this forum.

Vic.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:56:52 PM by VicW »

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
The sump gasket and sealant were changed under warranty. New engine oil was added but the oil filter wasn't changed!

Vic.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
The oil leak re-appeared so the car was returned to the dealer.They cleaned it up and asked for it to be brought back after 600 miles for further work.
They replaced the sump seal and sealant again and put the old oil back in.
They are convinced they have fixed it this time and are equally convinced that it is not the crankshaft oil seal.
Watch this space!!

Vic.
----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1299352415 -----

guest1461

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »
There is a horse shoe sump seal which is very common to leaking. Never done a rear main oil seal but done loads of the horse shoe seals.
Hope all works out

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
I`ve oil patch at the same place will have a look today.

mod: I`ve bought a new genuine seal from here (£3.99+postage): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270648910903&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:53:42 AM by DV »

guest1844

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
I noticed this today on mine when I was changing the engine oil. Seems to be coming from under the little black plastic cover between the engine and gearbox.
I'd like to know what to do about it, keeping it DIY if possible.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
Bazzer,That is exactly where mine was leaking.  Mine has been in twice under guarantee for this leak and on both occasions the sump gasket and seals were replaced.The garage appear to have succeeded on the second attempt.
I guess it is a nuts and bolts job plus the appropriate parts so it depends on how skilled you are.
On both occasions the garage has had the car for 2.5 hours to give you some idea of the labour charge.

Vic.

guest1844

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
Thanks Vic. What I'm going to do is...nothing for the moment, I'll wait till it gets a bit worse so I can get a good ID on exactly where its coming from (at the moment the area under the plastic cover is just a bit oily, no drips as such). Then change the sump gasket when I next change the oil.
I'm presuming of course it gets worse slowly. I've never had to top the oil up between changes.
Regards

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Last week I changed the engine oil together with the sump seal and noticed today the oil is leaking again at the sump seal!  :(  Have to check it at the weekend.

Mod: The oil was leaking at the new sump seal so I put an extra liquid gasket there. Now, after a few weeks everything is all right.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:38:56 AM by DV »

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
My oil leak returned for a third time but by now the car was out of warranty so I asked my son,who has his own repair business to sort it.
Poolmaster on this forum was very helpful and he had mentioned before a horseshoe seal possibly being at fault.
On investigation it was found that oil was weeping past the horseshoe seal on its underside where it fits in a groove in the sump casting,not at its face with the engine block.
On reassembly the seal was smeared with sealant as well as the rest of the sump face.
Fingers crossed but at least I know now it is not the rear crankshaft oil seal.

Vic.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
If the same fault that had been repaired under warranty re-appeared, should not the dealer attend to this under warranty?  Honda reimburse the dealer for some repairs.

I had a similar instance a few years back with a BMW under motorplan where the dealer took 3 goes to repair it.  On the 3rd attempt they tried to bill me with the equivalent of £700 and I made a fuss and complained to BMW South Africa.  After a 9 month wait they reluctantly agreed to pay it.
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything