Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 2053 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Is it just me?
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:36:14 PM »
Is it just me or do you find that the new stylized LED rear indicators are sometimes difficult to see in the sunshine? One car today (cannot remember what it was), had one thin line of LEDs and it was not clear at all. Later I saw a Mini and the horizontal bar of the Union Flag was the indicator. It was difficult to see in the bright sun, but once the brakes were applied it disappeared altogether. A lot to be said for a big orange lens with a big orange bulb. At least you knew where to look. Now they can be hidden anywhere.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »
It's not you,

Also at night with the headlights on the front are almost impossible  to see

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
I find Audi rear indicators are very small and hard to see, add the rear brake lights being on and they are impossible to see,  I have had Audi cars slow down in front of me and I wondered why they slowed, then I see the indicator when I get really close.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=106705
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 05:15:22 PM »
Considering the old laws surrounding vehicle lights, brightness, position, separation, etc, I'm surprised they can get away with some of them.

Some now flash the front white DRL instead of having separate indicators. Looks like a dodgy connection.

Audi and others now sport Knight Rider style rear indicators. Looks funky but does little for road safety.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »
Yeah, it's not just you. Two thoughts cross my mind when I see those Audi sweeping indicators:

1) I bet they're cheap to replace! They'll not be 99p at Euro Car Parts.
2) It's the only way Audi can get their owners to signal by giving them flashy 'look at me' indicators.  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:55:05 PM »
There should be a minimum specified distance (4" / 10cm?) between the edge of any indicator and any other light to avoid the problem of the indicator being drowned by an adjacent light. More attention also needs to be given to ensuring that indicators are visible from a range of angles during a range of light conditions (sometimes sunlight reflected off the plastic makes the flashing light invisible).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »
Some of the front ones are doing the same. The VW T-Roc (what a name?!!) being a case in point.

Yes, we've all seen you!   :D Very flashy. lol.

I remember when the 'Lexus' look of clear rear light lenses made it's way to about every car. Barry boys country wide swapped their rear lights to get the 'Lexus look'. I wonder if the sweeping indicator will be adopted in the same way with aftermarket fitment.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
Hi

Our jazz si has sweeping front indicators as well as the standard indicators

If I find time when it’s darker, I’ll take a video so you can see

Daylight, the sweeping indicators are not fully visible

They also act as DRL but again, not bright in daylight

I just think they look good

Many thanks

John

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »
Yeah, it's not just you. Two thoughts cross my mind when I see those Audi sweeping indicators:

1) I bet they're cheap to replace! They'll not be 99p at Euro Car Parts.
2) It's the only way Audi can get their owners to signal by giving them flashy 'look at me' indicators.  :D
It is just a gimmick,  gimmickry sums up innovation in German motorcars, very little new thinking, nearly all the thinking takes place in Japan, the hybrid, Atkinson cycle engines, laser body panel welding, all from Japan, Germany lags, Citroen used to be thinkers, the DS, even the humble 2CV of the 1940s,  the latter an incredible list of advanced thinking, just ask any engineer.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »
Agree. I hate gimmicky lighting. Lights are there for a purpose, anything which detracts from that purpose is just wrong. The VAG cars which have the indicator in the centre of the tail light are one of the worst offenders, when the brake light is lit the indicator becomes almost invisible. Just a stupid idea. I can't believe the engineers don't do a "clinic" where others comment on styling/ergonomics etc at the start of a project, we used to do them routinely to assess any model changes etc. We didn't hold back on such items, told it the way it was.
Hate the scrolling LED indicators too. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. On/off, that's just fine.

guest4871

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 05:27:39 PM »
Agree. I hate gimmicky lighting. Lights are there for a purpose, anything which detracts from that purpose is just wrong. The VAG cars which have the indicator in the centre of the tail light are one of the worst offenders, when the brake light is lit the indicator becomes almost invisible. Just a stupid idea. I can't believe the engineers don't do a "clinic" where others comment on styling/ergonomics etc at the start of a project, we used to do them routinely to assess any model changes etc. We didn't hold back on such items, told it the way it was.
Hate the scrolling LED indicators too. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. On/off, that's just fine.

I agree with all this one thousand percent.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »

I agree with all this one thousand percent.

Audi drivers will soon tire of their new scrolling direction indicators and stop using them again.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
This is the first sequential indicators I ever saw, way back when.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »
Audi drivers will not probably use them. BMW drivers don't use indicators generally anyway. I remember not many years ago when I approached a cyclist in front of me, I would put the indicator on when safe to pass, and when passing, glanced in the wing mirror to see a  line of cars behind me indicating right. I notice now that cars behind me don't indicate to pass anymore. How times have changed !

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:07 PM »
I agree 100%  :D

Call me cynical, but they have to find something to add to a car to make it new and swanky. All far too much to go wrong for absolutely no gain whatsoever.

A brief google has Audi 'Dynamic' sweeping indicators at £230 each. Hmm, indicator 585 WY21W for my Jazz <£2. Each to their own and all that, but you've got to be crazy to warrant spending all that money on an indicator.

https://eurowagens.com/genuine-rear-light-right-dynamic-indicator-led-audi-q3-14-18-1/?of_tid=MFRWG5B5GM2DGJTGMVSWISLEHUYSM4DSN5SESZB5GEZTENBU&adGroupId=71980804736&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkIzH5Zuz8AIVuWDmCh12kwIKEAQYASABEgKsfPD_BwE
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:35:57 AM by Westy36 »

Tags:

anything