Author Topic: Windscreen scrapers and frost covers  (Read 2419 times)

Jazz2021

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 69mpg
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2021
Windscreen scrapers and frost covers
« on: September 05, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
Our six-year old HR-V, which we traded in for a new Jazz SR a few days ago, had scratches on the outside of the windscreen where we had hacked off ice. I want to avoid that with the new car. So I have two questions. Does anyone have recommendations for:

-- Ice scrapers that don't damage the glass
-- Windscreen protection covers that prevent the screen frosting over but don't scratch the metal work with their magnets, and don't cost the earth

I did search this forum and found one thread about windscreen covers but it was for an earlier model and the last update was 2016. I imagine technology and options have changed since then.

I'd be grateful for any tips from Jazz owners who've worked out a solution.

Thanks
"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they've found it." Andre Gide

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Windscreen scrapers and frost covers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »
Lidl do great windscreen covers for £2 or £3 from time to time. Reflective foil on one side soft on the other.

Jazz2021

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 69mpg
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2021
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 08:48:40 AM »
Lidl do great windscreen covers for £2 or £3 from time to time. Reflective foil on one side soft on the other.

Thanks for that. How do they attach? Is it by trapping the ends in the door, with ties, or with magnets on the bonnet?

I have read that trapping the ends in the door can lead to moister seeping into the vehicle and, in some cases, damaging the electrics in the door controls. I also read that some magnets can scratch the bonnet, and that the ties on some products are flimsy and come off.

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they've found it." Andre Gide

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
The best solution would be a heated windscreen, quick defrost and no danger of scratching the glass. Sadly heated windscreens are not available on the Jazz or any Honda's, you have to wonder why heated rear screens are a standard fit but not heated windscreens.
You could use a defrost aerosol or a hair dryer if you can plug it in conveniently. I have seen fan type heaters that run off the 12V socket for defrosting - run the engine to protect the battery of course. Anything really to avoid scraping and scratching every day.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
It seems to me that in the UK we don't have that many frosty mornings these days; I cannot imagine why  ::)

If I find the car frosted up I intend to sit in the car with the engine running until the ice melts enough to use the wipers.
Neil Ives

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »

Thanks for that. How do they attach? Is it by trapping the ends in the door, with ties, or with magnets on the bonnet?

I have read that trapping the ends in the door can lead to moister seeping into the vehicle and, in some cases, damaging the electrics in the door controls. I also read that some magnets can scratch the bonnet, and that the ties on some products are flimsy and come off.
Just jams in door and under wipers. Lasts several winters- until piping round the edges becomes separated.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 10:29:42 AM »
A jug of cold water works very well, not hot or warm, cold.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »
A jug of cold water works very well, not hot or warm, cold.
+1

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
I tucked the frost cover inside both door shuts. The first time I used one the passenger door was frozen shut and would'nt open so I had to cut the sheet off. :o

The best solution would be a heated windscreen, quick defrost and no danger of scratching the glass. Sadly heated windscreens are not available on the Jazz or any Honda's, you have to wonder why heated rear screens are a standard

Ford had the patent for heated front windscreens until around ten years ago, hence why some cars from brands they used to own, such as Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and Mazda had them.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
I've previously used warm water without any issue.

No need now because it's garaged.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
I have to park outside and am in a very severe front area - sometimes there is even ice on the inside of the windscreen too!

I've found a bottle of Autoglym De-Icer in the boot is excellent. Paint safe and sprays a fine sticky mist.

By the time you have walked round the car spraying the windows lightly, they are defrosted ready to be squeegeed clean on the next pass.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
I tucked the frost cover inside both door shuts. The first time I used one the passenger door was frozen shut and would'nt open so I had to cut the sheet off. :o

The best solution would be a heated windscreen, quick defrost and no danger of scratching the glass. Sadly heated windscreens are not available on the Jazz or any Honda's, you have to wonder why heated rear screens are a standard

Ford had the patent for heated front windscreens until around ten years ago, hence why some cars from brands they used to own, such as Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and Mazda had them.
But Skoda’s have heated windscreens and they are definitely not a Ford brand being part of the VAG empire.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 02:33:21 PM »
I have to park outside and am in a very severe front area - sometimes there is even ice on the inside of the windscreen too!

I've found a bottle of Autoglym De-Icer in the boot is excellent. Paint safe and sprays a fine sticky mist.

By the time you have walked round the car spraying the windows lightly, they are defrosted ready to be squeegeed clean on the next pass.

I found AutoGlym de-icer excellent as well,  on winter mornings on morning shift ( most people still asleep when I left home ).  A little bit goes a long way, unlike some types where you spray half a bottle on and by the time you have sprayed the last window the first one is frozen again  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
I have driven cars with heated windscreens ( never owned one ) and with sun on windscreen once you have seen the shiny wired embedded in glass it is hard to ignore them.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything