Author Topic: New Jazz Hybrid & buying a new car.  (Read 2540 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
New Jazz Hybrid & buying a new car.
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
It has been my practice over many years, to change my car at 3 years old and with the current car approaching that age, i thought it might be an idea to call in at my local dealer to see what's on offer.

I found I was in for a few surprises.

1. It seems my chosen spec. (EX CVT Milano red) is only available on 20 weeks delivery!! I thought that the days a waiting several months for any new car were long gone.
The nearest model they could offer for September delivery was the Nav version at £600 more.

2. The OTR price for the car, seems to have risen significantly over the past 3 years with the car, albeit the Nav version,  being quoted at over £19250.

3. I did some homework on P/x values, prior to visiting the dealers and was quoted prices, based on 27k miles and excellent condition, of between £8450 and £10630. Whilst I did not really expect to get £10k+,  I did expect to better the lower price.
However the dealer quote turned out to less than the lower price, leaving over £11k to find.

Which leads me on to the main subject of this post. Rumour has it that the New Jazz Hybrid will be revealed at the Tokyo motor show in October, with UK sales starting towards the end of the year.
Is it worth me delaying changing the car until that time? Will the running costs be significantly less?

I realise there will be one or two disadvantages, relating to boot space and additional weight due to the battery, but it seems that a hybrid car is the way to go, since it will years before battery technology reaches the point where the range gets anywhere near that of a petrol/diesel car.
I'm not interested in a pure electric car, if I can't visit my daughter in North Lincs, (a 250mile round trip) without recharging.
Can anyone give any specification details on the Hybrid, engine size etc?

One final thought, at 82 years old, why do I need a new car anyway? Its quite obvious that, judging by other posts on this forum, with a bit care and a following wind, my current vehicle will see me out!!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: New Jazz Hybrid & buying a new car.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
I think youv'e already answered your question - stick with the Jazz you have and enjoy driving it.
If you have spare £ then spend it on another pleasurable experience/holiday etc.
The Jazz hybrid is freely available in Japan today, plans to launch in EU UK will be announced shortly.
The UK dealerships have a nerve asking nearly £20k for a Jazz, let alone the part ex insult value.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
One final thought, at 82 years old, why do I need a new car anyway? Its quite obvious that, judging by other posts on this forum, with a bit care and a following wind, my current vehicle will see me out!!
I am 71, with a 2006 Mk1. And I hope it sees me out!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:49 PM »
I agree that full electric isn't likely to be the solution for those of us who want to make the occasional longer trips so hybrid is the next best thing if we want to help the planet.

I assume that this is one of your sources of info https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hybrid-honda-jazz-confirmed-2020. In the absence of firm information the best guess would be to assume that the hybrid system gives economy similar to that in the new CR-V. Honest John's real mpg site https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda/cr-v-2018 shows mpg similar to a diesel (but it's a very small dataset).

However, there doesn't appear to be any info about which petrol engine will be used. Perhaps the existing 1.3 litre in a full Atkinson cycle mode. The electric motor would provide the torque which the current engine lacks.

Given the uncertainties about what is round the corner I would be inclined to keep the existing vehicle. The recent refresh didn't add anything significant to justify a change at this time. Perhaps in a year's time look for an ex-demo hybrid Jazz? It might even have an updated and useful infotainment system or cleverer parking sensors which show how close you are to hitting something. On the other hand, it might not have a place for a spare wheel if that's a feature on your wish list.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:47:13 PM »
Wow, Jocko, when you are my age, your car will be 24 years old. Do you really think it will still be going strong? Again judging from other posts I guess that is indeed possible.

The replies so far seem to suggest that I either forget the idea of changing completely, or wait until the Hybrid is well established and maybe buy then, either new of ex demo. Right now I'm inclined to agree.
I concur with Olduser1's comment re, new cost and P/x values.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
Wow, Jocko, when you are my age, your car will be 24 years old. Do you really think it will still be going strong?
I don't think I will still be going strong! Or if I am, certainly not driving.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2020 CRV e-HEV EX
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Hi all,
We still have our2011 Jazz Hybrid (61k miles) and at this point in time there is nothing new out there to really replace it (plus the road tax is only £10pa!). Interestingly, the second hand values of these mk2 hybrids are holding up remarkably well with some of the later cars (2015) being worth more than a 9th Generation Civic of similar age.

Sadly, Honda have a lot of catching up to do with the competition......you only have to look at the new 2019 Corolla hybrids and the massive amount of technology that's built into them to realise the challenge.
The new CRV hybrid is a niche vehicle with mpg returns that are not particularly wonderful when compared to the SUV and other hybrid competition out there, plus at this point in the model's history they are very expensive to purchase and run (high road tax compared to 2014-->2017 hybrids and diesels for example).
The whole industry is in a state of change at the moment with Toyota and some other Asian companies leading the way.

As much as I love Honda (I also have a2014 Civic Tourer EX+...road tax £20) they are failing to deliver the cars, technology and running cost advantage required for UK customers to remain loyal to the marque and that is dissappointingly sad. :(
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
Hi all,
We still have our2011 Jazz Hybrid (61k miles) and at this point in time there is nothing new out there to really replace it (plus the road tax is only £10pa!). Interestingly, the second hand values of these mk2 hybrids are holding up remarkably well with some of the later cars (2015) being worth more than a 9th Generation Civic of similar age.

People obviously do not want all the tech and driver aids in newer models and who can blame them, also seems like no room now in wheel well for even a spacesaver - car makers are really losing the plot and need to get back to basics a bit,  the average age of Jazz buyers has to be over 50 and they probably don't want touchscreens but do want a spare wheel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
Hi all,

Sadly, Honda have a lot of catching up to do with the competition......you only have to look at the new 2019 Corolla hybrids and the massive amount of technology that's built into them to realise the challenge.
The new CRV hybrid is a niche vehicle with mpg returns that are not particularly wonderful when compared to the SUV and other hybrid competition out there, plus at this point in the model's history they are very expensive to purchase and run (high road tax compared to 2014-->2017 hybrids and diesels for example).
The whole industry is in a state of change at the moment with Toyota and some other Asian companies leading the way.

As much as I love Honda (I also have a2014 Civic Tourer EX+...road tax £20) they are failing to deliver the cars, technology and running cost advantage required for UK customers to remain loyal to the marque and that is dissappointingly sad. :(
The hybrid Jazz has an excellent reputation for reliability. One forum member took his first one beyond 1/4 million miles before something serious died (so he then bought another).

As I noted earlier, Honest John's real mpg site https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda/cr-v-2018 shows that the hybrid CR-V users are, unusually, getting better mpg than the official test results. That vehicle uses the Honda i-MMD hybrid system (see https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/hybrid.html and dispenses with the conventional gearbox) which is expected show up in the next generation Jazz https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hybrid-honda-jazz-confirmed-2020. It remains to be seen when in 2020 we see it at the dealers. 

While Honda temporarily retreated from selling hybrids in Europe (I recall that they were disappointed by the low sales of the hybrid Jazz), they have been busy in Asia refining their hybrid systems and battery vehicles and with diesel no longer being in favour in Europe, see the opportunity for introducing those models here. The next year or so could be quite interesting. The very low tax on hybrid vehicles was increased for all. Probably the government reckoned it had given enough encouragement. I believe that battery vehicles are still tax exempt.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 10:41:42 PM »
Hi all,

People obviously do not want all the tech and driver aids in newer models and who can blame them, also seems like no room now in wheel well for even a spacesaver - car makers are really losing the plot and need to get back to basics a bit,  the average age of Jazz buyers has to be over 50 and they probably don't want touchscreens but do want a spare wheel.

I agree 100%. Car makers have fooled themselves into supplying what the salesmen want to sell and not what the customer wants to buy. All these features should only be options. I will keep my 2014 Jazz until it dies and will now only buy second hand cars made pre 2015 for the same value I would have bought new.

Better the devil.....etc.

I do hope the move to hybrid/ electric cars does not prove to be the complete disaster that was diesel for the average Joe.

I suspect the overall environmental impact of electric vehicles is much greater than an equivalent petrol vehicle.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
Members will have seen from my other posts, that I have taken the plunge and brought another EX, same colour!
This came about because Dealer contacted me with a 'Special offer'.
The bottom line turned out to be over £2k less than I had previously been quoted, provided it was registered before the end of the month, which I could live with. Delivery was today, very nice, but I just need to get to the bottom of why I can't store my full size spare wheel in the boot?

Tags:

anything