Author Topic: Little warning about non-functional stereos.  (Read 658 times)

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
Little warning about non-functional stereos.
« on: November 15, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
The stereo in my Jazz has been silent since I bought it.

Clock displays okay, turns on, LCD works as intended. Just no sound comes out.
All the symptoms of the known "voltage regulator" issue.

Just took the facia to bits, removed the stereo, stripped the stereo down and found.... the amplifier chip (least, I assume that's what it is) fixed to the rear of the stereo is totally borked.

I'd post up a pic' but it's not really worth it.
Suffice to say, it looks like water has got into the cabin at some point (there's some light rust on the dashboard reinforcements but nothing severe which might indicate an ongoing leakage problem), got into the stereo and severely corroded the amplifier chip.

Where it used to have 30-odd legs attaching it to the circuit-board, there was just a green, furry, mess.
Tried to give it a clean with a toothbrush and half the legs just crumbled away.  :(

Anyway, looks like I'll need a stereo off ebay.

Also, if anybody wants a free Voltage Regulator to fix their stereo, give me a shout cos I've got a shiny new one that I didn't get to use.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue, previously GD x 3
Re: Little warning about non-functional stereos.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
They are hardly worth stripping down, I purchased a replacement stereo for my defunct unit from eBay for £28 carriage paid and that also gave me free spare fascia, heater controls, HRW and AC switches and bulbs.

A1i.cu

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2006 1.4 sport
Re: Little warning about non-functional stereos.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »
Where it used to have 30-odd legs attaching it to the circuit-board, there was just a green, furry, mess.
Tried to give it a clean with a toothbrush and half the legs just crumbled away.  :

That’s a pity Si, but get one off eBay, as UKjim says, they are cheap.

Tags: