Author Topic: Anyone have experience of low speed Rear bumper collision?  (Read 954 times)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
Anyone have experience of low speed Rear bumper collision?
« on: July 01, 2022, 03:06:52 AM »
Hi, we were stationary in a traffic light queue when a lady in a Nissan sedan ran into our Jazz Mk4's rear bumper at a speed under 5mph. The Nissan logo on her car fell off but our rear bumper appears undamaged - no visible crumple or cracks or impact points.
Has anyone on the forum has been involved in a similar rear end collision - if so, what did the damage look like and what was the effect on the rear door and on the electronic sensors in the bumper?
Was there any effect on the car frame crumple zones?
I plan to test that the rear Parking sensors still work OK so I assume this can be done by moving a object steadily closer to the sensors (round "plugs") on the bumper?)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: My Hondas: Were. Original HR-V, 4 CR-Vs, Jazz, HR-V e:HEV. CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV. Now eNiro4+
Re: Anyone have experience of low speed Rear bumper collision?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 08:53:23 AM »
Unfortunately, yes, I have.
I rear ended a `ford Focus at about 3 mph at a roundabout.I e=was driving a Mercedes A class. The Merc badge fell ff the grille and one headlight became dislodged. No other apparent damage.It transpired that anAluminium cross member had been bent by transferred energy.
Total cost of repairs £3,000!!!
Focus looked completely undamaged , but again the cross member behind the bumper was bent. I don't know the cost of her repair was but her total claim was £,300 as the *********** made a false claim for whiplash.
Get your Jazz to your dealer and get it checked out.
The problem is, in modern cars, that the plastic is so flexible it pops back into shape disguising damage behind it.
I do hope you got the other drivers details??!!
God luck.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:00 AM »
Hi, we were stationary in a traffic light queue when a lady in a Nissan sedan ran into our Jazz Mk4's rear bumper at a speed under 5mph.

Exactly the same situation here, only the Nissan was a Qashqai and the speed of the lady was walking pace. No Nissan logo fell off  ;D and no visible damage to either car. Everything still worked properly. Checked at the dealer: absolutely damage free.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:50:29 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Hello,
unfortunately I confirm what Karoq wrote,
I was rear-ended (I had another car model) no apparent damage, but instead a bar behind the bumper was bent, I don't remember exactly the expense but still several thousand euros.
(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google translate)

PaulC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »
Hi,
this is an update to my original post where I described a rear-end collision to our Honda Jazz Mk4 hybrid car.
The car has come back from the panel beater (NZ name for a person who repairs damage to car bodies from accidents) and the work carried out was:
* take the small dent out of the back hatch door and repaint as required
* replace the chrome trim that goes along the bottom of the hatch door
* check the door alignment to the door opening - no damage was found
* replace the "crush can" on the left hand side of the bumper (this is a body part that goes between the bumper and the main car frame, and absorbs the impact when the bumper is hit by something large - it crumples up and distorts so as to soak up the energy from the impact)

All done under insurance so I don't know how much it cost in total, but a Honda Civic crush can for sale on eBay has a price of US $82.

Tags:

anything