Author Topic: Latest update on Delta variant from Tomas Pueyo FAQ part one  (Read 5919 times)

guest4871

Re: Latest update on Delta variant from Tomas Pueyo FAQ part one
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 07:52:51 PM »
Interesting. It did strike me as strange that a third booster jab was recommended so soon after the second jab. I believe that Israel is now planning to roll out a fourth Pifzer jab in the cycle.

PS The "recent study" in Israel is dated 20 August. The whole subject is all rather fast moving and experimental. No one really knows yet what the outcomes are longer term. I just hope they have got it right otherwise we won't have a problem with global warming   :(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »
Seems that in Israel despite being one of the most vaccinated and proactive countries on the planet that there is steep rise in cases....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 08:33:08 PM »
Seems that in Israel despite being one of the most vaccinated and proactive countries on the planet that there is steep rise in cases....
To be expected as the effectiveness of the vaccinations reduces. The issue is whether cases end up in hospital or just give peoples' immune systems a boost.

In a way I'm happy to have had a mild dose of what was most likely Delta as it gives my immune system better training than the booster. Nonetheless, I'll get the booster in due course because reporting a positive test result has wiped my vaccination history in the NHS app so I hope a booster will get the system happy again.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
They were saying on the news this morning that this third Pfizer booster jab is making a huge difference with close to 100% effectiveness as it's been developed for the latest variants.
AFAIK any tweaked versions of the vaccines are still only at the trials stage. However, the effectiveness of the original Pfizer jab in preventing covid infections in the over-65s is less than 50% after 6 months (AZ is even worse) although both will most likely prevent hospitalisation. I discovered the poor defence the hard way as I got a dose of the real thing (probably, I discovered afetrwards, from an ardent anti-vaxxer) a week before being eligible for a booster. It was like having a bad cold but with the added hassle of having to isolate (still ongoing) to minimise the risk of passing it on. There's talk of reducing the gap before the booster to 5 months. While this may be driven by the politicians's desire to see more boosters dispensed, I know I'm not alone in getting infected close to the 6 month mark and this may be a factor in the suggested change.

Sorry to hear about your infection. Hope you make a quick and full recovery.
AFAIK the booster jab has not been tweeked but is proving to be highly effective but the rate of vaccination has not been as fast as hoped.
This is covered in the Indie Sage video above from about 4 minutes.
The efficiency of both Astra Zenecca and Pfizer vaccines drops off with time and declines gradually.
The booster is at present being given to the older, more vulnerable, population but the driver of the infection is the spread amongst the young.
I've got an appointment booked for the end of the month.
 I will continue to take precautions --avoid crowded places, mask where appropriate and social distancing.

They also found that people who have recovered from Covid have much better longer lasting immunity then the immunity from Pfizer vaccine, even if they had not been exposed to delta variant before they had very good immunity without needing  booster shot.

https://newsrescue.com/large-israel-study-confirms-previous-infection-better-protection-against-delta-than-pfizer-shot/
I think the jury is still out on the comparison between covid acquired immunity and vaccine acquired immunity but why risk the potentially serious disease when you can acquire immunity from a fixed dose of tested vaccine and also avoid the risk of spreading the disease to others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58322882

Edit Just re-watched Indie Sage video. If you don't watch anything else, the part between ~4minutes and 7minutes on boosters and transmission is well worth watching.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 09:21:17 PM by JimSh »

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 09:01:30 PM »

Source?

That statement seems to be somewhat at odds with the official figures-

guest4871

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
While the third vaccine being offered is being called a "Booster" jab, for those who have had the AZ jab it is not a booster.

The Pifzer vaccine is a completely different vaccine technology. It is a little disingenuous to call it a "Booster".

It is a first dose of a new vaccine type.

I am anxious, with this Government "Nudge" Unit, we not being told something or are being somewhat misled? The information being released is very tightly controlled and is easy to misinterpret to achieve their desired outcome which might not be everyone else's best interest.

A French woman I once met while walking in a field locally said to me " The British are very gullible". I think there is great truth in that observation.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2021, 12:46:03 AM »
A French woman I once met while walking in a field locally said to me " The British are very gullible". I think there is great truth in that observation.

Well, I believe her.  ;D

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »

Well, I believe her.  ;D

Moi aussi, mais c’est un autre sujet. ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
Seems to me if you want short term immunity <6 months keep getting the jabs at least twice a year  - for how long nobody knows. Much longer immunity can maybe be obtained from just the first shots of vaccine to 'prime' the system and then expose the population to 'the real thing' ( herd immunity )  - which I suspect is what the government is doing by opening up society and not re-imposing lockdowns ( which IMHO would be political and economic suicide ).   The world has never been, and will never be a risk free place.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/#graph-deaths-daily

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/#graph-cases-daily

These graphs illustrate exactly why the media is wrong to concentrate on cases rather than deaths ( but 90% of UK media loves to bash the government, and will not miss any opportunity ) ... if you flick over to 'daily cases' the graph is real scary,  but on the 'daily deaths' graph I find it very reassuring.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
Seems to me if you want short term immunity <6 months keep getting the jabs at least twice a year  - for how long nobody knows. Much longer immunity can maybe be obtained from just the first shots of vaccine to 'prime' the system and then expose the population to 'the real thing' ( herd immunity )  - which I suspect is what the government is doing by opening up society and not re-imposing lockdowns ( which IMHO would be political and economic suicide ).   The world has never been, and will never be a risk free place.

It seems to me that herd immunity is the intention of the government too and they were originally going to try it without the benefit of vaccines.

You find 150,000 + deaths reassuring?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Scroll down to
Reported Cases and Deaths by Country or Territory and look at deaths per million
to see how competent the government has been.
They are still up there with the Trumps and Bolsonaros

Back to the present
The link between infections and hospitalisations may have been weakened by the vaccines but it has not been broken.
Inevitably more infections will mean more hospitalisations and ultimately deaths. Also there will be a greater probability of the virus mutating.
By enforcing a few, almost trivial restrictions now - mask wearing, social distancing restrictions of crowds, the government could cut infections and hence hospitalisations and deaths without much effect on the economy and avoid further lockdowns which would have a much greater effect on the economy.
Instead they appear to be sticking their heads in the sand again and waiting till it's too late.
The hospitals and care services are near breaking point again and it's not yet winter.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:24:41 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
Nobody has died in our entire county in last 2 months.... how safe do you need to feel before you come out of the cellar...

The UK is full of very unhealthy old people ( and some not so old ),  either through lifestyle choices or just dealt a bad hand of cards in the poker game of life.

The dire warning claims of the NHS every autumn are just part of the scenery now, the dire warnings are just part of their demand for more money, for the already wasteful NHS.   There were no reported cases of influenza in last 18 months, they either did not happen or were pushed into the 'died of Covid' basket.

I am more worried about the UK only having 4 days reserves of gas ( most other European countries have 4 to 6 weeks ) and our reliance on fans on sticks and solar panels ( you may have noticed, not much solar power available in UK during October-March, and the wind often drops for long periods in winter ).   No good vaccinating people for covid if they are going to freeze to death because of misguided lunatic green energy policies.

The eco warriors were jumping up and down because for one day earlier this month wind supplied 40% of our power, but it was fairly warm anyway - so not  a high demand day anyway. Not a peep out of them for the whole of September when wind contribution never really went above 5% and often nearer 2 %.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:53:55 PM by culzean »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »
According to the Gov coronavirus dashboard, 3 people died in Hillingdon last week and 2 died in Wokingham, the 2 areas I check fairly often.

What we don't know of course is whether they died 'with covid' or 'of covid'
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »

The dire warning claims of the NHS every autumn are just part of the scenery now, the dire warnings are just part of their demand for more money, for the already wasteful NHS.   There were no reported cases of influenza in last 18 months, they either did not happen or were pushed into the 'died of Covid' basket.

You mean the underfunded, understaffed NHS ?

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 02:16:52 PM »
According to the Gov coronavirus dashboard, 3 people died in Hillingdon last week and 2 died in Wokingham, the 2 areas I check fairly often.

What we don't know of course is whether they died 'with covid' or 'of covid'
Does it really matter  if it is covid or a heart attack or pneumonia induced by covid?

Tags: