Author Topic: Space Saver AND dual height trunk?  (Read 6324 times)

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
Space Saver AND dual height trunk?
« on: September 21, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
We weren't comfortable with no spare so paid for a space saver to be installed. Unfortunately that has done away with the multifold floor panel, although we have all the pieces so we can put it back to stock.

It does look to me as if you could have both the s/s spare and the multifold floor though.

Has anyone tried this and can confirm it's OK please?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:44:10 PM by Top Down »

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Space Saver AND dual height trunk?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Can I ask how much you paid for the spare wheel and well "kit"?

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
Probably too much but £150 fitted.

Geoffers

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
You say that you have all the necessary so why not just try it!

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
I think I will, tomorrow.

I've taken off the locking wheel nuts, garage advertising from the back window, replaced their tax disk holder with a plain one and tightened up the number plates, which have...garage advertising on. I think the plates are discrete enough, so they can stay  :)

I've also relocated the tool kit, which was sliding around under the boot floor and I'll be taking out the puncture repair goop and putting a first aid kit in its place, if I can find a suitably sized item.

It's feeling more like ours already  :)

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Space Saver AND dual height trunk? A qualified yes.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
Tried this and there are several options.

The spacesaver conversion replaces the floor with the netting with a flat hinged panel, beneath which is a new tray that covers the spare, gives support to the new flat floor panel and provides some limited storage.

First I tried the multifold netted floor over the top of the new one. It fits and works in so far as it will give you the second tier netted storage but a flat floor underneath, which is above the new spare wheel. However, to fasten it in place you would need to cut two approx. 25mm squares out of the new flat floor to allow the rearmost latches to clip into place in the locator's in the floor pan.

Next I removed the new flat floor and just replaced the original multifold, which could then clip in place. This give you the raised net storage as above and allows access to the top of the new tray above the spare wheel. I've put the first aid kit in there and the relocated 'tool kit'. So, you do recover a little of the lost storage. You could probably put a groundsheet in there and a few other bits and bobs. This does mean the floor beneath the raised net is not flat though.

To try and move the multifold floor to its rearmost raised position you would have to butcher the new tray and I'm not prepared to try that.

At the moment then, I have the multifold floor over the new (shallow) tray so I have a bit extra storage and the option to have the raised net store above other luggage, albeit this luggage will rest on the new expanded rigid foam floor.

I've removed the 'mobility' spare tyre stuff from its place in the right hand rear boot wall and put a 'wet weather' drivers side car seat cover in there. I may get another for the passenger side, or look for a SLIGHTLY smaller first aid kit as the ex-BMW one I have is just a little too big to fit.

Hope that helps those with insatiable curiosity or enquiring minds?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:37:43 AM by Top Down »

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
Probably too much but £150 fitted.

Is that for a 15" or 16" ?

Dont suppose you have an invoice with the product code?

Thanks

Gary

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
It was for the 16". The 15" is a bit cheaper. Funnily enough the wheel spec and ref. nos. are the same but the kit that goes with it is different.

I'll see if I can find a product code for you.

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »
Here you go  -  Honda Part No. 06421-TF0-E01

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:36:54 AM »
..and for the 15" spacesaver  -  Honda Part No. 06421-TF0-E00

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »
I do not understand all the fuss about the replacement of the original boot floor to accommodate a full size spare wheel.Have recently fitted my October 2008 EX with a full size 16" alloy wheel{from a Breakers Yard } with a 185/55 R16 tyre and it fits perfectly into the wheel well secured by the 79mm  bolt and the two sided{full size and space saver} washer.The original floor lies flat and the wheel well accommodates tools etc. Perfect job!

Tags:

anything