Author Topic: Getting used to 6 speed gearshift  (Read 7841 times)

SamJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Getting used to 6 speed gearshift
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
I have ordered a new Jazz which will replace my 2011 Jazz.

How easy have people found using the new six gears that come with the new Jazz compared to the five that were on the Generation 2 Jazz.  Was it easy to get used to. Also is the gear shift as nice to use, it's a feature of the 5 gear 2011 I really liked.

I was surprised to see that the new Jazz Manual version has six gears.
Thanks.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Getting used to 6 speed gearshift
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
Works really well on my CVT. :-) :-))

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »
Thanks, I've ordered a Manual, wondering if getting used to the 6 gears will be easy. Any observations of those that have also moved from using the previous five gear manual jazz would be interesting.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
Hi Sam - not sure how relevant my experience is but I moved from a 5 speed (a VW Golf) to a 6 speed (Honda Civic) then back to 5 speed (former and current Jazzes).

The move from 5 to 6 was OK at first as I was still using my Civic on regular motorway journeys (about 3 times a month). Circumstances changed and we moved back closer to our children and grandchildren and our driving became, as it still is, mostly local town work with only occasional journeys of any distance. It's only my experience but I found the 6th speed almost useless. Yes the car would cruise at not much above 35 mph in 6th but it was just another gear change.

So I am quite happy with the 5 speed Jazz but I can see that 6th might be handy for those doing some motorway work. It will make for a slightly more relaxed cruise at 70 for example. I can see why Honda have done this but I prefer a 5 speed box for my style of driving.

robark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3SE Tinted Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:50:29 AM »
The third generation jazz has a fairly close ratio gearbox with top gear pulling only 22.2 mph/1000rpm, which is only slightly higher than the second generation 5th gear. I would have preferred to have a much higher top gear with say 25mph/1000rpm (or even a bit more) for quiet, level motorway cruising, with a bit more fuel economy as a bonus.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
My CVT Mk 3 was running at 2500 rpm at 75 mph (on speedometer - actual will be slightly lower) on the motorway last week. This represents almost 30 mph / 1000 rpm and is consistent with my previous observation of just over 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Wind noise was more noticeable than engine noise.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ricardo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
I find I keep forgetting the 6th gear! I've not done much distance stuff yet, but I notice the 6th gear drops the rpm by around 500.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:03:52 PM »
My CVT Mk 3 was running at 2500 rpm at 75 mph (on speedometer - actual will be slightly lower) on the motorway last week. This represents almost 30 mph / 1000 rpm and is consistent with my previous observation of just over 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Wind noise was more noticeable than engine noise.

That's outstanding. You'd expect 3500 from a manual. You can see why the automatic is now the economy option - a complete change from the not too distant past.

SamJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »
It will be interesting moving from a five gear manual to a six gear manual. I see a lot of the modern cars have this feature now. I did like the gear shift on my generation two Jazz it was nice and precise. I'm expecting the same qualities from my new 3rd generation Jazz when I get it during the next week.

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »
I have had my mk3 with six gear manual shift for five months now.
I still find the gearbox difficult to get my head round.
Loved everything about my Mk2 which had 5 gears.
The six gear box has the gears much closer together and I'm told that I should move quickly between the gears when accelerating .
Have only used sixth gear on the motorway a couple of times.
I often find myself driving along wondering which gear I am in.
I'm sure I will come to terms with the advantages of a six speed box but as most of my motoring is done around town it just seems to involve another extra gearshift.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
I had a six speed box on my CR-V so I'm used to having the gears.  I find the Jazz more precise and a good little gearbox.

With regard to forgetting to change into sixth, the change up / change down indicators make this impossible.  But having come from a 2.2 diesel I am finding myself having to shift down a lot on even the slightest of inclines.  And as per my last car, I do find myself going straight from fourth to sixth and visa versa.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:41:59 PM by ColinS »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »
I have had my mk3 with six gear manual shift for five months now.
I still find the gearbox difficult to get my head round.
Loved everything about my Mk2 which had 5 gears.
The six gear box has the gears much closer together and I'm told that I should move quickly between the gears when accelerating .
Have only used sixth gear on the motorway a couple of times.
I often find myself driving along wondering which gear I am in.
I'm sure I will come to terms with the advantages of a six speed box but as most of my motoring is done around town it just seems to involve another extra gearshift.

if you ever have to drive a 5 speed MK1 or 2 then the problem is that where 6th is now you will find reverse Ouchhhh - have this problem when moving between Civic and my wifes MK2 -
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything