Author Topic: Built in SatNav traffic  (Read 1273 times)

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
Built in SatNav traffic
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
Hi.

I just saw a YouTube video where a Swiss Jazz 2022 owner has the traffic option available in the built in SatNav. He says it only works when his phone is connected otherwise the icon is greyed out.

Has anyone else got this? Perhaps it's country specific or it's an additional subscription with Garmin perhaps?

Thanks!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Built in SatNav traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 04:25:37 PM »
On my uk car  I got traffic alerts /information on the Garmin while I was in Germany.  I dont think I got it in other EU countries, but maybe there had been nothing to report.     I dont get it in the UK.

I think the problem is Honda will not pay to receive it in the uk, although I am not sure exacty how its provided or by whom.  (Never had it before now) 

My car is under  1 year old, so it might be 1st year free, and I might need to pay if I want to continue. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 04:41:48 PM »
The only traffic service Honda used to subscribe to was TMC RDS (Trafficmaster)

Trafficmaster only have sensors on motorways and major A roads.

The other issue with RDS is that it is very slow from jam to SatNav. The data goes from roadside sensor to TMC HQ, it is then recoded and sent out to participating radio stations who do their bit before transmission via their station airwave. As a result the data can be 15 to 30 minutes late, and useless in my experience.

I used to travel the western section of the M25, clockwise, daily. Junctions 11 to 15. I had the built in Civic TMC RDS and I had the Garmin Inrix traffic on various Garmin standalone SatNavs.

RDS would tell me the tail of the traffic was J14 or 15. Inrix would tell me the tail was junction 12, almost a 10 mile difference. Inrix was always right and if I'd followed RDS I'd be sat in a jam daily.

I'm not surprised Honda decided not to pay for a substandard service.

Let's be careful out there !

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:15 PM »
On my uk car  I got traffic alerts /information on the Garmin while I was in Germany.  I dont think I got it in other EU countries, but maybe there had been nothing to report.     I dont get it in the UK.

I think the problem is Honda will not pay to receive it in the uk, although I am not sure exacty how its provided or by whom.  (Never had it before now) 

My car is under  1 year old, so it might be 1st year free, and I might need to pay if I want to continue.

Hello,
can you tell me which video i am curious to see?
Thank you

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
You have quoted my post, but it was not me  who saw the swiss video.

But It may help some  who ,like me, have no experience of road alerts , if I give more detail of what the satnav  was able to do in Germany.

1)  I got a visual and voice alert   of a hazard/crash  about  8 km ahead, and warned there where pedestrians on the  motorway.   It told me the tailback was 1km   but I was still on the fastest route and didnt need to be diverted.    The road had cleared before I got there.

2)  another time it warned there were animals on the motorway   20 km ahead.  It showed a cow sign.
I did see one small deer eating grass  about 50 metres from the road, that might have been on the wrong side of the deer fence, so could potentially have been a danger.  But  this is a perpetual possibility.  I had been expecting something unusual such as cows, sheep,horses etc. .

3) It did warn of the motorway closed ahead and scheduled in a diversion.  I think it was a pre planned weekend closure, but the diversion, along country roads  did not have diversion signs.  It was reassuring to have the route  highlighted.

4)  there were a few other warnings of 'hazardous driving conditions', and delays ahead, but did not offer any alternative. There probably wasnt one.    One of these vague warnings did  actually develop into  quite a long delay ,but it offered no alternative  possibly because  it was on the border of Germany and Austria .I worked a diversion out for my self.

5)  Roadworks /contraflows  and  road closures  were often clearly highlighted  on the map with  bold red and white stripes. (but no actual alert.)  Not seen that in the UK but maybe I dont get about enough .

Overall I found  there were quite a few vague warnings  of  hazards and delays ,,and I had to decide for myself whether say a 1km tailback ,which might never materialise,  or might now be longer  ,was worth diverting for. In the end I started ignoring many of them, assuming anything major would trigger an automatic re route. 

I dont think I would pay a subscription to continue receiving them.   I'd rather spend the money on mobile  data for an alternative. 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 10:54:59 AM »
We have experienced the same in Germany. Warnings were issued for traffic jams near Berlin and Magdeburg and also for road works. However, we did not see any crossing cows.
No warnings were seen in the Netherlands, possibly because there were no situations that could lead to a warning.
Obviously it doesn't work here in Poland.
If nothing goes right, go left!

mitchelln

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
I'd quite happily pay for a Garmin subscription and use my phone connection for the data. Our stand alone Garmin unit's traffic is fairly accurate and will navigate you round serious delays pretty successfully (when you trust it ;))

Just seems a bit of an odd omission to me for the built in Satnav not to have it as a direct Garmin subscription feature. Not the end of the world though of course, just a little disappointing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
From what I've read both the new HRV and new Civic have 'Internet Traffic' via a connected smartphone.

I don't know if it works in the UK but it's covered in both owner manuals.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
From what I've read both the new HRV and new Civic have 'Internet Traffic' via a connected smartphone.

I don't know if it works in the UK but it's covered in both owner manuals.

So would the smartphone continue to use up its data allowance?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
My phone connects to my Garmin standalone via Garmin Smartlink. It also connects to Speedtrap Alert and is running Google Maps via Android Auto, so quite a lot going on.

Currently I have 3.58Gb remaining of my 4Gb monthly allowance with 9 days to go so I don't think it uses very much.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:12:00 PM by Kremmen »

Wonder

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
You have quoted my post, but it was not me  who saw the swiss video.

Hello,
sorry you're right I was wrong to click,
now I will ask the question to the right person :)

Wonder

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »
Hi.

I just saw a YouTube video where a Swiss Jazz 2022 owner has the traffic option available in the built in SatNav. He says it only works when his phone is connected otherwise the icon is greyed out.

Has anyone else got this? Perhaps it's country specific or it's an additional subscription with Garmin perhaps?

Thanks!

Hello,
can you tell me which video i am curious to see?
Thank you

Tags:

anything