Author Topic: What roads to drive on and gears to use for the best MPG/fuel saving?  (Read 11022 times)

jazzgd5

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.2 S
Hi all.
I own a 2007 Honda Jazz 1.2 S with roughly 150k on the clock. No issues other than a dirty EGR valve that im going to clean soon.
I travel to work everyday and have 2 choices of route, either a single carriadgeway 30 road with some traffic lights, sometimes busy or a dual carriageway with 40mph speeds and roundabouts with barely any traffic but is roughly 1-2 miles longer distance. I am wondering which route is best for fuel economy.
On top of this, what gears are best to use for fuel saving, Ive always heard the rule of thumb to be highest gear possible, but doesnt the engines in the jazzes work opposite of VTEC, as in the valves will be fully open at the beginning of the revs and then close slightly above a certain rev, as this would then mean driving in higher gears is technically better for fuel? as the valves are "less open". Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 08:02:30 AM by jazzgd5 »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: What roads to drive on and gears to use for the best MPG/fuel saving?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 02:42:21 PM »
Drive the route you prefer, fuel economy on 2mile variance you'll never notice.
Enjoy your jazz

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 04:22:39 PM »
Some cars struggle  going as slow as 30 mph in 5th and might give better mpg in 4th because the engine is running at a more efficient speed.. Idling  when stopped in heavy traffic and at traffic lights  uses fuel , which is why stop start systems were developed to save fuel.  (When they actually work)  . I suspect there wont be much difference between the two in fuel, but the route that has less stopping may also have an advantage of less wear and tear on clutch ,brakes and tyres , and less time breathing in traffic fumes.  a constant 40 mph in 5th is about as fuel efficient as it gets. 

You could try brimming the tank,  run one route for a week or so, and record exactly  how much fuel it takes to brim the tank again. Then do the same procedure using the alternative route for the same number of days and compare how much petrol was needed this time.    (Brimming means carefully filling the tank until you can actually see petrol in the filler neck )

Another possibility.  I believe google maps, and possibly some sat navs, have an option to favour   the most fuel efficient route. You can also enter a start time to reflect rush hour traffic conditions.  .   See what it suggests for your commute.  It might even suggest one route as best going to work and a different one when returning home.  Or an alternative route you had never thought of.

Edit. Even though you are familiar with the routes  it might help to always have a live traffic data  apps such as waze  running on your phone, .If it detects  slower than usual traffic ahead, perhaps a delay, it might divert you onto a better route
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:46:50 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

c.lday44

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSi
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 07:56:35 PM »
Just drive the car. You won't notice much difference. I'd take the 40mph dual carriageway personally. Also MK1 Jazz doesn't have VTEC in Europe. The Fit in the states does but not here.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
In basic petrol engines the best fuel consumption is typically achieved if you keep the revs between roughly 1750 and 2250rpm and don't use big throttle openings.
Fuel economy and fuel efficiency aren't quite the same thing, don't confuse the two. Efficiency means getting the most energy out of the fuel you burn, but you might be demanding more energy than you necessarily need to so end up using more fuel overall.
Modern engines are a little more complicated with variable systems,  but broadly the same guide applies.
Look up "BSFC map" on Google and you'll see what is often called an "onion map" ( like rings in a cut onion), which shows how much fuel is used to release a given amount of energy to the output at different engine speeds and loads. Try to use the engine near the "eye" of the onion, not too fast and not too much throttle.
Vehicle speed and acceleration are the principal factors. Try to keep moderate speed and don't accelerate rapidly.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
So the best road to use is the onion ring road, and dont stop for a leek .  ;D  Sorry, couldnt resist. :-[  The BSFC info is quite interesting.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: