Author Topic: Syphon fuel from write off  (Read 3017 times)

Gazza01

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Syphon fuel from write off
« on: October 31, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
Hi all. Our excellent jazz with 33k and full service history has just been written off...gutted.
However, my wife had just filled up.
I want to at least get the fuel out, as simply as possible really. I was thinking of pulling up the sender and popping a pipe in to syphon with.
Any advice on how to and where it is. Thanks. 2010 1.4 es

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
Re: Syphon fuel from write off
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
Bummer!!

I hope no one was hurt?

Someone will be along shortly with words of wisdom to advise on getting the fuel out.

Last year I had my 2010 1.4 ES written off on the M6 but luckily I managed to source a replacement car within two weeks.

I hope you can another car sorted quickly.

Steve

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
It's inbetween the front seats, under the centre console. Not the easiest to get at.

I've run tanks out with the fuel pump before, extend the pipe under the bonnet and rig the pump to run. You can put it straight into another car.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
It's inbetween the front seats, under the centre console. Not the easiest to get at.

I've run tanks out with the fuel pump before, extend the pipe under the bonnet and rig the pump to run. You can put it straight into another car.

I suspect with the Jazz that is the only feasible (and safe) way. The fuel tank is far from thr filler so a LOT of tubing needed if using the suction method (and petrol tastes horrrrrrrrrrrrible)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
Advise caution with any petrol its the fumes that cause the destriuction damage, maybe just leave it

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
Advise caution with any petrol its the fumes that cause the destriuction damage, maybe just leave it

+1

guest9236

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
Fairly shortish tube and a very long one is required insert short tube and hold to prevent it disappearing into fuel tank, then insert the long tube into the fuel in tank you can check this by blowing into long tube and listen for the obvious, then seal the filler tube as tightly as possible to stop any air escaping around both tubes.
The other end of long tube is placed into a suitable large container placed as low down as possible, do not suck the short tube but BLOW down it to increase air pressure until petrol start to run keep your finger over end of SHORT TUBE and keep pressure up.
We have used this technique  on Tractors with great success,but I am sure there will be another expert to advise you a better way or advise that this is not going to work.
But it Is a tasteless way of shifting fuel including diesel and kerosene etc.
Good luck.
You could of course just put hole in base of Plastic fuel tank and let it drain straight into a Large container just a thought though never tried it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »
You could of course just put hole in base of Plastic fuel tank and let it drain straight into a Large container just a thought though never tried it.

That's what scrappers do, but I had this vision of someone with an electric drill being showered with petrol... best with a hand drill, and be prepared with suitable containers... a full tank is a fair bit of petrol.

The only problem with syphoning down the filler is that you rarely get most of the fuel out of a car tank. They make it difficult on purpose, with baffles and anti-syphon devices.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
I delivered parts to a scrappy's once, and they had a car up in the forklift, a plastic dustbin underneath it, and this guy from Deliverance went underneath with a welder's slag hammer. Several hard blows of the METAL tank and he had a couple of holes in the bottom of the tank, draining into the dustbin. HSE approved method, I believe.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
I delivered parts to a scrappy's once, and they had a car up in the forklift, a plastic dustbin underneath it, and this guy from Deliverance went underneath with a welder's slag hammer. Several hard blows of the METAL tank and he had a couple of holes in the bottom of the tank, draining into the dustbin. HSE approved method, I believe.

That's the way, smack a hole in the bottom!  8)

Few successful scrapyard lads have to buy fuel. ;)

Tags:

anything