Author Topic: Dash cam installation queries  (Read 1351 times)

Jebbediah4

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK2 EXL
Dash cam installation queries
« on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:38 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking to hardwire a front + rear dashcam, and have some experience of installing them on a couple of cars, but not on a Jazz. I tried searching but am not 100% clear on this because some of the info I've found is for the MK3 which isn't relevant to me as I want to install on an MK2.

On the MK2 Jazz do you need to remove the A pillar and rout wires behind the airbag? Or is this not a problem on the MK2 and I can just tuck the wires behind the top of the A pillar casing? Some youtube vids I've looked at suggest there's an airbag there that you have to wire around or behind to avoid interference, but they look like MK3 cars to me.

Also does anyone have recommended fuses for constant-on and ignition?

And finally, is there a recommended earth point/bolt near the fusebox?

Thanks

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dash cam installation queries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 05:36:11 AM »
I've always found it easier to route the cable up the A pillar by removing and replacing some of the door surround rubber. There's always a channel there right up to the top.

From there I always find a hidden route to under the headlining.

Do not just poke the wire under the edge of the A pillar airbag cover.

Regarding fusebox wiring I have no experience of earlier Jazz models but I've always sourced and used what Honda call the 'Option Connector'. They are difficult to obtain as they only seem to be available from Japan Amazon and the like. But, they are well worth sourcing as the option connector port provides smooth power that is unaffected by cranking the starter.

My Civic 9G Option Connector :

My Jazz Mk4 Option Connector :

2 wires on both, red, one is wired to IGN position 1 for SatNav, second is IGN position 2 for dashcam.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:51:02 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »
Hard-wiring cameras into the car is something I looked into in recent years.   I contacted Direct Line, my (then) insurers who told me that even if they were fitted by a professional auto electrician, they would load my premium as I had modified the vehicle.   My current insurers, Admiral, told me the same.

The end result is that I have forward and rear facing cameras powered by the 12v socket, but not hard-wired.   Cameras can be a double edged sword as they can provide good evidence of wrongdoing by other road users, but should you be the wrongdoer in any way, could serve to provide evidence against you.

If you have cameras hard-wired in and declare the modification to your insurers, they are likely to want footage of an incident you report to them.   You can hardly deny having the cameras fitted!   If you have the cameras hard-wired and don't declare the modification to your insurer, a future claim could be affected because you haven't declared the electrical modification.   With my set up, in the unlikely event that I do something wrong, I can whip out both cameras very quickly, clean the suction marks off the windows and the cameras were never there.

Having said that, my preference would be to have permanent cameras in my car, but until an insurer gives me the nod that they won't load a premium against me for having them fitted, I'll continue with my ad-hoc set up.   Some people may say that it's such a trivial thing that insurers would ignore such a permanent installation.   I'd rather not take the chance on that.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »
LV have a dashcam fitted tick box.

How do insurers deal with the 'Honda Drive Recorder' that is hardwired by the dealer ?

I just don't understand this dashcam hardwire issue and I believe it's inexperienced call centre staff, as does my broker friend after he queried it with a few insurers he regularly deals with.
Let's be careful out there !

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
I've read on other sites that this issue sometimes develops into an internet argument about "insurers don't know what they're talking about" or "they can't load a premium for something so trivial".   At the end of the day, that's why it's the responsibility of the insured to check with their own insurer whether any modification to the vehicle is one the insurers are concerned about.

The question of the Honda Drive Recorder is an easy one to guess an answer to - if it's standard equipment on a vehicle you've purchased from a dealer, you as the driver/owner haven't modified the vehicle.   In writing that, I'm not pretending to be an expert in any way though!

I'm all in favour of cameras.   Some people like my method of installation, and some don't.

To the OP - please let us know how you get on, and good luck with the fitment.   

Tags: