Author Topic: Unwanted AVG antivirus programme.  (Read 1109 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Unwanted AVG antivirus programme.
« on: March 15, 2020, 07:23:32 PM »
I use CCCleaner on my computer and recently updated it. Unnoticed by me the update included a free download of AVG Antivirus. I do not need this as I am happy with Windows 10's built in antivirus programme  'Defender'.

The AVG programme will not uninstall. I have tried the obvious route using Control Panel but you get a message saying that this is not possible. I have tried going into Programme Files to delete the AVG files but again it will only go part way saying that you need Administrator permission.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Unwanted AVG antivirus programme.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »
Don't you have an password protected admin account on the PC ? Who set up the accounts ? Normally the first account you set up on a new PC gets admin privileges ( I always call it 'admin' ) - and never go online from the admin account unless it is unavoidable.  I use Norton antivirus and utilities ( which is sort of Microsoft ) and MalwareBytes  to keep PC's free of stuff, never trusted anything that comes with windows, in fact am in the process of changing operating system on my win10 PC to Linux Ubuntu,  which I have been using in a virtual box inside win10 for months now,  also deleted MSoffice ( they charge and annual licence fee now ) and been using Libre Office for about 18 months ( it will run under windows and deals with all their file formats and you can even save stuff as  windows format ) ,  and never missed the MS crap at all.

this may help,  but try Google yourself.
https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DeNKAA0

This link downloads an .exe file

http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/AVG_Remover.exe
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:55:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
AVG is a right pain in the arse when it decides it does not want to be uninstalled, or leaves bits behind.

You need to use one of the uninstall tools, AVG's own remover tool mentioned in Culzean's link usually does the trick.

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/avg-remover
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:42:44 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
I find Geek Uninstaller great for troublesome software (such as Avast browser).

https://geekuninstaller.com/

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
I uninstalled myself from Windows in 2008 and have been a (mostly) happy Mac user ever since. Nowadays, given the power and capability of iPads, I may not ever buy another laptop.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
IIRC  MacOS is based on Unix, as is the Android OS ( uses Linux kernel ) and Google search engine - pretty much every server in the country uses it ( anywhere you need a fast, scalable, stable and secure operating system - which windows never has been ).

Windows has a good part of the home computer market,  but that is slipping - and Microsoft moving over to Unix ....

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »
Go into settings and use System Restore to reset your computer to the state it was in before the installation of ccleaner/AVG.

guest8810

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
Go into settings and use System Restore to reset your computer to the state it was in before the installation of ccleaner/AVG.

A sensible answer to a sensible question, without any unnecessary useless info attached.
I agree this is the easiest way to proceed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
Unless system restore was not enabled...

https://www.techbout.com/system-restore-windows-10-computer-11974/

Glad I am out of all this windows / microsoft rubbish - win 7 was just about OK but win 10 is so intrusive and downright sneaky that you are really better off without it - and there are good alternatives out there. 

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I found an uninstall programme on the AVG website that got rid of the unwanted AVG Free.

Vic.

Tags:

anything