Author Topic: Cold temp mpg  (Read 6525 times)

richardfrost

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1446
  • Country: england
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Cold temp mpg
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
but I think it is only to direct air
Seems most likely. Nearly all cars with air con have this feature these days. I think Ford have a patent on the heated windscreen. Unlike Volvo, who developed the 3 point seat belt as a safety feature and promptly gave away the rights to the patent, Ford probably see this as a convenience feature and use it as a marketing point.

John Ratsey

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2833
  • Country: gb
Re: Cold temp mpg
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
I suspect, as in my previous comment, it will all be left to the engine as this is the simplest solution.
It's a simple solution when the engine is hot but if that means that the engine keeps running only to provide hot air for the windscreen then there will be a load of disgruntled owners as they see the mpg plummet. Honda have spent money addressing other details so why not this one? What I do know is that the previous generation of Jazz / HR-V was very good, albeit noisy, at demisting the windscreen even when the engine was cold so, I hope, Honda has figured out an effective way of demisting the windsceen that's compatible with the way the hybrid system operates. I just had thought of going out, start the car, press the demist button and see if hot air is blown out. However, that might have been a fair test a few hours ago, but it's now 14C warmer outside.
Previously 2025 Jazz Advance, previously 2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Muldoon

  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 70
  • Country: gb
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
Re: Cold temp mpg
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »
but I think it is only to direct air
Seems most likely. Nearly all cars with air con have this feature these days. I think Ford have a patent on the heated windscreen. Unlike Volvo, who developed the 3 point seat belt as a safety feature and promptly gave away the rights to the patent, Ford probably see this as a convenience feature and use it as a marketing point.

Yes I think the patent may be open access? Vauxhall have been fitting them for years to Astra and Corsa, also MINI plus a few more. I would have thought it ideal for the Jazz.

JazzMusic

  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • *
  • Posts: 87
  • Country: ch
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
Re: Cold temp mpg
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
One additional note on the seat heating feature. 3 bars is pretty hot. You might start with it but 1 bar is perfect. As soon as the heat is stored between the back and the seat it's not needed anymore.
I know I'll love the steering wheel heater during winter. :) Really nice feature.

Tags:
 

anything
Back to top