Author Topic: Strange brief 1-2 seconds relay/solinoid like clicking noise once when cold  (Read 3108 times)

jd1959

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 GE6 Jazz 1.4 Manual
Hello all, briefly, I have owned Honda's most of my life moderately competent 'shady tree' mechanic and reasonably familiar with the systems in the Jazz/Fit platform having previously owned a GD1 Fit and a GB1 Mobilio.

I have been having a weird problem recently and have had no luck figuring out what is starting to cause issue.

2011 Jazz 1.4 manual, manual HVAC.  Only symptom is a brief 1-2 seconds of repeated clicking almost like a bad actuator (recirculate actuator is fine), or sticking solenoid, from the firewall area, after about 30 second of starting and moving off, only when cold and only happens once, until the car sits till reasonably cold again. 

Happens most often, but not always after shifting to second, and after or during turning, no notchy-ness or lack of smoothness there.  Slight vibration felt through the heels of my feet.  No CEL or codes in any of the modules.  No other symptoms or issues. 

I'm very reliant on the car and average 130 miles a day on it, so I'm hoping to fix and prevent downtime before it is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or previous experience folks have had, or ideas for systems to check.

jd1959

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 GE6 Jazz 1.4 Manual
Just to help anyone else with this I eventually tracked it down to the tensioner, by all appearances and position markings it appeared fine still loads of spring tension as well, but the noise didn't happen when running it without the aux belt and the rest of the pulleys seemed fine, so I gambled on replacement.  In disassembly, the inside where the spring sits was full of the white aluminium oxidation dust and one of the plastic bushes was cracked.  I don't know what the mode of failure was, but replacing it solved the problem.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
You may get more info & solutions on your Fit by searching the USA fitfreak.net website.
Plenty of topics and joining is free.

Tags:

anything