Author Topic: Motorway Toll Gizmos  (Read 1770 times)

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
Motorway Toll Gizmos
« on: November 01, 2022, 04:20:32 PM »
I have just ordered an EX. On my previous HR-V I was able to mount a Bip&Go toll gizmo on the black dots around the top of the windscreen (which is what is recommended on an athermic windscreen.  I notice there is no such dotted area on the new Jazz.  Have any of you used the gizmo in France and if so where did you mount it? A mechanic in my local dealer said just fit it at top of screen but I'm not convinced he knows that works or is just ***********.  Hopefully someone on here has experience.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
Re: Motorway Toll Gizmos
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 06:03:23 PM »
Sorry no. But used Starling card linked to euro acct. So bills as euro, and saves carrying cash and notes which to me was the main pain point

Honda windscreen doesn't seem to have the metallic tint like older french cars that block gps signal so would expect it would be fine

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 07:19:01 PM »
It probably suggests siting it there so it does not interfere with the driver's vision. Siting it as close behind the mirror would probably be the same.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 07:42:33 AM »
I would think  a UK mechanic would just be guessing.   
There may be more guidance on the Bip&go web site.   Problem is they may suggest to the right of the mirror, which isnt ideal for a right hand drive car. But is this to maximise view in a LHD car, or is it necessary for reliable tag detection?   :-\

If no one posts  with actual experience of using one on a right hand drive EX in France,  you could try contacting Honda France, or a French Honda dealer ,  by E mail.  But of course even their experience and advice would be based on a  left hand drive car. 

I've never used a tag,  but the required positioning of the French Critaire sticker (and the German umwelt Zone one)  is not ideal for a rhd car.    And stick- on vignettes can be invalid if in the wrong location.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:00:11 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »
The Jazz doesn't have an athermic windscreen, plus, GPS dashcams work perfectly OK so my guess is that you will have no issues.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance 2023
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 10:45:36 AM »
I have a toll badge for the French toll roads. I have not attached it to the windscreen but manually hold it myself or my wife in front of the windscreen and that works fine. Never had any problems with it. I also keep it loose because then I can lend it to my children. In addition, I want to have as few visible things as possible stuck on the windscreen. (Google Translated)
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »
I have a toll badge for the French toll roads. I have not attached it to the windscreen but manually hold it myself or my wife in front of the windscreen and that works fine.
I've never had much success paying tolls by holding my wife in front of the windscreen . And she might  fall off.  ;D

Sorry, we know what you mean, Google translate  :P

Guinness 2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Having just returned from 3 weeks in France I can confirm that the Bip and Go gizmo does work. I placed it directly below the camera housing in the middle of the screen behind the rear-view mirror. 
Incidentally we travelled 1956 miles down to Provence and back and averaged 62.7mpg on the fibometer. Tried to keep to approx. 65mph on Autoroutes. Econ off automatic temp set at 23C. Temps were very high up to 40 degrees (although we had 2 days of the Mistral which halved those temps. Car was a joy to drive - comfortable and quiet (French road surfaces are to die for on the whole). The ability to change from mph to kph was easy and very useful (having a non digital display with km in very small writing on my old HRV was always a pain). Vision from RHD on LHD roads was great particularly with the overtaking warning signs on the wing mirror.  The only down side was the engine noise going up and down Mont Ventoux (1910 meters high). Reasons for it have been explained elsewhere on this forum but it is a bit disconcerting!  I just turned up the music volume and admired the incredible views.
Was by far the most enjoyable drive to Provence we have done (and we have done many).  Get onto Autoroute, set ACC, choose appropriate music playlist, relax and watch the world go by - love it.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 01:44:21 PM »
Having just returned from 3 weeks in France I can confirm that the Bip and Go gizmo does work. I placed it directly below the camera housing in the middle of the screen behind the rear-view mirror. 
Incidentally we travelled 1956 miles down to Provence and back and averaged 62.7mpg on the fibometer. Tried to keep to approx. 65mph on Autoroutes. Econ off automatic temp set at 23C. Temps were very high up to 40 degrees (although we had 2 days of the Mistral which halved those temps. Car was a joy to drive - comfortable and quiet (French road surfaces are to die for on the whole). The ability to change from mph to kph was easy and very useful (having a non digital display with km in very small writing on my old HRV was always a pain). Vision from RHD on LHD roads was great particularly with the overtaking warning signs on the wing mirror.  The only down side was the engine noise going up and down Mont Ventoux (1910 meters high). Reasons for it have been explained elsewhere on this forum but it is a bit disconcerting!  I just turned up the music volume and admired the incredible views.
Was by far the most enjoyable drive to Provence we have done (and we have done many).  Get onto Autoroute, set ACC, choose appropriate music playlist, relax and watch the world go by - love it.

Just before Lord Voltermore spots this post, and brings you to heel, telling you that you are the only person (in the world) to have a Jazz MK4 wing mirror; we know what you mean!

Happy motoring to all.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »

Just before Lord Voltermore spots this post, and brings you to heel, telling you that you are the only person (in the world) to have a Jazz MK4 wing mirror; we know what you mean!

Happy motoring to all.
I missed that one. :P  Another' War and Peace'  that will never get written.   :-[

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »
I have a blip and go thingy for French Toll routes on my Merc. Pre covid we went to the Loire valley and sensibly I thought, I positioned the transponder on the windscreen on left of the rear view mirror. Wrong , as each time we came to a toll booth I had to remove it and manually hold it on the right hand side, to get it to work.
We are going to Bordeaux in October, so I have now repositioned same, on the right hand side, so we shall see if it now automatically works as it should.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 07:03:17 PM »
I'm a frequent traveller to Provence and found paying by credit card quite comfortable. The "white" card queues are shorter and moving faster than the "green" all-payments ones especially since payment can be effected by RFID (no more inserting the card necessary).
More over, there are smaller automatic exits without personal where only cards are accepted.
As some "gizmos" involve an annual/monthly fee it didn't seem worth the trouble to me (so far).

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 11:01:10 PM »
You are right that there is an annual/monthly service fee, and once you are committed, you are stuck with it.
If I had my time again I doubt I would subscribe, but that is with hindsight, because pre covid my plan was to extensively travel Europe ( which I still want to do). I guess only time will tell, but would probably rather be in your situation.

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance 2023
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 10:24:58 AM »
We regularly drive through France. Until now, me or my wife hold the badge against the windshield. But more and more cameras are being installed above the toll roads and the toll gates are being abolished. So paying with cards, etc., will no longer be possible. So I have now glued the badge holder to the windshield. I insert the badge when I drive on the toll roads. The badge can also be used in Portugal, Spain and Italy. https://www.fulli.com/en?state=trFlRLq-wHJN1cfbDgM4VJhyqSA-Lw3amIRBNuhReCc
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Tags: