Author Topic: GPS - TomTom  (Read 15624 times)

guest5589

Re: GPS - TomTom
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
I have mounted a TomTom on the Tom Tom own brand disc stuck to the top of the dashboard. Tried the Halfords cheap discs but they didn't stick very well. The Tom Tom one looks the same but seems to have a better sticky pad (at risk of stating the obvious they are much cheaper on E bay!). I then fed the charging cable into the top glove box and drilled a hole on the offside of the box (RHD car) and fed the wire into the back of the dash. I use small rubber grommet to make it look neat. If you drop the glove box you can feed the wire down to the trim just above the 12v power point and keep it through to enable you to plug it in normally. You will need to remove the small flat panel just above the 12v socket by levering the clips at the BOTTOM of the panel (you will break the lugs off it if you lever the top). It keeps the wire very neat and enables the auto on/off function of the TomTom to work. The only thing I haven't managed to do yet is find some small neat black cable clips for the top of the dash behind the vents.

It will be great if you can post photos of your install as it will help others come to a decision  :)

guest5708

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:28:19 PM »
Have attached three photos which show the drivers view of the TomTom, note the charging wire running along the top of the dash, into the top glove box. There is photo of the hole in the side of the top glove box into which the charging wire fits and then where it comes out next to the 12v port at the bottom of the dash. Next move is to replace the cigarette lighter with a proper USB port as the adaptors I have been using are interfering with the radio and are not very reliable (they tend to shake loose)

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5708

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I have now installed a USB socket in the top glove box (bought from E bay) and it now all works really well and is quite neat. The radio is still terrible though!

Tags: