Author Topic: Help! Boot interior light won't go off  (Read 783 times)

tomto

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2009 EX
Help! Boot interior light won't go off
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »
I bought a 2009 EX a few months ago and I am having a problem with the interior rear light. It won't turn off!

Symptoms:

A couple weeks ago the "boot door is open" warning light came on as I started driving but the boot door was closed. Tried opening it and slamming it shut but the light came on again. It went off a few seconds later and hasn't shown up again since.

At the same time the 'lock' function on my key fob doesn't lock the car anymore. The 'unlock' works fine.

A couple of days ago the battery was completely flat. I replaced it thinking it was old and dud. After replacing it I double checked lights and things to see if anything was causing battery drain and discovered the boot light to be on even when the boot is closed. I removed the bulb which I hope is enough to stop the battery draining again.

Why is the light always on? Is the door not registering as being closed? Is there a way to fix this?

Any help is much appreciated!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Help! Boot interior light won't go off
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 03:13:11 PM »
The doors won't lock if any of the doors (including boot) are open.

It sounds as if the boot switch or the connections to it are going bad.

It's either your local dealer or a car electrician for a fix if you can't DIY.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »
I bought a 2009 EX a few months ago and I am having a problem with the interior rear light. It won't turn off!

Symptoms:

A couple weeks ago the "boot door is open" warning light came on as I started driving but the boot door was closed. Tried opening it and slamming it shut but the light came on again. It went off a few seconds later and hasn't shown up again since.

At the same time the 'lock' function on my key fob doesn't lock the car anymore. The 'unlock' works fine.

A couple of days ago the battery was completely flat. I replaced it thinking it was old and dud. After replacing it I double checked lights and things to see if anything was causing battery drain and discovered the boot light to be on even when the boot is closed. I removed the bulb which I hope is enough to stop the battery draining again.

Why is the light always on? Is the door not registering as being closed? Is there a way to fix this?

Any help is much appreciated!

The switch that tells the car the boot is closed is faulty,  this affects the locking and the boot light.   The spring loaded switch contacts are normally closed with boot open, turning the light on and are forced open when the lock mechanism pushes on it ( the D shaped hasp on bottom of tailgate opening pushes the white plastic bits in the lock mechanism into the right place when tailgate is closed, allowing it to be locked ), turning the light off and telling the locking system that the tailgate is closed and can be locked.

The switch is part of this ( see attached PDF photo ) -  the switch closes the circuit by switching wire down to bodywork, so can be a short on a wire in there.   

You will probably have to remove trim panel inside tailgate to access the switch.... never had to do it so cannot help with that bit.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00J26273400000KDAT04.HTML

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:45:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Harley Dave

• Jazz newcomer
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 EX-L CVT 1.4 with 16,000 miles in Alabaster Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »
As a temp fix, once you are able to access the switch, you can just pull one of the wires off so the switch (and the car) "thinks" its closed.

Cheers

Dave

tomto

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2009 EX
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:11:23 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. It seems I can leave it for the meantime and the battery won't drain again right? (off on holiday next week). I'll give that fix a go when I get back.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. It seems I can leave it for the meantime and the battery won't drain again right? (off on holiday next week). I'll give that fix a go when I get back.
If the light is off, you're OK. If the light is on, it'll probably drain the battery if you leave it a few days.

I've had problems with my Mk2 when the passenger turned on their interior light, I didn't notice and then both lights came on when I turned off the engine, and because I was parked under bright street lights I didn't notice that the light was still on inside when I locked the car. One weekend later and I had to charge it on an extension lead for an hour or so to get enough in there to be able to crank it. (I now have a little Li-Ion booster battery for such an occurrence.)

Tags: