Author Topic: Mk5 Jazz will be a mini SUV (similar to the Yaris Cross)  (Read 4232 times)

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: Mk5 Jazz will be a mini SUV (similar to the Yaris Cross)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 07:05:36 PM »
Having moved allegiance from Renault, previously owning 12 in the last 25 years (the last 6 all brand new, the other 6 never more than 2 years old) I can only give the reason we decided to switch, which was Renault were building cars that outwardly got bigger with each generation. The car which I have now, and the trade in for my new Jazz is a Clio (TCE100 which is a 3 pot 900cc). Before the Clio we had 3 Capturs. We downsized the last Captur because the latest version got bigger. We looked at the way cars were getting bigger, but never really benefitted internally. I never had any issues or problems with any Renault we owned. Mechanically sound, economical and cheap to run and service. Ultimately, this time we looked at a small, reliable, technically advanced motor... but something that would give us a versatile internal space. We do a lot of cycling, camping, outdoors type things and we're also aware of the ecological impact bigger cars are having.
I honestly believe that the SUV (pointless) bubble will eventually burst, and smaller cars will once again become fashionable. The Jazz may not be the most attractive package on the outside, but its certainly got a lot more advantages than larger cars.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2022, 01:20:13 AM »
Unfortunately in the UK, the Jazz is seen as a car for "older drivers"! So Polo, Fiesta and Corsa takes all the sales from "younger drivers". Then financially, the Yaris has been offering 0% APR until recently but Jazz can only do 5% or something like that. And then there's the issue of availability -My friend wanted to purchase a Crosstar back in March and was told it wasn't available at all but Yaris Cross was available for end of September! Had the Jazz been made in Swindon, may be they would have shifted a few more units. I guess Honda can see the SUV market growing so aren't really concerned about the supermini sector anymore.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 10:34:59 AM »
The one thing that strikes me about the modern mass motor 'car' industry is their lack of originality. They seem hell bent on being followers of fashion to the extent they increasingly morph into one. I think a lot of it is to do with the bottom line and staying in business where risk of failure is a major consideration. For me, the current trend in fussy body lines and styling and an obsession with virtual technology in and out of the cabin all point to an industry that has run out of ideas. Looking back over the years, there are standout models which set the pace and trends, be it the Mini, the Golf or indeed the Jazz. I want a car to be reliable, reasonably engaging to drive with a design that looks half decent and practicality to match. It's not rocket science. I drove a Renault Cactus a couple of years ago (hire car) and it was awful. Full of gadgets and it felt like driving a motorised armchair with no engagement on the road. From time to time, I run my eye over the motorbike industry as an ex bike owner. The Honda CB500 range has been a huge success and continues to sell. Why? Value for money, simplicity, rock solid reliability using largely conventional technology such as cable throttles (remember them), outstanding fuel economy 80-85 MPG, superb and predictable handling, and quick enough to get a move on if necessary. This is a formula for success and Honda are smart enough to recognise that in this case.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 10:38:30 AM by MartinJG »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
The one thing that strikes me about the modern mass motor 'car' industry is their lack of originality. They seem hell bent on being followers of fashion to the extent they increasingly morph into one. I think a lot of it is to do with the bottom line and staying in business where risk of failure is a major consideration. For me, the current trend in fussy body lines and styling and an obsession with virtual technology in and out of the cabin all point to an industry that has run out of ideas. Looking back over the years, there are standout models which set the pace and trends, be it the Mini, the Golf or indeed the Jazz. I want a car to be reliable, reasonably engaging to drive with a design that looks half decent and practicality to match. It's not rocket science. I drove a Renault Cactus a couple of years ago (hire car) and it was awful. Full of gadgets and it felt like driving a motorised armchair with no engagement on the road. From time to time, I run my eye over the motorbike industry as an ex bike owner. The Honda CB500 range has been a huge success and continues to sell. Why? Value for money, simplicity, rock solid reliability using largely conventional technology such as cable throttles (remember them), outstanding fuel economy 80-85 MPG, superb and predictable handling, and quick enough to get a move on if necessary. This is a formula for success and Honda are smart enough to recognise that in this case.

Yes, agreed. As an ex biker I agree about the Honda too (although I am a staunch Triumph man). I have just turned 60, but in no way do I class my self as a conventional 'oldie' 60 year old. I bought the Jazz because it offered a high level of practicality.

Incidentally, the Cactus is Citroen.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 03:11:35 PM »
Unfortunately in the UK, the Jazz is seen as a car for "older drivers"! So Polo, Fiesta and Corsa takes all the sales from "younger drivers".
It's quite obvious to me that the 'younger drivers' have never experienced/tried the Jazz, particularly the Mk4.
I have no doubt that the Mk4 Jazz will 'see off' any Polo, Fiesta or Corsa, with it's superior EV power plus a 1500cc engine. ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 03:15:35 PM by Kenneve »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2022, 07:42:14 PM »
Unfortunately in the UK, the Jazz is seen as a car for "older drivers"! So Polo, Fiesta and Corsa takes all the sales from "younger drivers".
It's quite obvious to me that the 'younger drivers' have never experienced/tried the Jazz, particularly the Mk4.
I have no doubt that the Mk4 Jazz will 'see off' any Polo, Fiesta or Corsa, with it's superior EV power plus a 1500cc engine. ;D

For a start, reliability will beat the three any time...but unfortunately when the Jazz is tested by motor journalist, they never like it. Anyway lets hope Honda wouldn't stop making them in the near future. P s. I got to say though I was disappointed they didn't make a Jazz EV for the mk4...I would definitely have brought one instead of ordering a Mokka E.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2022, 07:46:56 PM »

Yes, agreed. As an ex biker I agree about the Honda too (although I am a staunch Triumph man). I have just turned 60, but in no way do I class my self as a conventional 'oldie' 60 year old. I bought the Jazz because it offered a high level of practicality.

Yes, you are quite right about the Cactus being Citroen. I knew it was French but I was on a bit of a roll. Are you ever tempted back into the saddle?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »
I had 3 Citroen Xantias but I would never buy French again, for political reasons.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2022, 10:13:06 AM »

If nothing goes right, go left!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2022, 03:20:07 PM »

Yes, you are quite right about the Cactus being Citroen. I knew it was French but I was on a bit of a roll. Are you ever tempted back into the saddle?

No, but it doesn't mean I don't miss it. I watched a few mates get killed though no fault of their own, watched the roads get more dangerous and the level of driving standards fall. However, it was a couple of medical issues that finally got me off the bike. My neck has a few problems, so wearing a helmet AND the possibility of getting knocked off damaging my neck further... coupled with the fact that my hip was becoming problematic, so kicking off a Triumph was getting harder each time. Funnily, its the building/restoration of a bike that I miss more than the riding.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »

No, but it doesn't mean I don't miss it. I watched a few mates get killed though no fault of their own, watched the roads get more dangerous and the level of driving standards fall. However, it was a couple of medical issues that finally got me off the bike. My neck has a few problems, so wearing a helmet AND the possibility of getting knocked off damaging my neck further... coupled with the fact that my hip was becoming problematic, so kicking off a Triumph was getting harder each time. Funnily, its the building/restoration of a bike that I miss more than the riding.

Yep. Memories can play tricks. Stiff and ageing joints can play hell :). Totally agree on the roads today. Bad enough having to think for other road users from the relative safety of four wheels.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 12:52:15 PM »
Before I bought the E I looked at the Zoe which had probbaly the best range at the time in terms of value. It was cheap on the inside and not very nice to drive, the E is a totally different class if you can put up with the range as a shopping car and have charging at home. The Zoe also has a terrible reliability record which reviewers rarely mention.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »
I had 3 Citroen Xantias but I would never buy French again, for political reasons.

Why so?  Have you been reading the Daily Mail by any chance?

Tags:

anything