Author Topic: CVT  (Read 3008 times)

guest5664

CVT
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Hallo people.

I am a future owner of a Honda Jazz, I've been waiting for it already 6 month.

Now i own a Kia Venga with a odd 4 gears automatic gear box, and that is the only reason why i won't buy another one, now the new Kia Venga comes with 6 gears automatic so i am again thinking about it.

Here in Poland, the Honda Jazz is not available jet, it will be in a mouth time, I've seen the new Jazz in the motor show in Gdansk, and after sitting en touching the Jazz I've noticed that there is no comparison with Kia, definitely i want a Jazz.

There is only one point, here in Poland there will not be a CVT version for a test drive, (it always was like this) so I'll not be able to try it first, OK i will try the manual one but that is not what i am going to buy.

I am a relaxed driver, and in normal live I never put the engine higher than 3000 RPM when accelerating in the city, only in the highway my car makes 4000 RPM when i am going 140km/h (aloud speed here in Poland) and that is very noisy so i am obliged to go slower, like 120km/h.

How it is to drive relaxed in the city with the CVT, do i have to pull more than 3000 RPM to go with the traffic?
How many RPM does the Jazz at 140km/h, is it noisy and annoying at that speed?

Thank in advance

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: CVT
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
The engine in my new Jazz with CVT runs at about 2000 rpm when cruising at about 100km/h so I would expect around 3000 rpm at 140 km/h at which speed the wind and road noise will dominate. However, acceleration or hills could require temperarily higher revs and the engine noise may be slightly noticeable.

It is easy to keep below 3000 rpm in city driving provided that you drive in a relaxed style and don't race to the next red traffic lights. The engine speed is very sensitive to how hard you press the accelerator.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest1513

• Topic Starter
Re: CVT
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:52:31 PM »
We had a Jazz iDSI for several years, and I tried to convince the other side that a CVT would be handy. Would avoid random gear changes:) However she noted that driving up Birdy Brow (towards Clitheroe end of Longridge Fell) the revs were a bit painful. I didn't think to use the pseudo-gear setting (damn!) so lost that argument. However, I think it would still be possible, in the new edition, to hold a suitable "gear" to keep the revs where you want.  Is that so?

Tags:

anything