Author Topic: Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer  (Read 14642 times)

guest806

Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
I'm just waiting to pick up my Jazz Hatchback 1.4 i-DSi SE 2005.  It has just over 21k on the clock with a full service history.  Should i continue to maintain the service correctly, i.e. at a Honda dealer, do it my self (How hard is it?) or take it to the local Kwik Fit for ease and Price?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
Well it depends on how long you wanna keep it. If you gonna sell it after a couple of years then i would service it either at honda or kwik-fit. If your gonna keep it for longer and are ok with diy then its pretty easy to maintain yourself. Theres even a haynes manual for it to help you. Anything your not happy doing then get a garage to do it

guest221

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
For a car of that age I'll say Kwik Fit or independent garage.

guest806

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »
Cheers Guys

culzean

• Approved Member
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »
If you intend to keep the car for a while I would service it yourself and save about £100 a time, car dealerships use the stamp in the service book to blackmail people, but I have always serviced my own Hondas, kept them for a long time, done loads of miles and nothing has ever gone wrong - and a full service history doesn't make much difference to the trade in value on a 8 to 10 year old car. For 'dealer service' read 'oil and filter change' - they rarely do anything else.

£150+ at a Honda dealer is a lot to pay for an oil and filter change (I know they give you a cup of coffee and clean your car, but for £25 oil and about £8 for a genuine Honda oil filter, £18 for an air filter + less than an hour of your time it doesn't compare).  You only need a 17mm spanner for drain plug, a filter wrench and remember not to overtighten either the drain plug or the filter when replacing them- the filter will leak if you overtighten, it only need to be hand tight + about 1/4 turn.

I personally change the oil twice a year and the oil and air filters once a year - if you have a set of ramps it only takes about 30 mins to do an oil change (the filter is at the front offside of engine - really easy to get to with the front of the car up on ramps). Be warned that when you take the drain plug out the hot oil will come out horizontally to start with and then the flow slackens off pretty soon, if you want to stop the oil going all over your driveway get an old Cadburys roses or biscuit tin and bodge a few holes in one end of the bottom with a screwdriver, put this on top of your normal draining can and it gives the oil a bigger area to aim at and acts as a reservoir to stop all the oil trying to get through the hole in the catcher all at once.

The best think about changing your own oil is that you know exactly what's going into the engine, Castrol magnatec semi-synthetic 5-30 or 10-40 is fine - if you are feeling generous towards your engine add some molyslip.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest863

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »
I agree with all culzean has posted. I have Jazz 1.4 auto 05 plate. Oil gachange twice a year and oil and air filter change once a year. Last autumn I was adventerous and changed all the sparkplugs. To my surprise there are 8!!!. But the new sparks plugs do make a difference (after 30,000miles) and gives a quieter and smoother engine and better MPG.

:)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:21 PM »
30k miles on those plugs?
Their meant to be changed every 24k miles!

guest806

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
My old car a VW Polo, I serviced yearly and changed the plugs oil, oil filter and air filter.  I only do about 6k a year. Going from the replies i could possibly get away with oil and oil filter yearly, air filter and pollen filter every 2 years and plugs every 4.

I think I'll do the oil and filter yearly and the plugs air filter and pollen filter every other year.

I'll probably look at adding an engine clean like D-Tox once a year.

204driver

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Do NOT let kwik fit anywhere near your car!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
Why?

guest765

• Topic Starter
Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
The posts here are all sensible so you have your own way of doing things.....i just have one point however.........if you change the oil and you go to the trouble of raising the car and draining the old oil you should really change the oil filter every time.
For the cost of an oil filter its false economy not to do this.........using a top oil and not penny pinching with spurious oils is a good point too you have to know what type of oil is going into your engine. The air filter is an important item too for the cost of an air filter is negligible compared with the service it provides.....your engine needs to breathe.......the air filter is there to make sure it can. So for £70 approx a year changing the oil and filter and the air filter plus a set of the correct spark plugs is approx £6 a month .......or if you do high mileage then the number of services will be more obviously. I am lucky to have an independent garage who i trust to do my work and he allows me to take my own parts including oil and Honda filters......there are plenty around who do this .......just go along and ask !!!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Kwik Fit Vs Honda Dealer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
This is not related to Honda but regards Kwik Fit.

Dad recently discovered the offside rear wheel on his Kia Rio was getting very hot. On taking the wheel off he found the brake caliper was sticking.

As his Rio is almost five years old (and before Kia raised the warranty cover from three to five years) he took it to Kwik Fit as there seemed little point in taking it the Kia dealer. What followed was much mucking around by Kwik Fit; first they failed to diagnose the caliper problem and said it just needed new pads/discs, then when pointed in the right direction, they decided they couldn't get hold of a caliper, rear pads and discs (as the heat generated by the caliper had damaged the rear discs) as they deal with a parts distributer who buys from the dealer who was 'unable' to get a price for the parts from a Kia dealer. So Dad had enough and had the car recovered and taken to a Kia dealer. At least Kwik Fit didn't charge him as it was covered by their free brake check, but it failed to find the sticking caliper!

He's not best pleased as you can imagine. It's made me think twice about taking my Jazz to Kwik Fit for anything other than tyres, pads or exhausts! Maybe they would have more luck in getting Honda parts than with Kia, but I don't know if I'd chance it.

guest1461

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
After last nights watchdog programme it has to be a Honda dealer every time. Stay well away from Kwik fit unless you want to spend money on things that dont need doing.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
Saw that too.  Done their reputation no good!

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
I went into KwikFit with my old Renault 21 for a new exhaust. They told me I needed new disks and pads. When I asked them how much they had worn and how they had measured the wear, they went a bit quiet. Still insisted they needed changing though. So, I asked them for the measurements - what is the manufacturer's size and when do they say they should be changed, they just asked me to feel the ridger on the disk!
I said that that was OK as the pads didn't touch that bit. They were a bit miffed but they didn't get the job.
I got shot of the car when it was 11 years old and 130k miles. The disks were never changed in all that time!

KwikFit represent the worst in cowboy car repairers!

Tags:

anything