Author Topic: Honda Jazz Power steering woes (Torque Sensor?)  (Read 3662 times)

ianhandley2000

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 Petrol
Honda Jazz Power steering woes (Torque Sensor?)
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
Good afternoon everyone, New member here and I am afraid i come with a problem  :(

My EPS light has come on and my Electric power steering no longer seems to be working i have six error codes (see attachment) that will not clear are there any guru's here who can advise me what to change or check?

My suspicion is that its the Torque Sensor that is the root cause and the others are just spurious faults but I would like a way to validate that is the case before going to the expense of having it replaced.

Cheers

Ian

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda Jazz Power steering woes (Torque Sensor?)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
Good afternoon everyone, New member here and I am afraid i come with a problem  :(

My EPS light has come on and my Electric power steering no longer seems to be working i have six error codes (see attachment) that will not clear are there any guru's here who can advise me what to change or check?

My suspicion is that its the Torque Sensor that is the root cause and the others are just spurious faults but I would like a way to validate that is the case before going to the expense of having it replaced.

Cheers

Ian

AFAIK there is no history of sensors failing on Honda EPS,  there have been mechanical problems causing 'sticky' steering,  but without generating alarm messages on the system. The MK1 Honda EPS can also be a bit 'vague' around centre position and lack strong self-centering action. The MK1 Jazz was early in the EPS development and can also feel a bit heavy,  they upped the motor rating in later models to give more assistance, but this came at the price of drawing more power.

How old is your battery,  other people on here have been hit by EPS 'faults' and cured them by replacing an aging battery.  EPS can draw up to 60 amps from battery and an older or poor battery may struggle, this means the system voltage drops which can cause all sorts of mischief in the cars sensors and general electrical system.

If you do not know when battery was replaced or it has been allowed to go fully flat, and in any case if it is over 4 years old get one of these - the same battery will cost you double this price at Halfrauds.... May well be the cheapest 'fix' you could ever want.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:18:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI

ianhandley2000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 Petrol
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
Thank you! that will give me something to do over the bank holiday  :)

Jazzman79

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Hons Jazz 1.4se 2005
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »
Did you find the fault with your EPS ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:15:32 PM »
The OP has never been back since his second post. Doubt he still follows the forum.

CRC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:12 PM »
Found this really good video on Youtube which dissects an electrical power steering system on a Honda.

Very informative .... I had no idea how they worked.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 02:16:07 PM »
Found this really good video on Youtube which dissects an electrical power steering system on a Honda.

Very informative .... I had no idea how they worked.

Interesting video, bear in mind that the Jazz EPS motor is mounted to the column, so all the motor and the mechanical linkage to the rack is very different. The principle of operation is surprisingly similar to the hydraulic system, but you have a torque sensor, and electronics to interpret the signals from it, instead of the torsion bar operating a hydraulic valve.

Everybody needs an angle grinder and a toothbrush in their toolbox  ;)

CRC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »
Yes, you're right.

Had a look at some close up photos from a second hand unit available on E-Bay, and it does look as if the motor drives tangentially to the steering column, possible with a worm and wheel type engagement thus increasing the turning effect of the steering column itself, rather than on the rack.

Interesting to know how the system senses the input torque from the driver on the steering column, and presumably it's speed sensitive so that there is little help at high speed and a lot of help at low speed.

Is there a separate control unit on the Jazz power steering (as there is on the Honda in the video) do you know?

I really like that bloke's videos - fast and well informed - watched one where he took a scrap Subaru boxer engine apart and described it as he went - same tooth brush and and universal spanner (aka disc cutter :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 05:58:17 PM »
You've got it, that's exactly how the motor drive works.

Is there a separate control unit on the Jazz power steering (as there is on the Honda in the video) do you know?

Yes, the EPS ECU is separate, very much like the one in the video.

Tags:

anything