Author Topic: Front wiper failure  (Read 3339 times)

smunley

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 ES Plus CVT
Front wiper failure
« on: December 13, 2020, 01:24:33 PM »
The front wipers on my 64 plate ES have developed a potentially dangerous intermittent fault. My wife was driving my grandchildren to school on Friday morning in typical Scottish winter driving conditions when the front wipers suddenly stopped (in the park position). She had to pull over immediately but after a couple of minutes they started again. She immediately drove the short distance to the school and then to our local independent garage.

The mechanic was very surprised as he had never seen a Jazz fail in this way before. Bullet proof was his description as I know only too well having owned the Jazz since they first came on the market in 2002.

He quickly established that the motor has an intermittent fault. However Honda cannot supply the part until February due to the current shipping issues. Has anyone else seen this failure mode and does anyone have any suggestions how I might source an equivalent part? My Jazz is off the road until this issue is fixed.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
Re: Front wiper failure
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »
That sounds like a frightening experience.

I have just had a quick look on ebay, and there are lots of used examples for not much money. This one
eBay item number: 164221075079 comes from a massive car breaker and with warranty for £20 !!  ;) Do check the part numbers first though. HTH

smunley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 01:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll wait until the mechanic removes the motor tomorrow and I'll check the part numbers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »
The front wipers on my 64 plate ES have developed a potentially dangerous intermittent fault. My wife was driving my grandchildren to school on Friday morning in typical Scottish winter driving conditions when the front wipers suddenly stopped (in the park position). She had to pull over immediately but after a couple of minutes they started again. She immediately drove the short distance to the school and then to our local independent garage.

The mechanic was very surprised as he had never seen a Jazz fail in this way before. Bullet proof was his description as I know only too well having owned the Jazz since they first came on the market in 2002.

He quickly established that the motor has an intermittent fault. However Honda cannot supply the part until February due to the current shipping issues. Has anyone else seen this failure mode and does anyone have any suggestions how I might source an equivalent part? My Jazz is off the road until this issue is fixed.

It sounds like the wiring to the motor rather than the motor is at fault.  The motor still need to turn to return wipers to parked position,  it will do this when power to motor is removed because there is a cam and switch that allows power to remain on motor until the cam trips the switch at park position.  The fact that the wipers park every time says to me that the motor is probably ok.

Here is a video,  there is more to wipers than you thought....

What the guy does not mention it is impossible to back drive a worm gear,  the worm can drive the pinion around,  but the pinion cannot make the worm rotate.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:57:41 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 02:20:09 PM »
Good call culzean. The only wiper motor problem I've had was with an Astra G, and the switch turned out to be the problem. eBay item number: 233298139493 a replacement stalk for £15.  :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
Could be external, but there is a possibility that involves the motor - and you say that your mechanic has established that the motor is at fault.

I've seen exactly the same fault on a Nissan rear wiper motor. On that one, there was a diode in the switched wire to the motor to stop the park signal back feeding, inside the motor assembly - seems to be a Japanese idea. The diode had failed.

Yours could possibly be just a dry joint if it's intermittent. Might be repairable, but a new/used motor should solve it. Not a happy experience, but it's just one of those things - not a common fault on the Honda. I would have thought it likely that all the mk2 wiper motors would be the same.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:09:52 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
Good call culzean. The only wiper motor problem I've had was with an Astra G, and the switch turned out to be the problem. eBay item number: 233298139493 a replacement stalk for £15.  :)

Never had a wiper motor (or any other motor )  fail on any car I have had, wiper motor gets very little use really even in UK.  It is normally something external like a bad connection or dodgy switch / relay.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 12:22:19 AM »
Never had a wiper motor (or any other motor )  fail on any car I have had, wiper motor gets very little use really even in UK.  It is normally something external like a bad connection or dodgy switch / relay.

The only one I've seen is the one I mentioned above, replaced the diode and away.

In general though, you are correct - usually wiper stalk or a relay, though I don't think there is a specific relay at work here - the electronic gubbins is integrated into the MICU (multiplex integrated control unit).

The OP did say that their mechanic has identified the motor as the culprit, I presume he has been able to test while the fault was present.

smunley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
Mechanic removed old motor, gave me the part number, searched for it on Ebay, found the exact part number, ordered on next day delivery and part fitted today. I'll only know in a couple of weeks if it has definitely solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for the support to solve this problem so quickly!

PS part was £30 delivered, Honda wanted £180 and delivery in Feb!

smunley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 04:08:26 PM »
Just to confirm that after 2 months since the wiper motor was replaced all is well.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »
Just to confirm that after 2 months since the wiper motor was replaced all is well.

Always good to hear confirmation of the cause, and of a successful outcome  8)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 04:34:24 PM »
Nice one, hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: